The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 03:53:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350768 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  something really done differently, but with same ingredients?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: something really done differently, but with same ingredients?  (Read 3559 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: August 08, 2008, 21:51:12 pm »

I wish I had unlimited time and $

My car, in my view, is such a compromise of what I want, really. I've got a vision, and it may be way different that what everybody else is doing but I think it would be pretty cool. I'd use my existing car for the base, along with its current color, but with a fresh respray.
First, the entire car would be dechromed as Aronson's '63 was, but with no bumpers, no T bars, no holes for brackets. Think smooth. No hood handle, no VW emblem on hood, no window molding, no "VOLKSWAGEN" script on decklid. No window-molding brightwork, though the car would retain vent wings, with satin black divider and window scraper molding. Slight grey tint on all glass. Chrome '67 USA headlight bezels with my Marchal H4's. Flat 4 BRM's but detailed, polished lip and ribs, the area normally black would be a gun-metal/bronze grey. Interior would be 356 GT Speedster Reutter buckets, upholstered in royal blue corduroy with grey stitching, perlon carpet, dash as it is in my car currently, with VDO Cockpit stuff old EMPI wheel old Berg Shifter. Roll cage in same grey/bronze as spokes on Berms. Who the hell knows what the motor would be....   but it would be very very clean. Either sheetmetal would be painted Adriatic Porsche Blue, like the car, or the grey/bronze. Polished custom alloy firewall, with sides made with reverse, contoured air scoops ducting air from under fenders, Dow 7 coated tall IDA manifolds, shroud like Dumper's, Vertex....

Sam K

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 01:55:10 am »

I understand exactly how you feel. If I had the budget, I could build several different versions of both my '67 Bug and my '68 Camaro. Probably a couple differenty versions of my WRX too.  To the untrained eye, they would all be very similar, but very different under the skin.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:11:56 am »

Sounds like you want to build a Cal-look car, Jim.   Cool

Mike H.

Sven was right.
stealth67vw

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 16:48:35 pm »

Dow 7 coated tall IDA manifolds

Dow 7 is for magnesium, you want Alodine coating for aluminum. It looks like gold anodize but with a flat finish instead of a glossy finish. We do this at my work in a 5 gallon bucket on small batches of machined parts.

http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/corrosion/alodine.htm

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 18:38:45 pm »

Yeah, but if you did all that shit, we'd never see you again...you'd be afraid to DRIVE it! Wink

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 23:01:55 pm »

Dow 7 is for magnesium, you want Alodine coating for aluminum. It looks like gold anodize but with a flat finish instead of a glossy finish. We do this at my work in a 5 gallon bucket on small batches of machined parts.

dude hook me up
stealth67vw

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:55:24 am »

dude hook me up

You my n%@ga, of course I'll hook you up.  Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 20:54:45 pm »

Sounds like you want to build a Cal-look car, Jim.   Cool
LOL Sounds Old School?  Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 12:55:30 pm »

Yeah sounds old skool all dechromed and all.Isnt that the real cal look? Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 16:07:32 pm »

no I think it would just look good in the sun after I'm buzzed and done washing it.
58vw

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 00:50:20 am »

I wish I had unlimited time and $

My car, in my view, is such a compromise of what I want, really. I've got a vision, and it may be way different that what everybody else is doing but I think it would be pretty cool. I'd use my existing car for the base, along with its current color, but with a fresh respray.
First, the entire car would be dechromed as Aronson's '63 was, but with no bumpers, no T bars, no holes for brackets. Think smooth. No hood handle, no VW emblem on hood, no window molding, no "VOLKSWAGEN" script on decklid. No window-molding brightwork, though the car would retain vent wings, with satin black divider and window scraper molding. Slight grey tint on all glass. Chrome '67 USA headlight bezels with my Marchal H4's. Flat 4 BRM's but detailed, polished lip and ribs, the area normally black would be a gun-metal/bronze grey. Interior would be 356 GT Speedster Reutter buckets, upholstered in royal blue corduroy with grey stitching, perlon carpet, dash as it is in my car currently, with VDO Cockpit stuff old EMPI wheel old Berg Shifter. Roll cage in same grey/bronze as spokes on Berms. Who the hell knows what the motor would be....   but it would be very very clean. Either sheetmetal would be painted Adriatic Porsche Blue, like the car, or the grey/bronze. Polished custom alloy firewall, with sides made with reverse, contoured air scoops ducting air from under fenders, Dow 7 coated tall IDA manifolds, shroud like Dumper's, Vertex....

and a 3 litre

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 00:51:08 am »

oh yeah how could I forget.
Tony M

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 02:20:37 am »

Well when you have been in the sun -  Shocked

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »