The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 12:08:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350742 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Out for a Sunday Drive
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Out for a Sunday Drive  (Read 7158 times)
Sarge

« on: October 06, 2008, 05:38:47 am »

First Sunday of the month today, so a trip to Nick's and a club meeting to attend.  Carlos, Don Brown, and Ratto came by the house for a few cold ones before the trip to OC.  The weather has finally cooled here to where cars like being driven again and our ride through Carbon Canyon put large grins on all our faces.  The canyon is often a slow drive as there's always a load of traffic, but today we had everything to ourselves and we whipped it pretty good.  One of the smallest turnouts at Nick's as the Vegas Bug-O-Rama was this weekend and it's getting dark early now.

DKP III
Rob DVKK

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 06:27:10 am »

Hey Sarge,

Bitchin' pics. A couple of the guys were in vegas this weekend, and the weather has been sketchy as of late so the turn out wasn't big, but a few guys got together for what will probably be the last cruise of this year.

Trying out the new camera.

not sure if this was a gt-2 with out the wing or and RS. Had all the right stuff and sounded nasty.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 07:47:07 am »

The black Ovale is bad ass!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

And you are lucky with weather. Here in Belgium, it's raining all day long for some days...  Roll Eyes
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 07:55:08 am »

Good pics, guys.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
67worshipper

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 08:50:34 am »

you lucky people.it rained here all weekend  Cry

vw hot rod heaven
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2008, 11:41:27 am »

Shame that here in holland peops dont come along your house like what Sarge is telling.In general dutch people what i experience arent that openminded and social on those terms.You have a few of course dont get me wrong Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

That because we don't have those bigass driveways Bewitched Tongue. Well at the DVK we do come together before a meeting so Smiley.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 13:21:11 pm »

The black Oval is bad ass!  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yes, it IS! Wink  Don Brown has had some nice cars over the years.  This one's running a 2376.  Currently, Don's plans are to sell the Oval as he has two '67's that's he's building out in the garage.

Hey Sarge,

Bitchin' pics. A couple of the guys were in vegas this weekend, and the weather has been sketchy as of late so the turn out wasn't big, but a few guys got together for what will probably be the last cruise of this year.

Trying out the new camera.

Thanks, Rob..., your pics are beautiful.  What camera did you settle on?  I guess I probably should never complain about our weather in So Cal... Roll Eyes Grin

Shame that here in holland peops dont come along your house like what Sarge is telling.In general dutch people what i experience arent that openminded and social on those terms.You have a few of course dont get me wrong Cool

You know, that's half the fun of being in a car club... the social comraderie! Cool

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 13:29:50 pm »

Looks like fun!  Jim's gotta get the long-distance award, I bet that's a good hike from up his way out to the 909, and back to O.C.!

Rob, I like that oval a lot.  I don't know why so many people run the polished 5-spokes when they're so much cooler as-cast and painted!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 13:46:47 pm »

Looks like fun!  Jim's gotta get the long-distance award, I bet that's a good hike from up his way out to the 909, and back to O.C.!

Rob, I like that oval a lot.  I don't know why so many people run the polished 5-spokes when they're so much cooler as-cast and painted!

It's 80 miles from Jim's place to my house and another 20 over to Nick's, so yeah, he gets the award..., and with a 4:37 box to boot!  I agree with you on Rob's spokes, too, but to a point.  I think the grey looks best on a blue car... Bill Schwimmer and Glenn Gaskey traded
wheels a while back and the five spokes looked better on the blue car. $.02 Wink

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 14:02:23 pm »

A Black Oval Rag will be my next VW. Sweet Car!

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2008, 16:19:58 pm »

huh? I can't hear you...... 

Lots of fun yesterday! Sarge you did an awesome job as "leader".... that car boogies! You should adopt a new nickname.... like "Andretti"

got brakes?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2008, 16:20:43 pm »

nice pict bro i love this place that remember me the day we left for the bug in  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
lawrence

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2008, 17:40:29 pm »

Carlos' car looks GOOD on BRMs. What looker doesn't though Grin

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
67worshipper

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2008, 17:51:02 pm »

abit of a job changing the wheels on carlos,s car if he was running porsche stud pattern Undecided

vw hot rod heaven
Rob DVKK

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 18:43:41 pm »

Thanks, Rob..., your pics are beautiful.  What camera did you settle on?  I guess I probably should never complain about our weather in So Cal... Roll Eyes Grin

Avril bought me a canon - xti for xmas last year. Haven't really had much time to drive or take pics of the car this year though. Not a bad little DSLR once you switch out the lens. The only problem is I can't stop looking at gear for it.

I guess it is the same as the car - a tweak here and change there and the next thing you know you've blown through a couple of years worth of salary.

I have run both. My old oval ran black 5 spokes. This one used to run polished - back when you had to send them out and get it done. Once they were available off the shelf with a decent polish job everyone had them.

Also I'm a bit lazy when it comes to spending time polishing my wheels - a lip is a lot less work than the whole shebang.

Sarge

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 18:49:05 pm »

Lots of fun yesterday! Sarge you did an awesome job as "leader".... that car boogies! You should adopt a new nickname.... like "Andretti"

got brakes?

Gotta have some whoapower to go with the horsepower... makes carvin' the turns way easier.  We need more drives like that! Cool Cool Cool

nice pict bro i love this place that remember me the day we left for the bug in  Wink

Thanks Fabs! Grin

I'll second that!! Grin

Avril bought me a canon - xti for xmas last year. Haven't really had much time to drive or take pics of the car this year though. Not a bad little DSLR once you switch out the lens. The only problem is I can't stop looking at gear for it.

I guess it is the same as the car - a tweak here and change there and the next thing you know you've blown through a couple of years worth of salary.

Hey, it's only money, right?  Live it up!!

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 20:02:42 pm »

got brakes?

Gotta have some whoapower to go with the horsepower... makes carvin' the turns way easier.  We need more drives like that! Cool Cool Cool

Thanks Fabs! Grin

I'll second that!! Grin

Hey, it's only money, right?  Live it up!!

What's amazing, Sarge, is that I am still on same tank of gas that I left Simi on yesterday, and drove to work today!  Shocked
Even after all that hot footed driving trying to keep up with you!
Sarge

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2008, 20:57:02 pm »

Maybe you need to fatten it up a little... Wink Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2008, 21:04:03 pm »

Maybe you need to fatten up a little... Wink Grin

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

so what if I had two lunches yesterday!  Angry

Grin
vwcab

peter

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2008, 21:53:25 pm »

That's one bitchin black oval,I love it Shocked Shocked
If I had that car,I would NEVER sell it. Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
Sarge

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 06:02:42 am »

That's one bitchin black oval,I love it Shocked Shocked
If I had that car,I would NEVER sell it. Wink

Grin

DKP III
BLITZY

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2008, 20:45:43 pm »

Hi Sarge,

Just want to thank you for the wonderful experience I had during the last DKP Cruise Night riding your '67...hope to see you guys again...Have a great day!!!

Paul
BLITZY

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2008, 20:47:10 pm »

Here's Blitzy, my '65 running project I was telling you about....

Paul
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 20:50:51 pm by BLITZY » Logged
BLITZY

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2008, 20:48:30 pm »

Here's another shot...I hope someday, I can be part of the most prestigious VW Club on earth, DKP !!!!

Thanks,

Paul
lawrence

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2008, 22:04:48 pm »

Hey Blitzy, I have seen pictures of your car in the emails that "Deutchland" sends. Looks good. I plan to show up at a meet soon. My car has been down for a few months. Tell those guys I said "whats up."

"Happiness is a Hot VW!"
BLITZY

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2008, 22:15:36 pm »

Hey Lawrence -- There's a bug meet tomorrow @ 6:30 by A&W KFC along El Camino Real....
Sarge

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2008, 22:56:49 pm »

Hi Sarge,

Just want to thank you for the wonderful experience I had during the last DKP Cruise Night riding your '67...hope to see you guys again...Have a great day!!!

Paul

Your welcome, Paul... my pleasure!  I like your car!! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
BLITZY

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2008, 23:09:47 pm »

Thanks....

By the way, i followed your advice regarding the A-1 muffler i was asking you about, i finally got it from Dave of VeeDub Parts Unlmtd. Now I gotta save $$$ for my headers....

Paul
63 ripper

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2008, 23:18:25 pm »

here's the only half decent photo i took of my favourite cal-look cab,a couple of sundays ago  Smiley

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: