The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 17:55:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350700 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  release bearing clearance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: release bearing clearance  (Read 3948 times)
Andy Sykes

« on: November 07, 2015, 16:25:32 pm »

Hi

anybody with the engine out of their car could you measure from the front of the cluch release bearing to the back of the bell housing please

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
Andy Sykes

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 21:12:53 pm »

Anybody ?

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

richie

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 21:22:21 pm »

Engine is out cab now so can measure for you, will bus box measurement do? and when you say back of bellhousing do you mean near front of car or where engine mounts to?

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
leec

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 22:08:40 pm »

I could measure a type 1 box if you can wait till Sunday? But as Richie asked can you confirm where you want it measured to
Lee
spanners

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 23:28:00 pm »

It's a variable rather than a given dimension, a 2mm wear factor in use is reasonable on a clutch disc and will cause about 20/25mm adjustment variation on the fingers, self adjusting with hydraulic, or twirl the wing nut with a cable, with no cable attached on a T1 'box, the bearing sits relaxed back on the guide tube flange, I measured on the front most of the sliding witness marks on the guide tube and got 30MM, again, my set up is 3 puck paddle plate on KEP S2 pressure plate late type with no pad, the thicker black magic discs would push the cover plate fingers nearer to the flywheel, increasing the measurement required, so an average figure would be 30 to 40 MM with a T1box, stock clutch.
With my twin disc Sachs clutch, I had to 'stack' the release bearing in order to reach the pressure plate fingers with correct running clearance. The late bus boxes use a deeper bell housing for the big 228mm bus clutch which is also deeper then a T1 clutch, hence the extended bell and long nose starter pinion and extended input shaft they use to reach the flywheel, it was a bus box I had to stack the release bearing in order to reach the clutch fingers, hope that helps, but every set up is different and that's not getting near the Porsche/mendeola variables.

Best regards, spanners.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 11:36:43 am »

thank everybody I need to work out how much space I have to fit a concentric hydraulic release bearing so I need it from the back of the bell housing near the input shaft to the front of the release bearing if that make more sense

cheers andy

richie

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 17:49:53 pm »

38.87mm on old cab, but release bearing is adjusted to take up some of free play so that's not minimum measurement it can be. I think you need to fit a stock bearing to your box and measure it really as mendy stuff is not actual vw so fork might be different thickness etc 

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Andy Sykes

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 18:13:12 pm »

Ok thanks that gives me an idea I don't have fork as I wasn't sure what I was doing, but I have a plan just need to see if I can find a bearing now

Cheers Andy

Phil West

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 13:58:27 pm »

Hi

anybody with the engine out of their car could you measure from the front of the cluch release bearing to the back of the bell housing please

Measured mine today - 55.5mm.  40mm with clutch depressed.  Cheers
Phil
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: