The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 23:44:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350754 Posts in 28585 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  another topic for debate: into Cal Look as a collector or a user?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: another topic for debate: into Cal Look as a collector or a user?  (Read 6962 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: January 05, 2008, 01:03:59 am »

would like to hear some opinions on this topic.

Do you enjoy finding old Deano and Empi stuff still in boxes and keep them NOS and unused? Or do you see no problem with putting the valuables to use? Or do you make stuff work with everyday parts that while, not hard to come by, still work nicely. Do you have a Cal Look museum?

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 01:26:48 am »

I like to buy nice items, like the early finger grip 5 speed handle and the NOS parts, then use them on the car. I have an NOS 67 rear apron I plan to install and have the cut outs filled. Same with the NOS '67 decklid I bought. I am interested in cars with a certain feel to them. While not building an exact replica of a '70s - early 80s car, using the parts from that era help to create that flavor of a car. I would be the guy who would buy the rare NOS EMPI slipper skirt pistons, then use them in an engine.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:36:44 am »

would like to hear some opinions on this topic.

Do you enjoy finding old Deano and Empi stuff still in boxes and keep them NOS and unused? Or do you see no problem with putting the valuables to use? Or do you make stuff work with everyday parts that while, not hard to come by, still work nicely. Do you have a Cal Look museum?

Yes
No
Sometimes
Yes

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 03:06:25 am »

I have no problem pulling NOS parts out of boxes, after all they were meant to be used, right? And what good are they sitting on the shelf? Show off to your buddies? Baahh. Ive unwrapped a few NOS EMPI parts for my GTV thus far, and I have no regrets. I plan to do many more Wink

I dont know if you could say I have a museum, but I do have a lot of EMPI, DDS, Race-Trim, Treuhaft, ect parts. But they all have a date with a car that is already built in my head, even if I dont even own that car yet. And they are in boxes, not behind glass doors so it cant be a museum, right? Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 08:55:57 am »

I have no problem pulling NOS parts out of boxes, after all they were meant to be used, right? And what good are they sitting on the shelf? Show off to your buddies? Baahh. Ive unwrapped a few NOS EMPI parts for my GTV thus far, and I have no regrets. I plan to do many more Wink

I dont know if you could say I have a museum, but I do have a lot of EMPI, DDS, Race-Trim, Treuhaft, ect parts. But they all have a date with a car that is already built in my head, even if I dont even own that car yet. And they are in boxes, not behind glass doors so it cant be a museum, right? Wink

I colect empi stuff for a long time sometimes i use and open it some other time i simply colect them to display in my shell  at home
I try to make an empi GTV ghia so I need to find and use many other empi stuff to complete my car if I find them boxed I will open the box

bathing ape

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 09:22:22 am »

i also like collecting empi parts,no problem using new old stock,i use everything,sell what doesn't get used
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 09:41:07 am »

i also like collecting empi parts,no problem using new old stock,i use everything,sell what doesn't get used

so tell me you don't need anymore your empi exhaust Grin Roll Eyes Wink
ESH

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 14:07:53 pm »

I've never collected any old stuff as I've always needed the money for the car! That said I've never really sold much stuff either and have quite a few boxes of stuff I doubt I'll use and some of it would be pretty hard to get now. Thinking about it I'm on the look out for a few nice collectibles but not a load, just a couple of items from two different companies of similar origin but I doubt I'd use these parts as there's better stuff available now. I think if I found the right complete motor I coud be interested.

Smiley
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 16:24:06 pm »

good thread jim  Grin Grin
I collected  old stuff not to put in a windows  but rather in my car or on the engine  Grin
these parts were made to be assembled on the cars, then I don't see why one could not any more the rises today on our used or not
on my car i've those -empi parts: gauges , steering wheel ,dashtop , rear bucket seats , empi/speedwell sprintkit , oil pump , oil sump , 5empi5 , NOS camber compensator
                             -dds shifter
                             -topline NOS alu t bars
my car is a little museum ,when I built my car, I put my parts; so that people who never saw this kind of goodies even can Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
as far as everyone benefits from it that of left in the window where only people that that doesn't interest sees them Smiley
that's my opinion
rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Cornpanzer

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 16:33:01 pm »

There have been times when I tried to form a collection, but usually I end up selling everything off to pay for some other cool toy that I want.  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Donny B.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 16:58:53 pm »

I don't collect Empi stuff I collect Berg stuff although I do have a few Empi items, nothing big though.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
JS

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 18:06:27 pm »

I use old parts and new parts. As long as they work. I own a working street driven car that I really enjoy, not a museum.

Signature.
mr.speedwell

speedwell rules

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 18:22:42 pm »

everything that will fit my car goes on the car
nos or not doesn't mater
why make some other happy when you dead and gone Grin
bathing ape

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 19:00:30 pm »

nice try fred Cheesy
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 20:24:21 pm »

nice try fred Cheesy

damned Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
maX cal-look

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 21:19:32 pm »

Hello,
Very interresting topic ! People thinks different but like same things !  Roll Eyes
Everything I buy is for my Vw, NOS or used I put on my 67 !  Grin
So not museum for me !  Wink

besserwisser

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 23:58:42 pm »

I do too buy a lot of old parts bur to be honest a lot of early empi and Race-trim and Autohaus stuff are of such bad quality that I would never put it on my cars. Just finished a motor for a customer who were into Race-trim stuff. The sump had no reinforcment inside and the material is so thin that worn out threads is very common on theese early sumps. The valve covers have such a shallow outside lip that it doesn´t even cover the gasket. I also have collected old oilpumps like the ones you see in How to Hotrod......
I woul never use one of those in my Hi po motors. Dont get me wrong I like the stuff but its history and nice to have on the shelf. When I DO find some old stuff that works I always use them in my cars. How many are running an old Bugspark distributor made by the Mr Gasket company.IF it works use it otherwise chrome it.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 02:15:44 am »

I'd guess I am both.
I have an original 1966 Empi GTV MKIV that I am using all the Empi, DDS, Speedwell parts I can find !
I also have quite an extensive collection of NOS vintage speed parts, literature and memorabilia.
A DKP collection too !
 Grin
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 03:00:00 am »

I have an original 1966 Empi GTV MKIV that I am using all the Empi, DDS, Speedwell parts I can find !

Im beginning to think that this car is nothing more than a creation from your imagination Wink
Lets see some new pictures!!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2008, 13:11:25 pm »

I'd guess I am both.
I also have quite an extensive collection of NOS vintage speed parts, literature and memorabilia.
A DKP collection too !
 Grin

PLEASE POST PICTURES RICHARD

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 22:50:26 pm »

Okay, not the most exciting pictures in the world.
But, I just mounted the DDS breather box and the Empi Transispark ignition.
You can also see the tubes connected to the functional Empi side scoops.
IP359

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 22:55:11 pm »

Not more ?  Cry

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2008, 21:47:51 pm »

got the same ignition from empi in my ghia
please more picture of your ride richard
empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2008, 21:49:22 pm »

I forget to say that the transispark work so fine
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 04:27:06 am »

its cool collecting the parts a little like treasure hunting, but scary driveing in california. no tale gaters in nev.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
bathing ape

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 14:53:20 pm »

got the same ignition from empi in my ghia
please more picture of your ride richard

me too!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: