The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 01:36:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Java.... is your motor ready?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Java.... is your motor ready?  (Read 17340 times)

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2009, 21:10:06 pm »

I wish you one flawless engine! Is that a Motorola alternator? It is shaped slightly different then Bosch alternators we have in Europe.
peach_

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2009, 21:19:25 pm »

Rough mock up:

Should be back in "permanently" by the end of the week.  Plumb the oil lines, wire the fuel pump, and we'll see what happens.

Im liking this Cool

Whats that behind the fan?

A oil breather?

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2009, 02:34:56 am »

Thanks guys.  Might be a Motorola alternator.  I am swapping in the Bosch from my old engine since I know it works.

Yes, that is the crankcase breather back there.  I dig it.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Mike Maize

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2009, 02:12:26 am »

I guess someone is too busy putting miles on to give an update Roll Eyes
javabug

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2009, 13:05:36 pm »

Updates are worthless without pics and video. 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2009, 20:12:20 pm »

have you been in jail yet?
javabug

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2009, 01:50:54 am »

Not yet.  Still trying.  Actually haven't had the car out since Sunday.   Cry

Mike H.

Sven was right.
67worshipper

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2009, 13:23:12 pm »

any updates for us yet java? Grin

vw hot rod heaven
javabug

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2009, 13:52:24 pm »

Good morning.   Cheesy

Yeah I've been getting some miles on it when I can, and working out the "fresh engine blues."  Just haven't had a chance to get any pics or video yet.  I will say that it runs great, sounds awesome, and I think it might be fast.

Thanks for asking, I'll try and get some pics and a video up for you guys soon.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
javabug

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2009, 22:25:52 pm »

Here's a pic as it sits now after a couple hundred miles.  I tried a video but it wasn't coming out so good, this might have to do for now.  Runs real strong, good fun to drive.  Some carb tuning wil be needed next year as it seems a little rich.  But it is totally driveable as is and I've only worried about getting some miles on and making sure all is well.  I have a Bosch 010 for it, just needs a clean and lube and that will go into service.

When I get a good transmission, the tin will get painted and things detailed up a bit.  I guess I am pretty happy with the install, it came out clean~ish.  Feel free to critique it.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2009, 22:53:01 pm »

NICE! Only thing I'd change is paint the shroud black. Cool you're adding a Bosch .010 distributor, too. 

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2009, 23:25:11 pm »

check the tin fitting around oil cooler with motor out. This is how I had to modify mine round shroud:

javabug

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 00:09:35 am »

Yeah 181, I had to tweak mine a little, and around the "cover" for the cooler in the back, as it was no where near fitting! 

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Sarge

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2009, 18:31:06 pm »

Lookin' GOOD, Mike... glad to see your finally burning gas again! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
63 ripper

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2009, 19:50:29 pm »

cool car. what mufflers are those and are they close to your traction bar ? thanks

JG54

twelve-zeros, back in the day.
javabug

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 02:56:28 am »

Burning gas and  rubber now.   Grin

Ripper, the mufflers are those sold by CB Performance.  They're pretty nice, but you can see that for perfect fitment I will have to do some work.  I can't answer your traction bar question as mine has not yet been fitted.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 18:58:10 pm »

I really like the mufflers. They appear to be a (much) larger muffler than the typical "dual quiets", same with tailpipes.
How do they sound?
javabug

« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2009, 14:42:43 pm »

They're quiet.  No, really...they seem to have a good tone, but it stays underneath the carb and valvetrain noise.  I think you have a point about the mufflers being larger, as I'd like to get them tucked under the back of the car more but there doesn't seem to be much room before they hit the extractor.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
63 ripper

« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2009, 19:12:34 pm »

I think you have a point about the mufflers being larger, as I'd like to get them tucked under the back of the car more but there doesn't seem to be much room before they hit the extractor.

it does look like that from the photo...also why i was wondering about it hitting the traction bar too. maybe an A1 lowdown header might help ?

JG54

Tobi/DFL

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2009, 20:09:40 pm »

Hi Java,

your engine looks nice. I used the same CB dual quites up until 2 years ago and was really happy with the sound and performance. What I didnīt like too much was the fact that it doesnīt really hide below the fenders and rear valance so I cut the piece from the flange to the triangular gusset and shortened the (1 5/8") header about 1 inch as well so I could use a bigger flange and - in my opinion - better looks. The engine worked quite good but it felt that from 7000rpm upwards it could have been better so I decided to farbricate my own dual quiet mufflers with bigger tubing. Interestingely it didnīt really help. Wink I think that the mufflers I used were more restrictive than the ones used in the CB system.
Bye,

Tobi
javabug

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2009, 21:05:48 pm »

Hi Tobi, thanks for the words.  Your car is a favorite of mine, so that was nice to hear.

It is interesting to read about your home-built duals, as I was considering making some, but if you didn't notice much improvement then I may save my energy.  I doubt my combo needs to be over 7k rpm much.  I do intend on some cutting and re-fitting however.

it does look like that from the photo...also why i was wondering about it hitting the traction bar too. maybe an A1 lowdown header might help ?

Ripper, if I get a couple minutes tonight I'll crawl under the back of the car and have a look around for you.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
javabug

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2009, 04:03:16 am »

Ripper, if I get a couple minutes tonight I'll crawl under the back of the car and have a look around for you.

Looks like there could  be interference if the muffs tuck nicely under the car, but think it will all fit together just fine.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
63 ripper

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2009, 22:49:48 pm »

Looks like there could  be interference if the muffs tuck nicely under the car, but think it will all fit together just fine.

cool, update us all if you make any changes to them. thanks

JG54

javabug

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2011, 02:49:22 am »

Alrighty ... small update here. Straightened out the muffs, fit them under the fenders a little better, and a new coat of paint. Traction bar is also installed, and everything is living together under there in relative harmony. This will be the season of fixing lots of little things.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Chris W

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2011, 02:59:27 am »

Those mufflers look great!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2011, 03:16:56 am »

Slowly but surely, we're taking over with our revolution. Yes sir... Dave's Motorwerke license plate frames are gaining on ya!

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
javabug

« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2011, 03:33:30 am »

Just to show it isn't totally the plate frame making the mufflers look better, here they are with the Penske frame.

Grin Cool Grin Cool

Thanks Chris!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2011, 05:32:04 am »

Good to see a few of those old frames scattered about..

Car looks good Mike!

javabug

« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2011, 13:02:52 pm »

Thanks, Dave! And it is finally running almost perfect. Almost ...

Mike H.

Sven was right.
kustomlarry

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2011, 13:59:24 pm »

Car is looking great. I am excited to have mine back after its surgery. I haven't even driven it yet this year. Hopefully the improvements during the winter will help and the "test drive" bad luck collision didn't effect it.

Been scoring some points for the 67 also.....

Talk to you soon.

Larry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: