The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 01:48:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350785 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  How many times did you find a crushed flywheel o-ring
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How many times did you find a crushed flywheel o-ring  (Read 7328 times)
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« on: December 16, 2011, 01:31:45 am »

Racers, i'm crushing o-ring after o-ring when mounting the fly-wheel. No matter what i do, heat, lubricant, etc. Common problem?  It's driving me nuts. What are youre experiences ?

Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
richie

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 02:04:35 am »

what brand o ring? and what brand flywheel?  can you show us what it looks like still in the flywheel groove after you took the flywheel off?

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:55:35 am »

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you notice a crushed O-ring? End play which increases?

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Harry/FDK

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 12:35:09 pm »

Maybe a stupid question, but how do you notice a crushed O-ring? End play which increases?

Jesse, i found this out when turning the flywheel, after enplay is set, i would get different readings on my dial.
Pics, later.

Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 12:36:57 pm »

what brand o ring? and what brand flywheel?  can you show us what it looks like still in the flywheel groove after you took the flywheel off?

cheers richie

Thanks Richie. Victor-Reinz 0-ring, german flywheel, pics will follow. I have a hunch what causes the problem...

Done ? Not Yet.
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 14:34:05 pm »

I think you have to smooth the edge on your crankshaft. It`s probably too sharp and "grabs" the o-ring when you mount your flywheel.

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 16:21:16 pm »

Jesse, i found this out when turning the flywheel, after enplay is set, i would get different readings on my dial.
Pics, later.

Harry

I know John CNC (mebejo) also modified my flywheel for the O-ring. Will take a pic of it tonight!

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Harry/FDK

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 17:58:47 pm »

I think you have to smooth the edge on your crankshaft. It`s probably too sharp and "grabs" the o-ring when you mount your flywheel.

Thanks Berger, that was my first thought also. It's smooth.

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 18:08:14 pm »

what brand o ring? and what brand flywheel?  can you show us what it looks like still in the flywheel groove after you took the flywheel off?

cheers richie

Thanks Richie. Victor-Reinz 0-ring, german flywheel, pics will follow. I have a hunch what causes the problem...

Crankshaft end has a smooth radius, the flywheel however has been machined deeper on the o-ring side. On the  bad pic you can see a small black dot on the bottom side of the o-ring groove. This section cannot mate with the crank perfectly so i think this is causing my o-ring problem, and gives me different readings for endplay when i turn the crank. Hope this makes sence.

Harry

PS, i checked some no brand o-rings today, most have "hairs" inside/outside that can cause many people the same problem.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 18:11:35 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 18:48:26 pm »

Thanks Berger, that was my first thought also. It's smooth.

Do you have a picture of the crankshaft end?

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Harry/FDK

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 19:14:28 pm »

Done ? Not Yet.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 19:55:03 pm »

Seems to me that the grove isn't at the very bottom of the flywheel?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 21:20:19 pm »

I think it`s to sharp. Grind the edge so it`s completely "round", no angles. That`s my advice  Wink

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Harry/FDK

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 21:52:22 pm »

Seems to me that the grove isn't at the very bottom of the flywheel?
Jon, i checked some other flywheels and the groove is never at the bottom. There's always that second step before crank and flywheel mate. Otherwise the o-ring cannot "seat".

Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 21:55:06 pm »

I think it`s to sharp. Grind the edge so it`s completely "round", no angles. That`s my advice  Wink

Thanks Berger, i will.

Harry
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 22:00:33 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
dangerous

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 07:46:30 am »

I think it`s to sharp. Grind the edge so it`s completely "round", no angles. That`s my advice  Wink

I agree,
and also, use the graphite coated O-rings like Elring used to sell.
The Elring USA ones that come in their gasket kits are horrible, not even round in section.
Bruce

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 01:15:46 am »

Ditto.
It's that sharp edge on the crank that's doing it.

Measure up an o-ring, then go to your local hydraulics store and buy some.  The quality is vastly superior.
richie

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 01:53:38 am »

the flywheel however has been machined deeper on the o-ring side.

Why? so are you saying that the flywheel was machined in the area the crank fits into deeper that normal? was the end of the flywheel machined to compensate for this? to keep the correct distance for end play.
If so the o ring is now moving further up the end of the crank when you fit the flywheel and trying to twist itself around,do you fit it with the crank end dry?a little oil would help,its not ment to sit up that far on the crank end in my opinion,be carefull if you "round off " the end of the crank to keep it even,I ave had no problems for a long while,just using the regular Elring supplied o ring that comes in ther gasket sets.
Hopefully you find the sloution and can finish up your engine soon Smiley

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Harry/FDK

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 20:53:54 pm »

the flywheel however has been machined deeper on the o-ring side.

Why? so are you saying that the flywheel was machined in the area the crank fits into deeper that normal? was the end of the flywheel machined to compensate for this? to keep the correct distance for end play.
If so the o ring is now moving further up the end of the crank when you fit the flywheel and trying to twist itself around,do you fit it with the crank end dry?a little oil would help,its not ment to sit up that far on the crank end in my opinion,be carefull if you "round off " the end of the crank to keep it even,I ave had no problems for a long while,just using the regular Elring supplied o ring that comes in ther gasket sets.
Hopefully you find the sloution and can finish up your engine soon Smiley

cheers richie

Richie, youre correct. The flywheel has been machined deeper because the balancer didn/t like the mating of both surfaces. Normally i had never a problem with Victor Reinz / Elring gasket sets with the 0-ring supplied. Enough boring you all, back to my other topic Get 'R Done.

Thanks again all.
Harry

PS, of course i lubrcate the 0-ring with in this case moly, teflon spray whatever.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 21:06:09 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: