The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 14:25:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Using high octane fuel ? or fuel additives
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Using high octane fuel ? or fuel additives  (Read 3480 times)
runningmonkey

« on: December 12, 2011, 22:11:29 pm »

Does anyone use high octane fuel or a fuel additive when racing?

In the UK we got 2 types of fuel (gas for you yanks Wink) normal 95 and high octane 97, I always run my bug on the normal stuff but was wondering is it worth spending the extra money to use the better grade of fuel? Its about 5p per litre more expensive so can cost about £15 a tank more, Do you really get any extra performance from using higher octane?

I also seen fuel additives like NOS in a bottle that you can add to you tank for better horse power and performance do any of these work or are they just a gimmick?

Thanks John
runningmonkey

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 22:24:31 pm »

FYI am running a 2180 fk87 and 48's
Jesus

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 22:30:00 pm »

You can get a 99 ron at certain stations in the uk  Grin

I always use the cheaper stuff for the daily and treat the toy to the better fuel, but if you switch remember to look at the tune again.

I have no scientific proof but have run on both and certainly feels better on the higher ron fuel but then it could be in my mind.

@secondcomingsinglecab on Instagram
Second Coming Single Cab on Facebook
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 00:45:16 am »

If your CR isnt "high enough" there is not much gain in using the higher grade fuel unless you yank the timing further back and correct the jetting Heat may suddenly be an issue.
Such an engine should be at 11-1 CR if the full potential of 97/99 octane should come out.
Depending on how the CR is now, you will not gain - that - much hp. But the torque will increase across the board. That´s what you will really feel.

T
runningmonkey

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 19:06:39 pm »

You can get a 99 ron at certain stations in the uk  Grin

I always use the cheaper stuff for the daily and treat the toy to the better fuel, but if you switch remember to look at the tune again.

I have no scientific proof but have run on both and certainly feels better on the higher ron fuel but then it could be in my mind.

Yeah you can get 97 or 99, the 99 is made up of 5% bio ethanol and to be honest am not really sure what all the means, if I starting using it would you recommend get the engine re tune and set up ? And if so would I be then stuck with using the same fuel all the time?
Bruce

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 20:50:44 pm »

Do you really get any extra performance from using higher octane?
In your case you will make less hp with the higher octane.

You need high compression to make use of high octane.  Then you'll make more hp.
red baron

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 09:07:54 am »

Does anyone use high octane fuel or a fuel additive when racing?

In the UK we got 2 types of fuel (gas for you yanks Wink) normal 95 and high octane 97, I always run my bug on the normal stuff but was wondering is it worth spending the extra money to use the better grade of fuel? Its about 5p per litre more expensive so can cost about £15 a tank more, Do you really get any extra performance from using higher octane?

I also seen fuel additives like NOS in a bottle that you can add to you tank for better horse power and performance do any of these work or are they just a gimmick?

Thanks John

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/O2KNbbdQv3E" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/O2KNbbdQv3E</a>

My university. I think every engineer or chemist will tell you that these additives are bullshit.

JamieL

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 14:17:34 pm »

Anyone here tried PowerPour...?

http://www.webster-race-engineering.co.uk/powerpour.htm
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: