The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 04:35:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  things change!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: things change!  (Read 5318 times)
nicolas

« on: June 23, 2014, 05:59:09 am »

i just went to Bitburg this weekend, without the car as i am not making progress there, but in order to hopefully see some nice racing and especially see what our beloved air-cooled cars are up to.

well i saw most of them run really well, but compared to other makes and especially water-cooled vw's, opels,… i was a bit baffled by the difference in performance. those turbo matchboxes run hard! same for the reworked V8's, they seem to get faster.

but when i looked at the times of the VWs i saw 12's, and that is really good, but in the bunch it wasn't outstanding, and when i look back 5 or 8 years ago this 12second car would have been mighty fast at DDD. now low 11's and 10's are the norm.

So what i am saying is, WE (as in the collective air-cooled, especially cal look, community) have some catching up to do!!!  Grin Grin

i'll be in the garage this week, i promise  Tongue
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 07:04:23 am »

Hi Nico'

We should have make an appointements and meet there  Wink
Same feeling I had yesterday. Seeing VW golf or Mitsubishi colt running 10's and quicker really estonished me as few years back theire only ran 13 or more.
On thé other hand, aircooled vw's mostly run N.A. while others rely on turbo's and big boost to make power  Wink
We know what we have to do now, get to work and Start to  play with those damn turbo Cheesy
Fiatdude

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 07:23:23 am »

Just have to get a little more serious with your play things

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
bugnut68

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 18:42:18 pm »

It's just a matter of technology growth, I think.  I've seen some incredible performances here stateside by water-cooled VWs and other modern imports in recent years and a lot of those guys are coming into their own.
Martin S.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 04:13:33 am »

Fiatdude, what kind of resonator is that tail pipe thingy? Does it quiet down the big turbo very much? Apparently, my car needs one. Undecided

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Fiatdude

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 15:08:21 pm »

Hey Martin -- --They're SS and very good quality -- It works kinda LOL they defiantly take the bite out of exhaust tone -- -- A few of the tracks I play at require a muffler, but don't have a db level to meet -- http://www.tomface.com/ --I had one on there in a smaller Diameter and I think it was quieter -- Tell Tom Harold sent you-- Since I'm driving it on the street more and more I'm thinking of putting a more conventional muffler on it to really quiet it down --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52kBy7a6fc
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 15:57:30 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Martin S.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 01:57:07 am »

Cool thanks! I think I'll get a muffler added by a local custom shop. Since they don't know bugs, I need to pick out a suitable one that will not be too large. Any suggestions as to what to tell them to order?

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Stephen schmidt

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 21:26:59 pm »

I agree with bugnut68.  Technology has allowed all of the cars to become faster and stronger, however let me plant this bug as well (pardon the pun):

A stock 1965 beetle with a 40hp engine runs 19-20 second 1/4 miles.  Getting this vehicle into the 12's naturally aspirated is quite a feat if you ask me!  A 180hp engine produces 4 1/2 times more hp over stock! that's amazing IMO!

A stock 1995 GTI VR6 produces 172-190 hp stock and runs 15's with a good driver.  Getting this car into the 12's requires a good set of front tires and a bolt on turbo kit that anyone with slight mechanical ability is able to install over a weekend and it will run 12's.  350 hp is easily attainable with some boost pressure.

I work at a VW dealership in Vancouver, BC Canada and most of my GTI customers have added simple bolt on's (turbo back exhaust, ECU flash, intake, FMIC, etc..) or even turbo kits to their 2010-2013 GTI's.  These guys regularly see 12's on slicks with their A/C on, radio turned up, and reliably drive the car daily in all weather conditions!  These DOHC engines with all of their modern day electronic / mechanical technology can be built to make BIG reliable power very easily.

A GT500 mustang with sticky rear tires and a pulley/software upgrade will dip into the high 11's regularly.  With some suspension mods, 10's are attainable in almost stock trim. 

We're comparing apples to oranges.  However, the aircooled performance industry is booming and the off the shelf products / internet support have allowed many people to get all steel street cars into the 10's. 
Martin S.

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:45:36 am »

Where will those cars be in 40 years tho?  Cheesy

spoolin70

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 07:06:22 am »

Scrapyard  Grin
bugnut68

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 17:28:30 pm »

Scrapyard  Grin

In some cases there will always be a cult following for certain cars, though.  Myself, I would love it if I could afford a '95-'98 To#¤ta Supra, fully modded.  There's been examples of those cars building 1000 hp on the stock bottom ends.  And living! lol.

Modern production cars have gotten more powerful and faster as the years have gone on.  A buyer can get their hands on a 14-second bone stock showroom new car these days without even having to twist a wrench.
Martin S.

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 02:54:23 am »

My buddy the mechanic was marvelling at the design of the bug. The suspension, for example, and how it lasts so long without a problem. Many modern cars he said, even BMWs and other expensive cars have suspension failures after a few years and go bad in different ways which is almost unheard of with a 40 or 50 year old Bug. The old swing axle suspension is quite incredible. My car is running 5 times the original hp through the old trans.

Martin S.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 00:16:07 am »

I had a local custom exhaust shop near my work here in Crackville (Etobicoke) called Hot Rod Scott's add a stainless Magnaflow to my AJSims turbo header. They hadn't seen a bug in their shop before so I sent them a pic of a typical fat boy on a merge. Hope my neighbours are happy! I'm thrilled with the work they did. [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] [ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 10:26:19 am »

Nicolas,

Perhaps you should look further and beyond. Times change and have always done so. Not long ago a 12 sec beetle was consider crazy fast and especially so if it was street worthy. A 11 sec streeter was rare until Herbert did the 11.03 run with the light Super Shit box and Arto Vatja did a low 11 with his full weight, NA 69 in 2003 or 04.Today we have 10 second street cars around every corner and you are not really considered fast. 9 second street cars is fully possible and we even have a low 8 second car using a VW engine, H pattern gearbox and a VW floor pan. Not too shabby?

Engine management, highly competent persons making quality parts and quality work, turbo, improved fuel etc.. And with a fair share of madness in order to spend money and time on a old VW and there is nothing stopping you reaching the sky...and beyond.

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 12:11:42 pm »

Nicolas,

Perhaps you should look further and beyond. Times change and have always done so. Not long ago a 12 sec beetle was consider crazy fast and especially so if it was street worthy. A 11 sec streeter was rare until Herbert did the 11.03 run with the light Super Shit box and Arto Vatja did a low 11 with his full weight, NA 69 in 2003 or 04.Today we have 10 second street cars around every corner and you are not really considered fast. 9 second street cars is fully possible and we even have a low 8 second car using a VW engine, H pattern gearbox and a VW floor pan. Not too shabby?

Engine management, highly competent persons making quality parts and quality work, turbo, improved fuel etc.. And with a fair share of madness in order to spend money and time on a old VW and there is nothing stopping you reaching the sky...and beyond.

-BB-

We unluckily don't have the same kind cars, and luck, in our part of the world  Wink No fuel station with E85, not a lot's of car builders, no drag racing tracks, not a hot rod mentality in general.
It's also harder and harder to MOT a car that had been modify, old or new. A new car fitted with aftermarket coil over will have to pass a special inspection, even putting an afermarket exhaust on a basic driver as a tdi vw golf require paperwork...
You can still register >25years old cars as Oldtimer and get with that, but most say that the rules will change also about modified vintage cars. For instance, in Belgium, a bug fitted with front adjusters is a fail to a MOT station >NO welding on axle or frame are allowed. The same for car updated with disc brakes instead of drums, different tires sizes than original, redrill hub for different wheel pattern, car fitted with cage, smoke test etc etc. And I don't want to talk about what would happen if you get involved in an accident with injuried or worst... Even if you where driving normally. 
SO, yes, there is more and more HI PO vw beetle running very fast with sub 10' street driven car, but in our case, it seems that we don't catch the wave because we have no real use of it. You still get the satisfaction of driving a ground breaking fast car, but the use will be limited to an occasional blast on the street and going to a meeting. 
There is not a lot's of gearheads to share the passion of building cars, modify them and hot rod them in my area. No inspirational clubs or people to share ideas and get motivation.
When I went to Bitburg in June (I missed the last weekend session!) , I've been very impressed because there is more and more car in 10' and lower. Most of them from Germany or France and water pumper. Even 12sec diesel Seat Ibiza that came by the road from Luxembourg!
When Nico and I said that we need to evolve and get our ass moving faster, we spoke about our small part of the world, I think ;-)
Or maybe I speak for myself as I'm very alone in my countryside!  Shocked Wink
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 12:34:59 pm »

I agree with all you say j-f. Rules and regulations are stricter and they NEED to be. That is just a sign of the times to come. I talked to a member of the local BMW club and he told me that he joined the club to The Sleife. On their way home they got stopped and all the cars with unoriginal wheels without Tüv certificate had to park their cars there an then. I asked if he was surprised and he said yes. Copy wheels, China productions, no quality control... what do you expect.

I'm all for stricter rules and regulations. It will make the road and our hobby safer for everyone. If it kills your motivation (not pointing at you  j-f) then better find a new hobby. Perhaps start fishing while there is still fish in the lakes and the sea. Or you can choose to be an outlaw and cruise with your hot rod praying that there are no idiots on the roads that can crash with you. Because if they do you can rest assure that you will be the one that get the blame if they notice your IDA's, MH Dots, welded front beam and so on.

-BB-
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 13:26:41 pm by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: