The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:29:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Good news...... or bad news
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Good news...... or bad news  (Read 6572 times)
Turtle001

« on: March 30, 2006, 08:46:55 am »

FULLY POLISHED EMPI STYLE 5 SPOKE ALUMINUM WHEEL - 5.5 INCH WIDE X 15 INCH DIA. - 5X205MM PATTERN WITH CENTER CAP

"We have found a new supplier for the well know Empi style 5 and 8 spoke wheels. These wheel are closer to the original Empi wheels made in the 60's. The current American eagle wheel made in the USA are a poorer quality mass produced wheel with very old tooling, making for a lower quality finished product. We import these wheels from Europe and they are newly tooled and machined to the highest quality. These wheels do cost a little more, but they are worth every penny. Unlike the USA wheels, we can offer these new wheels in the the 5x112mm Bus - Vanagon wheel pattern."

is this good news or bad news?

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 10:21:32 am »

For me-it´s definetly bad news somehow.
Supllier for this wheel is midland wheel supplies (MWS) in UK. They made the copy of the 5 spoke without the bolted center cap now for a several years, in quiet good quality. They look almost similar to the American Wheel ones.
This type is still existing at midland wheel supplies, they just launched the other version a a 2nd style of the same basic wheel.
Check it out at:
http://www.midlandwheels.com/

Well, I ordered my wheel set a few months ago at Custom & Speed Parts in Germany - they are the official dealer for MWS wheels in Germany.
Unfortuanetly I bought the "non-bolt" style to get the infomation that the "bolt" one is available two weeks later... Tongue
Reason was that MWS didn´t inform the dealers in Europe so CSP was surprised as I was.

Coming to "Repro vs. Original" in general:
I love the original and vintage Empi 5 spokes, but I wouldn´t dare to mount them on a street car due to the danger of cracks.
So I think it´s OK to run wide 5 repros on street cars concerning "safety issues".
For a car mainly running on 1/4 mile I would always prefer original if possible/available.

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 10:42:16 am »

For a car mainly running on 1/4 mile I would always prefer original if possible/available.

Hmmm,

I would NEVER race an O.G. Empi 5 Spoke on the 1/4 Mile....

Way to risky in my opinion...If it lets go at Top Speed.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Gregor/DFL

No comment...

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 10:59:16 am »

So that means:

Vintage Empi 5 spokes only for deco purposes Huh

Or running vintage Empi 5s on the street with a max of 30 km/h-real cruiser alike Undecided

1965 black bug with Empi 5s
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 11:12:02 am »

I'm with you Frank...

What I would do is test the wheels for cracks, to make sure.
And if they are in good condition I would use them on the street... carefully....

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 12:53:46 pm »

And if they are in good condition I would use them on the street... carefully....

would you explain «carefully» to me, please. Smiley I really don't know how to drive a true cal looker «carefully» Grin whether it's street or strip

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 13:00:53 pm »

I would say that to you when I roll with my car, but i m afraid  of broken them , it is for  that i ' would like to take up my crestlines but for that he  still needs that I put a narrowed front beam  Undecided

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 13:06:55 pm »

would you explain «carefully» to me, please. Smiley I really don't know how to drive a true cal looker «carefully» Grin whether it's street or strip

I think my" carefully" might translate into your "normal" driving style....  Grin
What I mean is don't take 90° corners in 80 with a full car while braking hard...

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 13:31:45 pm »

I must say that my OG empi 8 already suffered with me , all days while returning from work I transversely put the car at the same crossroads, and it never released me that they are true rims for  cal ook Grin

SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 15:49:58 pm »

I used my OG Empi 8 spokes with slicks all the time......and nothing happend!! Anyway, there are at least 3 diffrent versions of the 5 spoke....2 of them are great wheels and 1 is not. So if you got the right ones, you are a happy camper going side ways in Cal-look style!! Happiness is a Hot VW!!
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 16:13:29 pm »

I must say that my OG empi 8 already suffered with me , all days while returning from work I transversely put the car at the same crossroads, and it never released me that they are true rims for  cal ook Grin

You're talking about Street use, with a Max of 60HP, we are talking about racing with 150-200HP....

NO F....ng Way!!!

Sorry

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2006, 20:00:54 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: