The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 19:03:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350700 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Race Engine Cooling (return drive to bits)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Race Engine Cooling (return drive to bits)  (Read 4897 times)
Black_65

Life's too short, so drop a bomb on it....

« on: July 17, 2016, 10:55:37 am »

Hi guy's,

Sorry to post this up as I bet it's covered a hundred times lol...

My new engine is on the dyno as we speak and should be done this week, which wouldn't of been even close without some good people (they know who they are).

So my question for advice is 'best set ups for cooling on race engines?". Now I wanted to ask as I'm lucky to have a few people with quads to pick me up at the end of the track but not always going to be there, nor me wanting to reply on them. Easiest option would be to get a quad but don't have the spare money or anyway to transport it to the track when I'm on my own.

So I'll be running N/A for the rest of the year due to needing another nitrous controller. So how long can these motor be ran for WITHOUT cooling to cause worry?

I have a Genny and big fan to cool motor down after each pass in the pits, So is it a cause of switching off after the line, coast to the layby. Wait 5-10mins and gentle drive back to the pits and allow at least a hour to cool down. Or fit fans to the cylinder covers to help get me back.

Any advice, pointers would be great, thank you  Grin

'Never Forgotten' O/FF 456 10.49 @ 125.5 MPH

A tribute car to the fallen - raising money for 'support our paras' charity.
https://www.facebook.com/Calibre65RaceTeam/
Black_65

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:59:42 am »

All sorted
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:24:54 am by Black_65 » Logged

hotstreetvw

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 17:30:21 pm »

Care to share the solution with the rest of us?
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 19:02:35 pm »

I used to pull of the track, give it a little squirt in the return road and coast with the engine off down to collect my tickets. Then push it back to the pits - I paid a lot of attention to wheel bearings etc and made sure that the car would roll as easily as possible. I could push it by myself with very little problem.
When I was back in the pits I'd put an old Rover 600 fan over the top of the engine conected up to a 12v battery.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 19:04:07 pm by Neil Davies » Logged

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
StewRat

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 23:08:20 pm »

I'd be interested to hear how you got sorted too, as Neil's solution wouldn't work for me. The route back to the "pits" at Crail involves a scenic drive up the East coast of Scotland taking in 3 fishing villages.

A slight exaggeration, but it's not a straight return road.

“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation.
The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

The Stew Rat build thread http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,25365.0.html
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 07:11:37 am »

The other way is to fit a fan shroud and head tins, and a 6v dynamo. Connect the dynamo up to your battery via a switch, wired as a motor. Then pull off the track, flip the switch and the fan will start to spin, cooling your motor. You'll need to charge the battery between rounds though, especially if you run MSD ignition - I found that was particularly sensitive to low battery.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Black_65

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2016, 13:19:04 pm »

Sorry nothing to share really... I've got a set of squirrel fans on head tin wear. I was going to shut of car after I've crossed the line and coast down to the end of the track in the lay by. Put the fans on for 5-10mins and the slow drive back with the fans on. Then I have a 2ft fan to use at the pits for a hour.

That's how I'm going to get around it

Fiatdude

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2016, 16:14:04 pm »

put it on alcohol and you'll won't have to any of that crap

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
andy198712

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »