The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 02:11:49 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350768 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Advice needed on lowering and brake conversion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Advice needed on lowering and brake conversion  (Read 1390 times)
65Pearl

« on: August 11, 2010, 15:05:29 pm »

Hi to All,
This is my first post and I’m looking for advice from the experienced.
I believe I have a fitment issue to deal with and I’m hoping to avoid some time consuming mistakes.

I’ve got a `65 bug with stock king and link front end . Wheels are 5.5” MWS repop Gasburners with ET 35. Tires at front, in all likelihood, are going to be 145´s.
I’m thinking of getting the CB dropped disk kit and CB rear disk kit.
I’ve understood that the front kit will extend the tires out ½ in on either side. Also the wheels are wider than stock smoothies and the ET is less which all brings the tires closer to the edge of the fender. So in total the increase in track width per side is probably close to 1.5 in.
All of this is just “theoretical ping pong” and therefore I’d need your input based on experience. I bet some of you have the same set up or know someone that does.

o   I’d definitely like to keep my stock width front beam, but I’m not sure if it’s possible?
o   If I’ll get the CSP ZO front disk kit instead of CB and keep my stock width beam, will I still experience rub issues? (I don't neccessarily need dropped spindles.)
o   If I’ll need to narrow the beam or get a new narrowed beam, how much cut?
o   What’s your suggestion on brakes: 4 disk set up or disks in front and drums at rear?

Please advice with brake & beam combo that works. I wouldn’t like to sink the same “trial and error” boat again…
If someone has Porsche pattern brakes lying around please PM me. Wink
Thanks,
Timo
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 16:48:07 pm »

My suggestion is drop spindles with a 2" narrowed beam, Koni shocks, stock narrowed sway bar, and four wheel discs. Good ride, good handling, no rubbing, and you can fine tune your ride height with the adjusters.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: