The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 21:27:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350742 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Poor quality oil filter with pics
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Poor quality oil filter with pics  (Read 4607 times)
Richierich56

« on: December 10, 2016, 23:44:28 pm »

Hi all
Just a quick word of warning here - got the new motor in the car and this mornings job was getting oil in etc etc. I normally use MANN oil filters (W940/1) as I find them good quality and have had no issues with them however, the motor factor I went to a few days ago had none in stock so they suggested a WIX WL 7096 which cross references the MANN and is supposed to be 'good quality'.

To cut a long story short - the below pics show the WIX filter after about 4 minutes of running. A couple of stabs to 4k or so revs but really just around 1500-2000 to check for leaks etc. The result is self explanatory pretty much as the filter top has come away from the body and I got 3 litres of oil immediately across the floor and the entire underneath of the car. Fortunately got it shut off quick. Went and picked up a MANN 940/1 this afternoon - put it on the car - no problems. Lesson learnt.

leec

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 23:51:04 pm »

I use the wix racing/Motorsport filters from rj volks performance. Never had an issue.
Just annoys me that companies can make shitty parts and get away with it.
Lee
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 23:53:24 pm by leec » Logged
DaveN

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 23:59:04 pm »

I used to use them to run up engines only, they are a cheap oil filter I think they use them on a rover? They can't take any rpm.
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 03:44:19 am »

I had a Wix filter do that on my 360 30 years ago, oops..........

Anyway, for next time maybe, here's an option.
Yours, Mann W940/1
https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Hydraulics,%20Hydraulic%20Transmission%20Filter,%20Oil%20Filter/W%20940~1
Mine (coz my daily is a big-block 1.6 VW NB  Grin), Mann W719/30
https://catalog.mann-filter.com/EU/eng/catalog/MANN-FILTER%20Katalog%20Europa/Vehicles/CARS%20%2B%20TRANSPORTERS/VW%20(VOLKSWAGEN)/New%20Beetle%20~%20New%20Beetle%20Cabrio/1.6%20AYD,%20BFS%20(T4491)/Oil%20Filter/W%20719~30

I get them from the UK usually too in a 6-pk  Cool, but I can get a Fleetguard from my local tractor dealership too, I just can't remember the part number.
glenn

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 04:52:34 am »

I use a Canton Mecca filter.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
richie

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 11:40:17 am »

Rich

are you monitoring oil pressure? even though filter is not up to it the cause is a pressure spike with the cold thick oil, a better filter will hold it but you still risk blowing the oil cooler up & maybe oil lines if the pressure spikes continue. You might need a thinner oil if you are gong to use it over winter

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
drgouk

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 15:45:22 pm »

I suggest that you should put a pressure gauge before the oil filter and after for an experiment. You will be very supprised at the pressure drop across the filter. If your seeing 80 psi in the main oil gallery, You might be seeing 120psi plus pre filter, maybe more depending on your oil grade and how cold your oil is, it is surprising . I monitor oil pressure pre filter on the engine dyno to see how effective the filter is vs how restrictive. I'd rather give up some filtration and have flow, dirty oil is better than no oil.
Martin S.

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 19:11:20 pm »

I suggest that you should put a pressure gauge before the oil filter and after for an experiment. You will be very supprised at the pressure drop across the filter. If your seeing 80 psi in the main oil gallery, You might be seeing 120psi plus pre filter, maybe more depending on your oil grade and how cold your oil is, it is surprising . I monitor oil pressure pre filter on the engine dyno to see how effective the filter is vs how restrictive. I'd rather give up some filtration and have flow, dirty oil is better than no oil.

Interesting. But isn't pressure and flow two different things? I worked at a shop where we made flow meters and they had little paddle wheels and a sensor to gauge the speed of the wheel. vs a pressure test which is psi. I'm curious as to what weight of oil was used. Berg made the oil pump cover with the relief valve in it. That should save the filter the pressure spike.

Cal Look white 68 Bug with AJ Sims EFI Turbo 2332. 194hp 240tq @ 5500 rpm 3psi boost.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 22:58:25 pm »

Were the blips to 4000 when the oil was still cold?
Richierich56

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2016, 03:14:05 am »

Update on this - I've changed the oil out twice more since the filter blew. Both times new Mann filters and no problems at all. I'm confident it was a dud filter.

Martin - oil is 10w40 semi-synth.

Jim - I would say warmed...

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: