The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 18:34:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Clearancing case for stroker crank
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Clearancing case for stroker crank  (Read 4419 times)
Endre D

« on: October 17, 2007, 12:00:38 pm »

Hi Guys,
Does anybody know of a good guide on how to clearance an engine case for a stroker crank? The crank in question is 84mm stroke with chevy journals and is going into a new AS41 mexico case. Any tips on proper tools and procedures would be appreciated!  Smiley

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 12:42:34 pm »

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=102663   it's a stick, so i guess it gets asked alot Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 13:18:48 pm »

Hi Guys,
Does anybody know of a good guide on how to clearance an engine case for a stroker crank? The crank in question is 84mm stroke with chevy journals and is going into a new AS41 mexico case. Any tips on proper tools and procedures would be appreciated!  Smiley

Send it out and have it Clearenced you will be glad you did There are alot of places to clearence on that big of stroke you dont want to screw up a New Case by grinding it to thin in places  most VW machine shops have a setup already made up the clearence a case it dose not ost that much to do and is well worth it. just my 2 cents  Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 13:59:31 pm »

Hi Guys,

Send it out and have it Clearenced you will be glad you did There are alot of places to clearence on that big of stroke you dont want to screw up a New Case by grinding it to thin in places  most VW machine shops have a setup already made up the clearence a case it dose not ost that much to do and is well worth it. just my 2 cents  Grin Grin

Usually that would have been my answer as well if it was not for the fact that Endre lives on the West Coast of Norway where there is no machine shops. Yes he could pack it and send it to the US but I do believe he is on a thight budget and on top of that he would like to learn how to do things. Endre, what about asking EBB and Ungdommens Motorsenter? They do have quite a impressive machine park and EBB sure nows alot about VW`s. Or you could also send it to JPM and he can do it for you if you do not wish to attack the case yourselves looking at pictures. There is also some very good engine builders here on The Lounge and it would be nice if they could post some comments or even better, some pictures.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Endre D

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 14:26:03 pm »

Hi Guys,

Usually that would have been my answer as well if it was not for the fact that Endre lives on the West Coast of Norway where there is no machine shops. Yes he could pack it and send it to the US but I do believe he is on a thight budget and on top of that he would like to learn how to do things. Endre, what about asking EBB and Ungdommens Motorsenter? They do have quite a impressive machine park and EBB sure nows alot about VW`s. Or you could also send it to JPM and he can do it for you if you do not wish to attack the case yourselves looking at pictures. There is also some very good engine builders here on The Lounge and it would be nice if they could post some comments or even better, some pictures.

Best rgs
BB

Thanks Kalle. You're absolutely right, no good machine shops around. I actually had a long chat with EBB yesterday, but he's very busy these days and could'nt make any promises on a timeframe for this work. (The good thing is that he can do dynamic balancing of my rotating assembly on short notice Smiley ). Like you said, I would really like to learn how to do most things myself (and my budget that used to be so fat is getting skinny...), so it's the "tips of the trade" I'm hoping for. Any, and I mean ANY, other tips on engine building in general is greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Endre

Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 18:34:08 pm »

Endre, how about if you find a ruined old case, and use that to make a practice run on. Then you can make your own recipie without ruining a $550 case.
Alternatively put the case for sale on vw2you and order a new one from vwparts where I got the other one (rimco machine work) with all the specs you need. I'm sure you will get the same for it as you paied.

If you can break even with a sale, It will probably be both faster and cheaper then waiting for EBB to do the job. I'm sure Rimco will do a good enough job for you :-)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 20:52:36 pm by Trond Dahl » Logged

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

richie

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 21:12:28 pm »

Endre, how about if you find a ruined old case, and use that to make a practice run on. Then you can make your own recipie without ruining a $550 case.
Alternatively put the case for sale on vw2you and order a new one from vwparts where I got the other one (rimco machine work) with all the specs you need. I'm sure you will get the same for it as you paied.

If you can break even with a sale, It will probably be both faster and cheaper then waiting for EBB to do the job. I'm sure Rimco will do a good enough job for you :-)

Or he could borrow yours to copy Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 21:24:46 pm »

Or he could borrow yours to copy Smiley

cheers richie,uk

I wrote a bit wrong, what I ment was "where I got THAT one" ... he bought mine richie, or else I would offcourse have offered him to look at mine considering he lives about 15 minutes away :-)

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

richie

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 21:29:23 pm »

No worries,i will see if I can dig out some pics to help then,cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Endre D

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 12:04:51 pm »

No worries,i will see if I can dig out some pics to help then,cheers richie
That's right, its Trond's old case. Any picures you can come up with would be of great help!
Thanks! Endre

Kotten

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 22:09:29 pm »

Clearancing a case is not that big a deal! Just time consuming.
If you have access to compressed air and a grinding tool just take one half of the crankcase at a time.
Put one connecting rod, piston and cylinder into the crankcase, rotate the assembly and grind little by little until it runs freely with about one millimeter of clearance between the assembly and the crankcase.
You do not have to use the piston rings during this procedure.
When one cylinder is done just move on to the next one.
Do remember that when rotating the assembly to put some pressure on the pulley end if you do not have the flywheel installed, otherwise you will remove excess material in unnecessary locations.
This method works with crankshafts up to at least 86 mm stoke with Porsche journals without any problems and fear of cutting holes in the case.
If you do it without the rods and pistons in the cylinders you will not know exactly how much to remove and probably remove  too much!
Done many times by
Kotten

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: