The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 17:22:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Cam sensor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Cam sensor  (Read 16047 times)
Andy Sykes

« on: January 16, 2011, 16:00:32 pm »

has anybody used a cam sensor as an input to there ECU? i have a DTA s60 pro and it has cam sensor inputs so i can use a coil per cylinder i was thinking of using a something like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-96-97-98-99-00-01-02-Millenia-Cam-Sensor-Distributor-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1c0c3b1becQQitemZ120464284652QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

unless there is already somthing else i can use

cheers andy

I love the haters they make me famous.

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Your only here once turn it up to 11
volkskris

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 18:20:44 pm »

maybe you can modify an old dizzy to take a camsensor? an 009 shouldn't be to hard to modify
Fast54

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 18:29:48 pm »

I did it like this. Mounted a square headed screw on the camgear.

/Håkan
Andy Sykes

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 21:41:23 pm »

maybe you can modify an old dizzy to take a camsensor? an 009 shouldn't be to hard to modify

good idea got to better than making that ebay on fit

cheers andy

im building this not just putting parts together, they are two totally different things

Andy Sykes

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 21:42:30 pm »

I did it like this. Mounted a square headed screw on the camgear.

/Håkan

thats neat Smiley

cheers andy

Speed-demon

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 17:06:24 pm »

get rid of the distrubutor while you are at it. The ignition varies by as much as 2 degrees because of slack in the distributor drive and the fact that the crank moves back/forth because of Your end play. So go for some kind of cam sensor on the flywheel or crank pulley. it will give you more consistency and better tuning.
Andy Sykes

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 20:16:54 pm »

get rid of the distrubutor while you are at it. The ignition varies by as much as 2 degrees because of slack in the distributor drive and the fact that the crank moves back/forth because of Your end play. So go for some kind of cam sensor on the flywheel or crank pulley. it will give you more consistency and better tuning.

ive got a flywheel sensor but i cant use that if i want to use a coil per cylinder, i dont want to split the block yet to fit the cam sensor in the engine as its only covered 1500 miles any other ideas?

cheers andy

Airspeed

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 22:26:34 pm »

Andy,
I have used a vanagon dizzy from a 2,1 for cam sensor purposes to be able to use sequential injection. Its the dizzy with no advance mechanism in it and already has the wiring and so. It works stock with a hall effect sensor and as DTA can read both types, it was rather easy. Shielding the wire is vital though.
The sequential injection only gave me a little better exhaust gas quality at idle with a largish cam n/a though, but that was all I needed it for anyways. Not with the mild-ish turbo cams, idle quality is not a problem anymore and I just run batch. Less wires, less miss fires from shielding problems.

Good luck!
Walter

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Andy Sykes

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 23:37:58 pm »

cool thanks walter Smiley just got one from ebay

cheers andy

Airspeed

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 22:43:12 pm »

Just don;t forget to carefully weld up the 3 other openings of the hall-effect ring in the dizzy  Wink

I even found some old pics:

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 22:46:37 pm by Airspeed » Logged

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
Jesse Wens

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 23:07:47 pm »

couldn't you just grind of three of them.

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
floydpo

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 09:52:25 am »

hey there are you done finding the solution for your camshaft position sensor? having the same difficulty and i just want to know what you've done by this. thanks for any help! Huh
Big Power

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 22:41:12 pm »

What type of pickup can you use, magnetic or hall effect? We sell a magnetic cam sensor that takes the place of the distributor. Cost is $97.95 I will post a pic later today.
Pat Downs/CB Performance
Big Power

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 23:31:12 pm »

Ignition timing is based off of the trigger wheel and VR sensor, All the cam sensor does is phase the ecu to #1 cylinder. Having the cam sensor run off of the distributor drive pinion has no effect at all on ignition timing and tuning. For example, Eric Calabrese has his cam synch on his pauter oil pump, imagine how much play he gets between the cam and oil pump drive gear.
Tomi

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 09:09:48 am »

This is how I installed cam sensor in a WBX case. I suppose it could work for T1 case also. It is possible to adjust or change the sensor form the oil pump hole.

http://ub-52.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post.html
Basti

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 10:50:24 am »

Hi Pat!

Can you post a picture of your sensor?

Thanks,
Basti

- black 62 cal look beetle
- Pro Mod Race car
Andy Sykes

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 22:24:26 pm »

What type of pickup can you use, magnetic or hall effect? We sell a magnetic cam sensor that takes the place of the distributor. Cost is $97.95 I will post a pic later today.
Pat Downs/CB Performance

hi i can use both have you got a picture and part number so i can order one

cheers andy

Big Power

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 17:34:42 pm »

Sorry for the delay. Been really busy at the shop. I will get a part number next week. If you want one soon, you can email or call me.
Pat
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 17:36:37 pm by Big Power » Logged
m.m.p

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 22:17:06 pm »

Just use a 009 without the advance mechanism and install a petronics pick up in there, you have to remove 3 of the magnets form the plastic center ring.
But really unless you want the best fuel economy , there's is no difference in power between the two. And less to go wrong without it .

Thanks
Marco Mansi
Marcomansiperformance.com
0044(0)7947 660 924
Big Power

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 22:59:47 pm »

Just use a 009 without the advance mechanism and install a petronics pick up in there, you have to remove 3 of the magnets form the plastic center ring.
But really unless you want the best fuel economy , there's is no difference in power between the two. And less to go wrong without it .
If you price a 009 with a pertronix, our cam pickup is less exspensive.
Udo

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 14:48:27 pm »

Sorry for the delay. Been really busy at the shop. I will get a part number next week. If you want one soon, you can email or call me.
Pat

Pat
this looks like a nice idea , and easy to install :-)

Udo

m.m.p

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 14:56:17 pm »

If you price a 009 with a pertronix, our cam pickup is less exspensive.

ok forget the 009 and the pertronics cos thats all too expencive for people Grin ,
 Get yourself an old second hand dissy take it apart and grind 3 of the bumps that make the points open and close weld the advance mecinism up and put it all together with some new points the points will out put a negitive intill the one bump opens the points, set this up in your ecu and you will have a cam signal  Cheesy

but as i said no need to, it wont make a differance that you realy notice.
but you could do it to say "i have a cam sensor and i run fully sequential fuel injection" just to feel good  Shocked

Thanks
Marco Mansi
0044(0)7947 660 924
Jesse Wens

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2011, 15:04:09 pm »

you do need a cam sensor to do coil on plug ignition

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
m.m.p

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 23:43:52 pm »

You don't NEED a cam sensor to run coil on plug ignition , you can run it two ways, wasted spark(yes coil on plug) and sequentialy, I have run them both ways and there is apslutly NO difference what so ever. Maybe there would be a benefit when running a 1000hp methanol 4 cylinder when you need every last bit of coil recovery time, but then I would use a proper digital CDI system.

Thanks
Marco Mansi
0044(0)7947 660 924
Big Power

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 00:48:40 am »

You don't NEED a cam sensor to run coil on plug ignition , you can run it two ways, wasted spark(yes coil on plug) and sequentialy, I have run them both ways and there is apslutly NO difference what so ever. Maybe there would be a benefit when running a 1000hp methanol 4 cylinder when you need every last bit of coil recovery time, but then I would use a proper digital CDI system.
I'm interested in knowing how you ran sequential ignition without a cam sensor? Being able to trim fuel and spark at individual cylinders can give you a definate gain in power. I have seen as much as 150 degrees difference in cylinder egt's. I agree that sequential efi will not give you any more power all things being equal but the adjustability of it has the possability to do so.
drgouk

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 09:18:08 am »

Some engines respond well to changing the injection timing, I normally hold it at at a RPM on the dyno, watch the power and adjust the injection timing, find the best spot by watching the power and call it done. Normally you end up having to take fuel out once you have found the sweet spot, due to more fuel getting to where it needs to go.
Airspeed

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2011, 10:54:34 am »

Some engines respond well to changing the injection timing, 
Thats not what is discussed here though... Its about changing timing and fuel on individual cylinders which is what sequential offers...
I'am with Marco on this one though: No offense, but I think 99% of the people here won't be able to get the benefits from that tuning ability full sequential offers, even if the system did ran perfect on their cars.
Pat is probably right though that it could give a benefit. However, the more the benefit you see, the more unequal your engine ran...so you need to ask yourself what is wrong with your engine (parts) if full sequential individuel tuning gave you substantial hp gains... Roll Eyes
I also ran it and i did give better mixture quality at idle, so I passed inspection (its a street car) without adjusting the maps at all, unlike the year before when I had to strangle fuel for CO-gas to pass.
Like Marco said: more things to go wrong and the hall-effect pick-up is very critical to plug wires, even when shielded, so now and then I did get a misfire from the cam-sensor and that was enough for me to return to (semi-)batch fire. No problems since  Wink

Big Power

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 15:54:34 pm »

Some engines respond well to changing the injection timing, 
Thats not what is discussed here though... Its about changing timing and fuel on individual cylinders which is what sequential offers...
I'am with Marco on this one though: No offense, but I think 99% of the people here won't be able to get the benefits from that tuning ability full sequential offers, even if the system did ran perfect on their cars.
Pat is probably right though that it could give a benefit. However, the more the benefit you see, the more unequal your engine ran...so you need to ask yourself what is wrong with your engine (parts) if full sequential individuel tuning gave you substantial hp gains... Roll Eyes
I also ran it and i did give better mixture quality at idle, so I passed inspection (its a street car) without adjusting the maps at all, unlike the year before when I had to strangle fuel for CO-gas to pass.
Like Marco said: more things to go wrong and the hall-effect pick-up is very critical to plug wires, even when shielded, so now and then I did get a misfire from the cam-sensor and that was enough for me to return to (semi-)batch fire. No problems since  Wink
I agrree that an engine "should" not need sequential to run correctly. But, there are situations where the engine is tuned perfectly and you have differences in EGT's. For example, cylinder 1 and 3 typicly do not get the airflow in a car that 2 and 4 get. This will be noticed at WOT when using egt's at each cylinder.  My car uses a pressure box with ducted air into it. I always have two cylinders running cooler than the other two. With sequential, I can tune some of this problem out of the engine. Sure, in a perfect world this should not have to be done but it is rarely ever a perfect world. Another benefeit of sequential is injector size. There are turbo engines now using 140lb + size injectors. Running batch, you are never going to control that size of an injector at idle and at very light cruise. For the record, My race car has never ran sequential but my plans are to do so this year. I need another tenth in my E.T to set a Pro Stock record. Hopefully having control of fuel at each cylinder will give it to me.
Airspeed

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 17:20:38 pm »

...but it is rarely ever a perfect world.
I think your probably that 1% who can run their car for multiple dyno sessions tuning it. Most nobody even has 4 EGT sensors on their engine, let alone one  Wink
But I fully agree with the above  Grin aint it the truth.
Another benefeit of sequential is injector size. There are turbo engines now using 140lb + size injectors. Running batch, you are never going to control that size of an injector at idle and at very light cruise.
Did you ever experience the new style Bosch injectors Pat? Those from Injector Dynamics or Fuel Injector Clinic will redefine what you can or can't run at idle.
I now run the ID1000's and they idle better then the already great Siemens 630cc (60lbs) I had before (!)
The new Bosch style also comes in 1680 and 2200 cc,  which is great for E85 users.
Guys now even run ID2200's (thats 200 lbs...) with high-Z on 4-cylinders engines and those idle great!
Nothing like the old Bosch 160 lbs injectors anymore. This new technology is quite amazing imo alas not cheap..
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 17:24:12 pm by Airspeed » Logged

Big Power

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 18:35:25 pm »

I have seen most of the injectors on the market. Even the best high impediance injector will only function down to 1-1.2 ms. Low impediance can get down to .7 ms. No problem using E85 or meth but a gas engine using 140lb or higher injectors will have an issue controling the injector at idle running batch. My asperated engine uses 60psi injectors running at 80% duty cycle. I can barely get the injector to pulse at idle, around 1.3ms. Would you guys like to have 4 egt inputs in a ecu? I can do it but the cost of the ecu will go up by about $75.00. This doesn't include the egt sensors.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: