The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 16:46:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  front mounted oil coolers?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: front mounted oil coolers?  (Read 67245 times)
ian c

« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2008, 19:13:16 pm »

the sump is actually lower ....... and the berg bar lower than that ...... and the filter lower than that .....

i think i'm gonna look at jim rattos set-up , but will see how it goes when i have the new engine up and running .

edit : just checked on a pic , my filter isn't lower !!! 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 21:36:10 pm by ian c » Logged

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Bruce

« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2008, 21:07:21 pm »

If you have a Berg style intermediate mount, IT is the lowest point on the chassis.

Hmmmm I guess but fitting a berg mount JUST so you can mount the cooler there - seems alittle wierd to me  Undecided Smiley
If that's the reason you think everyone uses a Berg intermediate mount, you'd better go back to driving a Honda.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 21:11:16 pm by Bruce » Logged
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2008, 23:36:40 pm »

If you have a Berg style intermediate mount, IT is the lowest point on the chassis.

Hmmmm I guess but fitting a berg mount JUST so you can mount the cooler there - seems alittle wierd to me  Undecided Smiley
If that's the reason you think everyone uses a Berg intermediate mount, you'd better go back to driving a Honda.

ok i'll go and get my civic out then  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I understand why you'd fit the intermediate mount - don't worry Wink Smiley Smiley

To me as I have already mentioned MANY times it just seem silly to me to mount these somewhat delicate coolers in vunerable places be it under your gearbox OR at the front under the bumper - its just my 2 cents dude  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
nicolas

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2008, 12:46:40 pm »

DUDE that looks rather risky
Being centered to the axle means that when you hit a bump, the cooler rises with the car.  If you run a Berg style intermediate mount, any rocks that kick up will get deflected out of the way. 
Wouldn't bother me to put the cooler there.

yes it goes up with the car, but if you ever happen to get on a small road where the track is deeper it maybe hit. also if you get off a curb the car drops a bit more and the cooler can be damaged. true it is a good place to cool, but on a roadcar i would never use this setup for safety reasons.
i drove off a small sidewalk with the type3 and the exittube on the fullflow was sticking less then an inch out from the bottom of the engine and it hit the curb. oil was everywere and it nearly killed  the engine alltogether as all oil was going through the pump. luckily this happened 20 yards from the firedepartment and they were kind enough to help me out, clean the road and even gave me some oil after i fixed the leak on their bridge.
i am even very allert now, because i run a sump.
Lee.C

« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2008, 13:00:11 pm »

"yes it goes up with the car, but if you ever happen to get on a small road where the track is deeper it maybe hit. also if you get off a curb the car drops a bit more and the cooler can be damaged. true it is a good place to cool, but on a roadcar i would never use this setup for safety reasons."

Very very good points dude - I was going to mention them too Wink Smiley

I don't know if you guys have them over there in europe but we have these crappy speed bumps here in the UK that are only a small hump in the middle of each lane which effectivly creates a lane with HUGE ruts - I have even scraped the sump of the manx on these  Roll Eyes Smiley

ian c

« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2008, 20:24:14 pm »

ok . good answers guys .....
when i posted my pics ,  i forgor to add ...

"will not be used on farm-tracks or country lanes Wink

this set-up has been running round o.c for god knows how many years ......................   but i'm with you , i'm not perfectly hasppy with it !!

but like i said , i'll wait until i get an idea of the "hotness" of the new build before i do anything avbout it !!!

translated : this car is over 5.5k mi;les away , and goes o.k .   ......  doesnt really care about "road" debris Wink

i spent half my money on beer , cars , and women .

the other half , i just wasted .

(o\ ! /o)
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2008, 16:37:16 pm »

My new set-up. Twin cooler/fan combo. Coolers are just taking airstream from under the floorpans. Sorry for the crap under the car.

Done ? Not Yet.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #97 on: July 30, 2008, 17:21:59 pm »

cool setup harry! same idea as the cagero coolers.
i'm sure these will work like a charm!!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Lee.C

« Reply #98 on: July 30, 2008, 18:51:01 pm »

My new set-up. Twin cooler/fan combo. Coolers are just taking airstream from under the floorpans. Sorry for the crap under the car.

Roll Eyes why do you euro guys want to mount your coolers so low  Huh Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

Harry/FDK

« Reply #99 on: July 30, 2008, 20:12:41 pm »

cool setup harry! same idea as the cagero coolers.
i'm sure these will work like a charm!!

Thanks Died, Hope so and will let you know.

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2008, 20:15:34 pm »

Roll Eyes why do you euro guys want to mount your coolers so low  Huh Roll Eyes Wink Smiley

Hey Monkiboy, it's not that low everything is mounted under the framehorns close to the torsionbar-housings. Coolers stick out under the floorpan just to get some air for about 3 to 4 cm.

Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
Lee.C

« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2008, 20:30:06 pm »

Hey Monkiboy, it's not that low everything is mounted under the framehorns close to the torsionbar-housings. Coolers stick out under the floorpan just to get some air for about 3 to 4 cm.

Harry

yeah I just realised thay you guys with Bugs have that "low area" on the floorpan - mine is modified to be almost FLAT for off roading so I guess yours is not really that low  Smiley

As I have said its just a personal thing I have about fitting cooler in places like this - I am sure it will do an awsome job of keeping your motor cool  Smiley

Also Died's - I am not a massive fan of that cooler kit you brought - it seems to cut off more air flow than it gains  Undecided Smiley

Harry/FDK

« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2008, 21:41:15 pm »

BTW  Monkiboy, How's youre Euro Vacantion going on..

Done ? Not Yet.
Lee.C

« Reply #103 on: July 30, 2008, 21:53:08 pm »

BTW  Monkiboy, How's youre Euro Vacantion going on..

No vacantion for me dude - plans changed alittle - I'm back in the UK earning money for SCC - its gonna cost me SOOOOOOOOO much in fuel  Roll Eyes Smiley

I have big plans for a eruo road trip next year though - trust me  Wink Smiley

Anyway back to oil coolers  Cheesy Smiley

Harry/FDK

« Reply #104 on: July 30, 2008, 21:58:12 pm »

Let's Cool then  Grin

Done ? Not Yet.
Doktor

« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2008, 09:56:50 am »

In Europe most people mount their oil coolers in the front  with original or 30 mm pump and 13 mm inside diameter oil lines . I think it is An 10 !? For me Setrap coolers are the best , you can get these in different sizes .

Udo

Thats right.

My friend has a 1776ccm engine ina a 1303 cabrio beetle.
Oil cooler is mounted on the front end, somewhere below front apron.
That 1776ccm engine is very interesting (true old school ?): it has stock non-counterweight and unballanced crank with only four dowells, W120 cam, stock 35x32 heads, 2x Weber 40 IDF's, a 009 style distributor and only a single hi-rew springs and a CSP exaust system.
Oil cooler is froma a Mercedes W123 and is fed by 30mm oil pump...
Oil temps don't go above 90 degrees celsius on the open road at almost all speeds (measured with VDO temp gauge and deepstick sender).. Cool

Sounds cool... Wink

dr.aircooled
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2008, 17:20:44 pm »

As I'm fitting a new oil radiator in front of my car, I took some pictures of what I've done to install the oil hose.
So, I drill 2 holes in the chassis, between the 2 framehornes. The hoses pass now in the tunnel and goes out through the plate which is beside the front beam. I protect the holes with rubbers that comes from a T3 but don't know parts numbers ?  Wink

I don't know if it is a good solution or if there are risks to damage something in the tunnel but I found this was a not too bad solution. And a friend use this system on his racetrack car for years.  Wink

I also use a Mercedes radiator, but I have problems because nozzles are not the same as the old one, that come also from a Mercedez  Huh

Hope it can help and sorry for the crap, picture don't give justice to my car  Undecided  Wink
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 17:23:03 pm by j-f » Logged
Lee.C

« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2008, 17:29:58 pm »

Looks good dude BUT its the cooler its self I worry about  Undecided Smiley

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2008, 17:39:47 pm »

Looks good dude BUT its the cooler its self I worry about  Undecided Smiley

It's mounted in front of the beam, almost invisible. I know you fear road debris but I can use a wire netting to protect it just in case.

This engine was first installed in a 65 that was used in historical rally. The guy mount the radiator beside the bumper... And never have problems with!  Wink
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2008, 03:02:53 am »

Jim at Stateside tuning ran oil coolers mounted to the front beam, this always provides the best cooling.  any other position on a bug requires work to get them to be as efficient.

For example the area above the gearbox and below the boot floor is almost devoid of airflow, my car is still spotless under there even with all the daily driving it used to receive.  This is why you need to fit a fan! then you realise some ducts would help!

on a modern car the radiator is fitted in direct airflow, and they seem to cope with road debris.  Admittedly they are a little higher.  Just to help you should fit a gauge.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Rasser

« Reply #110 on: May 04, 2009, 08:59:11 am »

I mounted my cooler just below the rear framehorns that carry the gearbox/motor. i mounted a mercedes oilcooler as Torben Alstrup has mentioned. This setup works EXTREMELY well, and on a callooker there are NO clearance-problems, and the cooler can´t be seen unless you know it´s there.

I think this sound pretty fascinating! Do you have any pics to share Rasser?
I'm also curious as to how you mount the cooler to the framehorns...

As for me, I'm still in doubt what kind of oil cooler to use on my 1915, so I'll definitely follow this thread closely! Wink

Here ya go!

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #111 on: May 04, 2009, 10:11:40 am »

Which cooler is that Rasser?

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Rasser

« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2009, 12:26:05 pm »

Mercedes something....

It still has the sticker with the part number on it, I can have a look if you like ?

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2009, 12:48:07 pm »

I have this one

Part numbers
A0021883001

But I also use a Mocal 16 row that fits easily on the right side of the beam.

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2009, 12:54:44 pm »

Mercedes something....

It still has the sticker with the part number on it, I can have a look if you like ?

Please and thanks.

Lee.C

« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2009, 13:17:19 pm »

I mounted my cooler just below the rear framehorns that carry the gearbox/motor. i mounted a mercedes oilcooler as Torben Alstrup has mentioned. This setup works EXTREMELY well, and on a callooker there are NO clearance-problems, and the cooler can´t be seen unless you know it´s there.

As for me, I'm still in doubt what kind of oil cooler to use on my 1915, so I'll definitely follow this thread closely! Wink

Here ya go!

I'm gonna stir things up a little again cos thos pic's just send a shiver down my spine Undecided it just looks so "naked" hanging there - Just my 2 cents guys  Wink Smiley

Rasser

« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2009, 13:36:28 pm »

Here ya go!

I'm gonna stir things up a little again cos thos pic's just send a shiver down my spine Undecided it just looks so "naked" hanging there - Just my 2 cents guys  Wink Smiley

It sits down there not for the looks, but for optimum cooling.  And it cools perfect - how does a maximum of 85 degree oil temp at 150km/h sound (over a 100km long testdrive with constant high speed - type 4 engine). It looks naked because it is put right down where the air is beeing forced through it while driving. No fan can ever produce this much air pressure. Its all business  Wink

If you are worried about the cooler hitting the road - Don´t be!!  It is mounted so close to the axles that when I drive over an object, then the cooler "follows" the wheels, and not the body - off course everything has it limits, but you get the idea. I have driven like that for 3 years now, and never ever hit anything!
And it isn´t noticeable from the outside like a front mounted, but it has all the benefits that the front mounted has.

Best oil-cooling money can buy!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 13:43:17 pm by Rasser » Logged

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Rasser

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2009, 13:44:43 pm »

I have this one

Part numbers
A0021883001

But I also use a Mocal 16 row that fits easily on the right side of the beam.

That´s exactly the one I use, i just removed the center mount of the cooler.

1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2009, 14:17:19 pm »

Just to confirm with you Rasser, you found this oil cooler at your local Mercedes dealer or did you take it from a old car?

I like the small and neat size of it. I noticed Setrab is also selling some small ones.

Best rgs
BB

Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2009, 14:56:44 pm »

thanks for posting rasser! very neat cooler indeed! it's just that i already bought a cagero cooler ($$)  Roll Eyes
but this does look very interesting. and i can see what you mean about the position, perfect airflow and it's in almost between the axles! there's only one way you can hit it and that's with these road bumps we have in holland that are only 1.5m wide and go underneath the car.

did you just bolt it on, or did you weld those brackets to the frame horns?

and lee, it'll be fine! just don't drive it like a buggy  Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: