The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 02:22:02 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  A sad day at Engle
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: A sad day at Engle  (Read 5567 times)
richie

« on: May 08, 2009, 00:14:08 am »

I was at Engle today and got the sad news that they will close there doors next friday,the shop is like somewhere time forgot,with old machinery and cam boxes etc gathering dust,alot has already been moved already &they arent taking any orders.They have bben bought out by So Cal imports and will move to there facility to be under the same roof.I always enjoyed going to Engle and looking at the photos on the wall and seeing what weird and wonderfull grind they were doing,hopefully it wont change to much but the personal service you got there will be hard to carry on now its part of a big company Cry

cheers richie,uk 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 00:15:31 am »

BUMMER! The only cam that I've ever used. But if that what it takes to stay in production.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 03:04:44 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
cal-look 56

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 00:41:31 am »

Wow,  that really sucks.  I might dip into the family stash and buy a bunch of fk89 and fk98's. Cry
Gary Justus

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 01:10:16 am »

Way Sorry to hear that, but it's been brewin' for a long time. I guess I have my last Engle cam. I've still got Engle stickers from when I was a kid watching drag racing....
deano

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 02:35:48 am »

You need to read that original posting again... Engle is not going out of business. They will continue to grind cams as before, same machines, many of the same employees, just under a new roof and ownership.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 03:07:46 am »

Deano,

Thanks for the clarification. Engle has been a main stay in the VW hobby since I started too. I loved Norris Cams but they did not have the fortune of someone buying them and keeping them going.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
ESH

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 10:27:20 am »

It's good to know that the company will survive but a real shame that it's not staying home at the Engle place, it was a great place to visit when going to pick stuff up. There's some real history in there.

Sad

nicolas

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 11:32:27 am »

sad news. i strongly believe that all that corporate and big enterprise craziness that is been going on since a few years is not going to be the answer to the economy.

never been there, but by the looks off the building i like it.
deano

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2009, 00:11:03 am »

I find it most interesting and encouraging that a VW-based company bought Engle Cams.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2009, 01:51:46 am »

(sigh) Yep... sad to see the old Engle building go. But at least the company is with a VW based owner, like Deano pointed out. Could be worse.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 04:42:26 am »

(sigh) Yep... sad to see the old Engle building go. But at least the company is with a VW based owner, like Deano pointed out. Could be worse.

Only time will tell........

Lems
cal-look 56

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 20:11:47 pm »

Good to see it's sticking around.  Maybe someone will buy and preserve the building. Hint Hint MR. Ritchie Wink.  Anyway that place was awesome and hope it doesnt get replaced with a 7/11
Brian Rogers

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 12:12:45 pm »

Deano as one of our makers and chronocolors (?sp) of Cal-look history. please get some pics for us. Hopefuly SoCal is preserving this. I'll never get to see this unless you or someone else does it. I lived in the L.A. area but family and work made me move, by the time I could get there to see it'll most likely be gone. Thanks for any help.
ESH

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 12:26:32 pm »

... Maybe someone will buy and preserve the building ...

... Deano as one of our makers and chronocolors (?sp) of Cal-look history. please get some pics for us. Hopefuly SoCal is preserving this ...

It would be good even if only in pictures, as with many of the businesses associated with the hobby the story on the walls in there speaks for itself. 

Smiley
Cymon Sez

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 04:25:50 am »

The building isnt going anywhere just being leased to someone.

As for the business of Engle Cams it will be business as usual with all the same players just under a new roof.  Wink

I personally spent several hours walking around taking pictures of the building and equipment.

Steve,
So Cal Imports

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: