The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 09:50:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Rollcage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Rollcage  (Read 3971 times)
mr horsepower

« on: November 14, 2010, 17:17:44 pm »

Hello as i have to rebuild my old rollcage to fit my new tranny ,i thought it is better to do it al over .
So do you have any pics or drawings for vw bug cars ?
and what type of material is good enouhf to go with,
I went to the fia web adress but thats quite complecated for a vw guy like me .

gr henri
Jesse Wens

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 00:21:05 am »

I was wondering the same thing since I'm starting a cage build too.

Size and thickness aff base plates, tube diameter and thickness, material?

Tricks for easier bending of tubing.

thinking out of the box will get you to go faster cheaper in the long run, time is on my side
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 13:59:09 pm »

I'm in much the same boat, and although the last rule book i've got is from 2005, as far as I'm aware, they haven't changed since then.
The basics as I understand them are as follows:

150mm square foot plates, 3mm thick - these can be bent to go around heater channels, over pan edges etc.
1 5/8" (42mm) seamless tube, 3mm wall thickness for mild steel thinner for Chro-moly (but i'm not sure exactly what) for most bars in the cage. Some can be 1 1/4" (32mm) such as the dash bar and the shoulder bar (but I'd do it all out of 1 5/8" so that I wouldn't have to buy a couple of lengths of the smaller stuff!)

In my last car I bought a RLR kit and trimmed it to size, fishmouthed it, etc, before taking it into place and having Wayne at Intergalactic Customs TIG it together. This time I'm not sure what I'll do - Wayne may well get the job of making it from scratch as he said it wouldn't be much more expensive than what it cost to weld the last one in!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 14:15:43 pm »

Some info to be found here:

http://bilsport.no/uploads/fia_paragraf_4_11_bur_skisse_og_maal.pdf

There are also national rules to be aware of.  For example, in Norway we need to have 45 x 3 mm in the main loop. Or so they claim. Very confusing and very frustrating.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 14:17:25 pm by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Eric Ellis (57HotrodVW)

Just wait, you'll see...

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 14:27:34 pm »

The NHRA "Sport Compact" classes are no more, so this is a bit dated, but the following link is for a full version of the related rulebook that they published. When I've compared it to the general NHRA rulebook in the past (which you have to purchase, or be a NHRA member to get), it was the same in most cases - especially the basics like rollbar/cage specs, and other general safety rules.

http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/sportcompact/2008_SC_Rulebook.pdf

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 14:38:09 pm »

Haha.. only in America  Cheesy

NOTICE

Drag racing is a dangerous sport. There is no such thing as a guaranteed safe drag race. Drag racing always carries with it the risk of serious injury or death in any number of ways. This risk will always exist no matter how much everyone connected with drag racing tries to make our sport safer. Although NHRA works to promote and enhance the safety of the sport, there are no guarantees that such safety measures will guarantee or ensure safety. The participant always has the responsibility for the participant’s own safety, and by participating in drag racing, the participant accepts all risks of injury, whether due to negligence, vehicle failure, or otherwise. If at any time a participant does not accept these risks, the participant agrees not to participate in drag racing

Udo

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 21:02:57 pm »

I'm in much the same boat, and although the last rule book i've got is from 2005, as far as I'm aware, they haven't changed since then.

150mm square foot plates, 3mm thick - these can be bent to go around heater channels, over pan edges etc.
1 5/8" (42mm) seamless tube, 3mm wall thickness for mild steel thinner for Chro-moly (but i'm not sure exactly what) for most bars in the cage. Some can be 1 1/4" (32mm) such as the dash bar and the shoulder bar (but I'd do it all out of 1 5/8" so that I wouldn't have to buy a couple of lengths of the smaller stuff!)

In my last car I bought a RLR kit and trimmed it to size, fishmouthed it, etc, before taking it into place and having Wayne at Intergalactic Customs TIG it together. This time I'm not sure what I'll do - Wayne may well get the job of making it from scratch as he said it wouldn't be much more expensive than what it cost to weld the last one in!

You need  45 x 3 mm mild steel and 45x2mm chrome molly for dragracing on the main tubes .

Udo

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 21:45:35 pm »

You need  45 x 3 mm mild steel and 45x2mm chrome molly for dragracing on the main tubes .

Udo

Please show me the rules Udo.

On a roll bar: YES - 45 x 3mm
On a roll cage: 41.3 x 3mm

Please correct me if I`m wrong.

Udo

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 08:45:18 am »

Yes  you are right, we are talking about cages , so it is only 42 mm

Udo

Udo

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2010, 17:41:50 pm »

Every country has his own rule book . Most are equal to the NHRA rules . For Mr. horsepower the explosion rules are the most important because he is from the Netherlands  and i have noticed that they have the strongest rules and inspection .
http://www.explosiondragracing.com/category/reglementen/

Udo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 17:46:05 pm by Udo » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: