The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 11:24:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350729 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  oil sump fasteners...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: oil sump fasteners...  (Read 2312 times)
bugnut68

« on: January 17, 2011, 17:53:36 pm »

Just curious how folks feel about using 8mm (10mm hex head) barrel nuts as one or two of the fasteners for a deep oil sump?  I am in a situation in which it's extremely difficult to get a standard hex head nut on two of the oil sump studs inside the Scat 1.5-quart sump.  One of the two studs is the same one to which the oil pick up tube is affixed, and the other one is a replacement 6mm x 8mm step-stud installed previously as a fix by the engine's last owner/builder.  I've attached a pic to show what I'm up against. 

Just wanted to see if using Loctite would be sufficient to keep it from vibrating loose or if I should just remove the step-stud and use a straight 8mm stud, for which I would have to enlarge one of the mounting holes on the Scat sump?
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 21:40:20 pm »

Can't you go M7 ? There's almost no "meat" for M8. Also the M7 washers fit the sump better then M6. Most sumps are spotfaced for inch.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 21:42:06 pm by Harry/FDK » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
bugnut68

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 22:17:53 pm »

Can't you go M7 ? There's almost no "meat" for M8. Also the M7 washers fit the sump better then M6. Most sumps are spotfaced for inch.

This Scat sump's hardware kit, purchased separately from Scat, didn't include any washers.  The mounting surface didn't seem to be spot faced for washers, either, just holes bored for allenhead cap screws used for all but two of the mounting points.  The only two spots I used studs was where the stud that fastens the oil pickup tube inside the case comes through as well as for the one that is a step-stud.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 17:44:00 pm »

Ryan, any news on this problem ?

Done ? Not Yet.
bugnut68

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 19:22:12 pm »

Ryan, any news on this problem ?

No, my long block is done, aside from cutting, assembling and installing my pushrods.  I Loctited the fasteners onto the studs, so I think, before I install my sump plate I will double check their tightness and go from there.  The verdict I've gotten from other folks is it should be OK, so I think I'm going to stick with what I've done.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: