The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2024, 19:33:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350771 Posts in 28589 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  IRS Set ups on Race Beetles, whats your set up?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IRS Set ups on Race Beetles, whats your set up?  (Read 3156 times)
leec

« on: January 01, 2011, 18:36:50 pm »

Im toying with the idea of going Independant rear suspension on my race car....

If anyone has any hints/tips on their set ups I would appreciate it.

Is it possible to remain wide 5 rear drum brakes and also stay with the same track width? Ive heard of narrowed arms, how does that work?

Lee
volkskris

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 21:24:02 pm »

here's a howto on germanlook.net on narrowing the arms
http://www.germanlook.net/html/tech/Tech12NarrowingIRSArms.php
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 21:30:34 pm »

Lee, is this on the oval? Most people that I can think of that have changed have done so for a bus box conversion. Closest set-up I can think of is Adele and Steve Woodbridge's '59 - that was IRS with a type 1 box, but with narrowed arms. Then there is Jason Rew's '56 - Deano Weaver converted that when he swapped the Berg 5 for a bus box. Paul Bate and Bernard Newbury are both IRS and bus box converts, but on later pans than yours. Might be worth sending an email to the O/FF members to see who else has got the setup you want?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
leec

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 23:29:35 pm »

Thanks guys,

Hi Neil,
Great idea, will send an email to some off members. Was thinking a bus box will eventually happen and
just wanted to educate myself on the joys of IRS!!

Lee
Turbo_Rich

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 00:49:08 am »

If you swap the arms over side to side and then cut and turn the shock mounts you can restore the camber so the wheels sit straight. Easier is to get some camber adjusters for the front pivot bolts then you have the adjustability. Steve and Adele have some fabbed by Wayne Allman if i remember right.

Not sure on the 5 bolt thing i'm afraid. Definately a fan of IRS- certainly helps the car feel planted at speed Smiley

I'm using adjustable spingplates, koni red adjustable shocks, 1303 torsion bars and aftermarket Nova bumpstops. This info may be of no help though as the cars quite heavy with the 2.5 turbo type 4 and 915 box!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 00:55:14 am by Turbo_Rich » Logged
Mike Lawless

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 15:51:32 pm »

I'd been wanting to do the switch for quite some time. I had been running the Folts swing conversion on my bus box for several years, and was never quite happy with the severe alignment change throughout the travel. Here's a link to the transformation. A little "Outside the Box" but it was a fun project. Perhaps it will be useful

http://home.comcast.net/~mlawless29/wkrswingtoirs.html

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
kev d

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 21:58:30 pm »

Hi Lee,

I've converted a 65 pan to IRS but with a bus box on my oval using late type 3 parts, the early wide 5 t3 drums are a slip on fit to the 4 stud backing plates Cool
If its an oval pan I think you have clearance issues with the A-arm & early style shock tower, Adele & Steve or Mat Keene could answer that though.
Cheers,
Kev

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body , but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit ... what a ride"
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: