The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 03:33:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350708 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Any one here a member of the old Valley Volks Club from SoCal in the '70's?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Any one here a member of the old Valley Volks Club from SoCal in the '70's?  (Read 1454 times)
Matt Tobias

« on: February 17, 2010, 01:00:38 am »

One of my plumbing customers is a Mr. Walker who was heavily involved in this club back in the day.  He showed me some great photos at the dragstrip, some nice closeups of the Iguana.  I was stoked!  He said he wonders what happened to all of those cool cars.  I told him when my 2276 IDA'd powerplant is back in the car I'd come pick him up and take him for a ride. 
You should have seen his eyes light up when I mentioned IDA's. 
Dave Galassi

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 15:17:27 pm »

I wasn't a member, Matt, but I know a fair bit about the club and members.  They were based in the San Gabriel Valley and met at the Valley Volkswagen dealership in Temple City.  One of the members, Earl Stueby (sp) just passed away at the end of last year, but others are still around, including Russ Welch, who later started Russ's VW Recycling, a great junkyard in Monrovia.  I  am currently (even though the progress is very slow) building/restoring one of the several split windows Russ owned back in the day, and there are some great photos of this car, and his other cars, at one of the early Bug Ins (I think BugIn 4).
The club was pretty active, running rallies, street racing and other get togethers.  Russ is trying to get ahold of the last president of the club to catch up on old times and look through photo albums..........should be good.

I've sent you a PM.
Dave Galassi

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 22:45:58 pm »

In addition, the photo of the beetle with sealed 1/4 windows in the first Cal Look Book was not typical of the cars in this club (nor was the model, I hope).  The club had it's share of big engined, BRM and EMPI wheeled hard driven cars, not unlike other clubs.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: