The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 09:09:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  anyone fitted a screw/tap-in head temp sensor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: anyone fitted a screw/tap-in head temp sensor?  (Read 2814 times)
the beard
« on: January 29, 2009, 12:03:07 pm »

I have the autometer head temp guage that only comes with proper 1/8 NPT brass sensor  - head must be drilled and tapped.  I've been looking at possible positions and am looking at drilling through two of the cooling fins (see attached pic) over number 3 cylinder.  Was wondering if anyone had done this before.  Not sure if the fins are a bit brittle for doing this.  Any suggestions welcomed!  By the way this pic is just a 1200 test clyinder head before I risk it all on the expensive head.....
Cheers
Phil
ESH

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:13:27 pm »

Going on past history you need to face up to some facts, if you drill a hole the last thing you'll do is screw something into it, you'll see the air, start thinking free speed and go through the rest of the head like a termite. I'd stay away from that one if I were you!

Shocked Grin
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 14:48:58 pm »

I have the autometer head temp guage that only comes with proper 1/8 NPT brass sensor  - head must be drilled and tapped.  I've been looking at possible positions and am looking at drilling through two of the cooling fins (see attached pic) over number 3 cylinder.  Was wondering if anyone had done this before.  Not sure if the fins are a bit brittle for doing this.  Any suggestions welcomed!  By the way this pic is just a 1200 test clyinder head before I risk it all on the expensive head.....
Cheers
Phil

Hi

I have done this on two engines, right where you are pointing.

The fins are not as brittle as you think. Just be sure to measure the width of the sender with a drill bit gauge, use the correct dill and take a little time when tapping the thread.

On the first one I did I used the sender with a little grease on it to tap the hole

Ron

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
the beard
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 16:08:06 pm »

Many thanks...here's a pic of the finished product.  8.5mm drill and 1/8 NPT 27 tap used.  Went in a treat...just into second fin.
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 17:25:28 pm »

wow that was quick

glad I could help Wink

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Jonny Grigg

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 20:52:12 pm »

Phil,

I did exactly what you have done, however after a while I just disconnected the guage....... and it ain't going back in on the rebuild.

On my motor with no cooling it just went full-scale deflection by mid-pass, so gave me no useful information  Roll Eyes Undecided

guess it would be useful on a street car though with full cooling  Smiley

No Compromise. O/FF111
the beard
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 11:38:16 am »

Hi Jonny,

In fact this sender is destined for the tow vehicle.  Planning some scoops in the future so will be interesting to see how they affect head temps.

See ya tomozzah

Phil
Bobby Welker

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 05:27:25 am »

hello i placed it on the stud,  piece of round stock threaded on both ends . one for the stud and other for the guage after the case  nut ofcourse. i know it's not that accurate but i can guage it from that.  it usually stays consistent.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: