The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 05:30:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Other vehicles you have or used to have... anything goes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Other vehicles you have or used to have... anything goes  (Read 36056 times)
Sarge

« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2009, 13:36:02 pm »

Some cool cars on this thread. Sarge, that wagon ROCKS! Us surfers like wagons. I haven't heard of anyone mentioning spray on window tint since the '70s. Forgotten about that stuff. I watched a few of my school mates apply that to their muscle cars and Cal Lookers, back then. Trippy stuff.

It got even trippier inside the car when the fumes from the spray cans took over... Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Pas

« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2009, 21:23:19 pm »

I dont strictly own this,my Son does,but he does let me use it,well he would if I could get my big fat ass in it. Grin

You stay classy, Cal-look Lounge.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2009, 23:47:41 pm »

It got even trippier inside the car when the fumes from the spray cans took over... Roll Eyes Grin

HAHA!! Good one, Sarge. Trippier, indeed.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2009, 21:21:19 pm »

I dont strictly own this,my Son does,but he does let me use it,well he would if I could get my big fat ass in it. Grin
oohh I want one of them , my flyer is just bone stock  Huh

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Rennsurfer

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2009, 06:35:46 am »

Well... I'm late to the party, but I finally found a couple of my old car images.

First pic:
When I oversaw the aircraft refueling at Long Beach airport, I also detailed cars and airplanes. This was one of my client's Cessna Citation with my Zermatt Silber '86 Cabrio in the foreground. Fun little car that bought when I got married. I converted it to Euro spec, added the Ronal bigger wheels, Audi Quattro leather steering wheel, Golf GTI rubber golf ball shift knob, Euro bumpers, removed the cat. conv., and added Hella H4 headlights. Also, a bigger muffler/outlet,  small factory front spoiler and GTI fender arch trim. I removed the Cabriolet badge and sawed off the last three letters so it read Cabrio. Shortly after I did that, VW started calling the new convertibles the same name.

Second pic:
A couple of years after I got divorced (mid '90s) I got a big tax return. So I went out got myself a Zermatt Silber Porsche 944 for my birthday. Slightly lowered it, repainted the Fuchs satin black and used #0000 steel wool to bring back the factory sheen on the outer anodized parts. Added the Hellas from my Cabrio, found a 951 Turbo rear lower valance and had it painted with factory paint (DANG, that was expensive paint!), replaced the 951 Koni rear shocks with new ones that I bought from where I used to work at Circle Porsche+Audi from Don Metz. Those weren't cheap, either. Don and I got on the P.C.N.A. database and looked up my car. Turned out that it was special ordered from the factory with a 951 Turbo suspension. Which explained why it had the upgraded undercarriage. Ended up getting the Porsche Kardex from the factory and signed by the family. Custom ordered plain black Lloyd floor mats for it. Removed the partially working Blaupunkt Monterey radio and found a used Blaupunkt Reno one for free from a fellow P.C.A. member. Had Long Beach Radio fully rebuild it and installed that.  Later, added the 951 Turbo lower rocker panel trim. Disconnected the power steering, too. When I went to the lower profile tires, it felt just like my Beetles and current BMW E21/320i. JUST RIGHT. I loathe power steering. Had it for five years and enjoyed it a LOT! Top ended it into the 130mph range, many times. Fun times in P.C.A. too. The underside of the car was it's claim to fame. You could literally eat from it... yes, it was THAT clean. I spent countless hours (I had a great paying job with tons of free time) making sure that my daily driver Porsche was cleaner than most show cars. Blew some judges minds at shows. HAHA!!

I'll have to dig up some more pictures.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:40:33 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Rennsurfer

« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2009, 07:06:04 am »

My two current daily drivers.

First pic:
The best car I've ever owned and the car that I've owned the longest. My trusty 5spd. Volvo 245DL Estate/Wagon. The original and previous owner special ordered the car and on a European Deliver Plan. It's no big deal to a non-Volvo fanatic, but in the States, 5spd. 200 series cars are a rare sight. Which is why I bought the car after my second son was born. I felt unsafe driving two newborns in my Cabrio. Also, I liked it because it had roll up windows (I hate power ones), no roof rack, and vinyl seats. They also added the optional jump seats in the very back. So, legally, I can carry seven people and they all have seat belts.

I removed all of the badges, slightly lowered the front end, added Euro front turn indicator lenses, used Hella side indicators from an Audi, added a Hella rear fog light (wired it to the factory rear ones), added Bosch front driving lights (not in picture), painted front spoiler with factory paint. Normally, they're black in the States, removed the cat. conv. and front muffler (like Turbo configuration), removed the guts from the airbox for more flow, got rid of the 14" narrow steel wheels and hubcaps and found a set of early Turbo wheels. Blacked out the spoke centers. Early ones were all silver and late ones are blacked out but the outer lip is halfway blacked out. I wanted something different and in between the two types. Tinted the windows, added rear Turbo factory speakers and Turbo VDO amp and oil pressure gauges. (In the States, cars only had front door speakers and no gauges. We camp/sleep in it, surf, skate, fish, and haul a lotta cargo in the back. To me, it's the biggest station wagon from Europe I've ever seen. It's been the most reliable car for me, too. When I bought it, the odometer was showing 44,000 miles. It now reads 280,000. The car's only halfway to an engine rebuild. I love my VOLVO!

Second pics:
A year and half ago, I found a mostly original Polaris Silber 1982 BMW E21/320i 5spd. on Craigslist for pretty cheap. Only had 148,000 miles. But with a few lame aftermarket bits, as well. I bought with some extra money I had. Put the correct exhaust tip on it, got the right shift knob, tucked in the front bumper a few inches, removed the front side amber reflectors, replaced the BMW logos on the wheel center caps, and just really cleaned the car inside and out. I got just everything working on it. I dig this car 'cause it's very simple like my Volvo. Easy to work on and everything is manual! SO COOL. No power steering, windows, etc. Even the two-way sunroof is cable operated and works awesome. I found a set of n.o.s. Hella H4 & H1 headlights at Bill & Steve's for dirt cheap. Same ones that I used to sell at Auto Haus. It's also been a fun little car to drive. It's taken us all over So Cal. I never see the E21 (shark nose) cars on the roads any more. They made tons of 'em, but they're a very rare sight. I've always wanted to restore a BMW 2002, but they're way too much money and this car is more refined and no one wants 'em. Works for me! If I keep this one, the only thing I'll do is put European bumpers on and paint 'em the same color as the car. The car's rear end sits higher than it does in the picture of me taking off hard from the Cars & Coffee event. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 07:14:49 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
ESH

« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2009, 09:39:37 am »

A year and half ago, I found a mostly original Polaris Silber 1982 BMW E21/320i 5spd. on Craigslist for pretty cheap. Only had 148,000 miles. But with a few lame aftermarket bits, as well. I bought with some extra money I had. Put the correct exhaust tip on it, got the right shift knob, tucked in the front bumper a few inches, removed the front side amber reflectors, replaced the BMW logos on the wheel center caps, and just really cleaned the car inside and out. I got just everything working on it. I dig this car 'cause it's very simple like my Volvo. Easy to work on and everything is manual! SO COOL. No power steering, windows, etc. Even the two-way sunroof is cable operated and works awesome. I found a set of n.o.s. Hella H4 & H1 headlights at Bill & Steve's for dirt cheap. Same ones that I used to sell at Auto Haus. It's also been a fun little car to drive. It's taken us all over So Cal. I never see the E21 (shark nose) cars on the roads any more. They made tons of 'em, but they're a very rare sight. I've always wanted to restore a BMW 2002, but they're way too much money and this car is more refined and no one wants 'em. Works for me! If I keep this one, the only thing I'll do is put European bumpers on and paint 'em the same color as the car. The car's rear end sits higher than it does in the picture of me taking off hard from the Cars & Coffee event

Very cool. I learnt to drive in an E21 and think it was a great car. It was a '76 in met grey with a beige half leather interior and was a family car from new, I think it was sold in '95 and replaced with an E28 528SE. Selling it was definitely a mistake in hindsight, by the time I'd done with it it still had less than 60K miles on the clock but a guy kept knocking on the door of the house and offering (very) good money for it so in the end it went. It was a really good car to drive and one of the things I remember about it was the gear shift being super positive and the overall drive being very predictable (in the dry). After that a lot of cars I've driven have been dissapointing by comparison. I've been very tempted to buy one for a while and will probably fail to stop the urge at some point. Because of the 2002 I think the E21 is often overlooked but they're good cars.

Cool
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2009, 14:21:22 pm »

First pic:
When I oversaw the aircraft refueling at Long Beach airport, I also detailed cars and airplanes. This was one of my client's Cessna Citation with my Zermatt Silber '86 Cabrio in the foreground. Fun little car that bought when I got married. I converted it to Euro spec, added the Ronal bigger wheels, Audi Quattro leather steering wheel, Golf GTI rubber golf ball shift knob, Euro bumpers, removed the cat. conv., and added Hella H4 headlights. Also, a bigger muffler/outlet,  small factory front spoiler and GTI fender arch trim. I removed the Cabriolet badge and sawed off the last three letters so it read Cabrio. Shortly after I did that, VW started calling the new convertibles the same name.

Nice 'vert.  Looks like Ronal R8 wheels?  I have a set of 15x6's in hiding for my GLI.  Great wheels.

Your next job is pictures of the new Rabbit GTI you bought, Mark.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2009, 01:58:33 am »

Now that I'm here thinkin' of this stuff... I just realized that I still have those Ronals with GTI center caps and tires. I returned the Cabrio back stock U.S. specs when I sold it to buy the Volvo. That means my Euro bumpers are still here, too. COOL! I gotta sell that stuff on Vortex or whatever site all of the waterpumpers are on, now.

Anyone think that stuff is worth anything? It's old 1984. But I think it just might be. Hopefully, it'll get me closer to finishing my 1915cc. HEE!

~Sarge
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2009, 02:30:32 am »

Chances are those are the nicer "old" euro bumpers.  I think "back in the day" they were a bit heavier and nicer than they are now.

Wish I had some spare cash I'd help ya out with that stuff.  What size are the Ronals?

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2009, 03:32:09 am »

Chances are those are the nicer "old" euro bumpers.  I think "back in the day" they were a bit heavier and nicer than they are now.

Wish I had some spare cash I'd help ya out with that stuff.  What size are the Ronals?

I'm guessing that the Ronals are either 14" or 15". It's been so many years, I forgot. I'll have to go dig 'em out. Haven't laid eyes on those in a LONG time. Hopefully, the bumpers fared well, too.

~Sarge
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: