The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 21:22:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350727 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Keeping the fan belt on??
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Keeping the fan belt on??  (Read 6203 times)
benlawrence

« on: April 07, 2014, 19:42:58 pm »

Im sure you guys have covered this a zillion times over the years, but as the title, we are struggling to keep belts on at the track, we have spent a good amount of time making sure the alignment is spot on between top and bottom pulleys, with an original diameter aftermarket bottom pulley and v belt both engines say farewell to their belts pretty much every run. To the point that i dont bother running one now. So this year weve gone for a power pulley to reduce the fan speed, but this hasnt cured the belt being thrown on my friends car (ive not run mine yet), in fact hes now throwing it more with the smaller bottom pulley. We both agreed that the serpentine belt system is not an option as our back to back tests on the dyno resulted in losses of over 20bhp running that system.

Would any of you loungers be able to steer us in the right direction with a belt setup that will stay in place to 8k rpm?  Im fed up of chasing and retrieving them like a gun dog  Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 19:44:46 pm by benlawrence » Logged
Peter

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 21:15:00 pm »

what helped for me was to give the belt some slack,
so it slips a bit easier, and use a good generator pulley too!
my belt lies kind of deep in the top pulley, so it cant be thrown off easily..
a power pulley helped in my friends bus, it ate belts like crazy
I saw the belt sometimes 'rolled over' due to the generator pulley edges, they didnt have the same slope,
after changing to an original top pulley the belt hasnt come off anymore...
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 22:19:37 pm »

Use a 9 or 9.5 section belt instead of 10 to drop the belt into the pulleys.
Make it a bit looser than normal to give it plenty of slip, not bite and throw.
Make a curved belt "flapper-stopper" (uhmmm, that's a technical term right there  Grin) to follow the belt on the left, no preload.
Bruce

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:15:24 am »

Change the brand of the belts you are using.  They fly off when they stretch.  A stronger belt won't stretch as much.
glenn

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 03:51:29 am »

Gates belts don't flip.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Iryanu

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 09:05:27 am »

This was belt number 3...

Changed the top pulley for a flat-4 one and not the cheap Chinese chrome plated nasty with cover and all is well again. No belt problems since.

I would always throw or snap the belt at the same junction too. It's a renowned testing road, I measured it out and it's just about a quarter mile before you need to brake for the roundabout.  Grin
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 09:14:43 am »

Gates belts don't flip.

Mine did all the time, before I changed to a narrower belt. And slack.

The '67:
10.626 @ 132mph, SCC 2016
10.407 @ 134mph, SCC 2017
10.221 @ 135mph, SCC 2018

The '59:
Not yet..
leec

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:14:11 am »

Anyone got a link to the narrower/gates belt?
Lee
glenn

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 12:26:26 pm »

Gates 7355 XL

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Fiatdude

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 16:31:38 pm »

I like a little slack and this top pulley -- its a video, so click it to see the slack

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Paul H

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 17:24:07 pm »

We both agreed that the serpentine belt system is not an option as our back to back tests on the dyno resulted in losses of over 20bhp running that system.

Would any of you loungers be able to steer us in the right direction with a belt setup that will stay in place to 8k rpm?  Im fed up of chasing and retrieving them like a gun dog  Cheesy

The last high RPM motor I tested with a V belt and full size pulley took 22hp If you insist on running full size pulley with V belt I suggest you buy belts in bulk or get a gun dog collar and some Pedigree Chum. Have a look at many of the "exploded fan" threads for some free 20/20 hindsight
dannyboy

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 23:07:33 pm »

i run a serpentine system on my old race motor it never shit itself up to 8k, but the best bit i found was the ease of removing/replacing at the start/finsih of a run. an alan key is all you need to take it off and replace it in seconds  Wink the same belt has been on it for 3 seasons of racing and i only started removing it on the last season i used that motor

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 20:46:44 pm »

I just don't get it guys. Unless you are in desperately need of electricity (big nitrous system etc) why on earth are you willing to loose 15-25 HP? Remove it before you go racing and install it after a race. Or at least mount a power pulley when racing. Above a certain rpm (not as high as you might think) the fan stalls anyway.

If you race you race. No more, no less!

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
TyeDyeBug

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 21:18:28 pm »

X2!!  It's not worth the headache  LOL
dannyboy

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 23:00:57 pm »

I just don't get it guys. Unless you are in desperately need of electricity (big nitrous system etc) why on earth are you willing to loose 15-25 HP? Remove it before you go racing and install it after a race. Or at least mount a power pulley when racing. Above a certain rpm (not as high as you might think) the fan stalls anyway.

If you race you race. No more, no less!
i totally agree when on the track whats the point of going a bit slower just to say you ran slower but had your belt on???
but then its the same as running 11somthing na and not fitting gas and running 10 something  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

8.77@156.8mph 
O/FF 60
speed7

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 11:36:19 am »

Hi ,
I take off the belt at the beginning of a race weekend and put it back on before leaving for home.
In the meantime I use a replacement belt I made in a material that is used for transportation belts.
It's 10mm in diameter , round (and green) and can be soldered together using a normal soldering tool.

It allows revs up to approx 3500 rpm and can be mounted and taken of by hand without loosening
the alternator pulley ( of which the thread will be damaged after a number of WE of you do ...)

That way running back and waiting allows you to cool the engine and charge the battery.

Greetz
Marc

O/FF 377
12.86"@107Mph
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: