The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 04:53:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350773 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Alternative to CB Rotary Fuel pump?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alternative to CB Rotary Fuel pump?  (Read 8160 times)
leec

« on: April 09, 2012, 19:03:15 pm »

Having had one fail on me at drag day:( I am wondering what my alternatives are.

I liked the CB one as it didn't require a regulator and my fuel system is already done so do not really want to run a pump requiring a regulator. Problem with a like for like replacement as I am hearing more and more reliability issues with the cb/carter rotary fuel pump.

Any ideas?

Lee
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 22:54:30 pm »

I'm happy with my Mitsuba fuel pump. Quiet and reliable. Not cheap..

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
stealth67vw

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 02:31:25 am »

I'm running a Mallory Comp 70 pump, part number 4070LP. It is very, very quiet, gerotor design, uses 3/8" NPT fittings, easily rebuildable and made in USA. It comes factory set at 4psi, but can be turned down. I'm running it with no regulator. Also not as cheap as the CB pump but the quality is worth it for me. I rubber mounted it to my front bulkhead but I don't think it really need to be it is so quite. I can barely hear it with the engine shut off.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Mallory-70-GPH-High-Performance-Fuel-Pump-4070LP-p/mallory4070lp.htm
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 02:33:40 am by stealth67vw » Logged

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Fiatdude

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:36:54 am »

Lee --- I've had all kinds of pumps fail on me UNTIL I started running a regulator with a bypass and NOT ONE failure since.......

The fuel continuesly flowing through the pump keeps the temps way down and it makes them live --- I know that extra line back is a pain but not very expensive in the long run.... Lately I've seen some guys runing the bypass just past the pump so the return line is very short then.....
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:39:29 am by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
leec

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 09:56:24 am »

What pressure does it produce? You run IDA's don't you?

Have you got a link to one so I can see it?

Thank you for the other replies, don't mind a bit of noise though!!

Lee
Shane Noone

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 11:48:56 am »

Hi Lee, I'm running a Facet Interruptor ( thinks it's silver top model ) listed as race spec and through a malpassi filter king as you probably noticed at drag day ? Anyway seems up to the job of feeding my IDA's.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:23:00 pm »

What pressure does it produce? You run IDA's don't you?

Have you got a link to one so I can see it?

Thank you for the other replies, don't mind a bit of noise though!!

Lee

http://www.scparts.co.uk/index/lang-2/lkz-195/markenid-3/katnr-258/kat_sprache-2/hrubnr-1916/rubrik-8014/index.php?tpl=clickable_vertikal.tpl&artikeldetailtop=-500

I run IDA"s yes. I have a small regulator to get it to 3.5psi. Stock it does 4psi.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
leec

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 14:48:02 pm »

Hi Lee, I'm running a Facet Interruptor ( thinks it's silver top model ) listed as race spec and through a malpassi filter king as you probably noticed at drag day ? Anyway seems up to the job of feeding my IDA's.

Hi Shane,

Do you run a regulator?

Lee
Shane Noone

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 16:36:36 pm »

Hi Shane,

Do you run a regulator?

Lee

Hi Lee, yes the Malpassi Filter King is a regulator. The bowl shaped thing in my engine bay with a filter and presssure gauge attached.
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 20:46:09 pm »

.... Lately I've seen some guys runing the bypass just past the pump so the return line is very short

This approach is not great  practice as the pressure at the carbs will be considerably less after travelling all that distance from the regulator. It is better to go the conventional long way round... A hassle running a long return line, but flow and pressure will be correct. And like you say, the benefit of cooler fuel and a cool running pump.

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
speed7

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 02:28:27 am »

Hi Lee ,

after having trouble with a Holley Fuel pump , I switched to this german Fuel pump HARDI , which on top is auto regulating .
I had the regulator from the old pump and left it at the engine side , but the guy told me I did not really needed it while the pump
automatically regulates to a max pressure.

You can find one of the HARDI pumps on Ebay.de (germany) under item#   390102104298  (this is a 130 l/h)
There are different capacities available , and the guy at "Fireball.de" will reply at all questions you might have for the installation of your pump.

I use the pump on my street/strip 2180cc bug with dual 48 IDA's with no fuel starvation for now.

Greetz
Marc

O/FF 377
12.86"@107Mph
henk

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 10:04:24 am »

i bought  a hardi as well,the one for engines over 150hp
mine came from here.
http://www.german-performance-parts.be/index.php?item=electrische-benzinepomp&action=article&group_id=20000021&aid=239&lang=NL

henk!!!
Greg G

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 02:36:58 am »

Hi Lee ,

after having trouble with a Holley Fuel pump , I switched to this german Fuel pump HARDI , which on top is auto regulating .
I had the regulator from the old pump and left it at the engine side , but the guy told me I did not really needed it while the pump
automatically regulates to a max pressure.

You can find one of the HARDI pumps on Ebay.de (germany) under item#   390102104298  (this is a 130 l/h)
There are different capacities available , and the guy at "Fireball.de" will reply at all questions you might have for the installation of your pump.

I use the pump on my street/strip 2180cc bug with dual 48 IDA's with no fuel starvation for now.

Greetz
Marc

That is a good del for that pump. They are twice that price over here in the US.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: