The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:48:26 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350729 Posts in 28581 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Mahle main bearings partially covering oil holes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mahle main bearings partially covering oil holes  (Read 1681 times)
Brandon Sinclair

« on: March 15, 2009, 09:09:11 am »

This is my first experience using Mahle main bearings.  All my past experiences have been with KS bearings, but I have been unable to locate any for this engine.  Anyway for the split center main and the thrust bearing the oil grooves are on the outside of the bearing towards the case.  The oil holes in the case are exactly in the middle of the saddle but the oil groove in the bearing is not direclty in the middle and the oil holes are 1/2 way covered up.  What is the correct fix for this-either: 1. modify the bearing (maybe cut a half moon shape so the entire oil hole will be exposed), 2. oval out the hole in the case saddle so the oil gets to the entire oil groove in the bearing, 3. try some new bearings (if so which kind or where can I find some German KS).

Thanks

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 10:25:27 am »

I had a very simmilar problem with KS bearings on my AS41 mag case.

I modified holes in the case with Dremel tool, bearing stayed untouched. In your case, if the holes mismatch for one half, I would modify the backside of the bearing (teardrop the hole a bit) and the hole in the case too.
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 21:22:38 pm »

I wish mine were that close.  Anyone know where I can find a main bearing set for KS .060" case, standard on the crank and thrust?

I found this photo of a Mahle bearing being end milled for the oil port-I guess I can do the same with my dremel if I have no other option.

http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/265641.jpg
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 16:56:55 pm »

Brandon, are you running this .060 case in the same motor you are worried about rod side clearances?  Shocked
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 19:35:53 pm »

Yeah, what was I thinking?  Oh well too late now.  It is only a 1776 anyways so I will see how it turns out shortly.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: