The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 19:01:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  32NDX Zenith carburetor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 32NDX Zenith carburetor  (Read 4534 times)
Frenchy Dehoux

« on: September 17, 2012, 18:27:51 pm »

I have just finish a 1958 Porsche Cabriolet engine fired it up yesterday and ran it on the stand for about 30 minutes. Now I was doing some fine tunning when I was looking down the carburetor throat and notice that a screw was missing on both carburetor which is suppose to hold down the air jet in place in pictures #3 and 4 you can see where the screw is to held the air jet in picture # 6 you can see there is a screw holding these two air jets this one carburetor is an extra one I had so wanted to compare the other ones from the Porsche motor. Also these carburetors had the small piece between these air jet broken off possibly to illiminate for if this screw holding these jet would be easier to remove them without having to remove the top of the carburetor. Let me know if some of you may of seen this screw missing like the one shown. I will be installing these two screws to hold down these air jets.

Thanks
 Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 04:34:46 am »

That shouldn't be missing, but it probably isn't really necessary. You probably already know this, but it isn't metric thread, or standard. It's something else (I can't remember the name), but it isn't available at your local hardware store!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Donny B.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 16:09:37 pm »

Could it be whitworth threads?

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Dyno-Don

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 22:47:10 pm »

Speaking of Zenith's - I don't seem to see much about them these days. Back in the 70's we sold a ton of them and they were considered the Hot Set up for a single carb. So what gives?
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 23:18:33 pm »

Dyno

I remember one night when we had a VW Ralley and the end was at Shakey's Pizza I think near Tustin Auto Haus and you had you 67 Maroon colour VW bug with a 1641CC with a single Zenith and did a burn out on the street and you never let off the throttle for a block so I know Zenith carburetor are a good set up especially if you have two of them. I know you and I did street race side by side with your car and blew my doors off with my blue oval soon after I asked you if you had a big motor with IDA's and you told me know just a 1641 cc with a single Zenith and I asked you to open the hood so that I could verified. To my surprise ever since I stayed away from pulling next to you at the light LOL the good old days indeed. Dyno you are DA MAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frenchy

dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 23:25:51 pm »

Zenith carbs were nice until the Holley '300' Bug Sprays came into place, but like most all else that was affordable and reliable, they eventually went to the wayside . I still do see people running the Zenith as they were known for their smoothness, and  like you Don, wish they were still making them. I went to check out some 'Old School' parts advertised for sale a few years ago and when I got to the guys house I discovered that he had abot 50 Zenith carbs all in pristine ccondition along with some Weber DCNf 40/42/44 carbs. I bought a few sets of Bitchin DCNF's and when I called the number again about 6 months later to purchase some Zenith's , found out that he had passed away and his wife 'gave away' ALL the parts in his garage.  (#$%^)..!!
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:18:45 am »

Let me know if some of you may of seen this screw missing like the one shown.

I have one out in the garage missing that screw.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:46:33 am »

Zenith carbs were nice until the Holley '300' Bug Sprays came into place, but like most all else that was affordable and reliable, they eventually went to the wayside . I still do see people running the Zenith as they were known for their smoothness, and  like you Don, wish they were still making them. I went to check out some 'Old School' parts advertised for sale a few years ago and when I got to the guys house I discovered that he had abot 50 Zenith carbs all in pristine ccondition along with some Weber DCNf 40/42/44 carbs. I bought a few sets of Bitchin DCNF's and when I called the number again about 6 months later to purchase some Zenith's , found out that he had passed away and his wife 'gave away' ALL the parts in his garage.  (#$%^)..!!

Don, we sold both Zenith's and Bug Spray's (which were a re worked Holley 94 from flat head Fords) side by Side at Auto Haus. The guys that wanted Cheap bought the Holley, and the guys that wanted performance bought the Zenith - at least that's the way we presented them at the Costa Mesa Store!

I just saw a guy who sells rebuilt ones on the web - $860.00 if you have a core! $1260.00 if you don't!!!!!!!!!!

The other Dyno Don  Wink
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:50:15 am »

Could it be whitworth threads?

Wasn't whitworth either. The hardware store I went to figured out what it was, but didn't have a clue where to get any.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
dyno don
DKK

DGVA DZK (old school 70's)

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 07:14:39 am »

Frenchy, I believe you were referring to ME....?  back in 73..? That was my Ruby Red 1967 sedan that embarrassed many 48ida cars(no offense) and you were right about that part with the exception being that my engine was > a 1600 single port with my fully hand massaged 30 PICT 1 single carb. with my first ported heads and engle 100 cam and 10lb. flywheel....  That car hauled ass ( I know,hard to believe for those not in the know), and did awesome 60ft burnouts/torque Monster.... I bought that sedan shortly around or after I worked at Auto Haus in the Warehouse with my late friend and room mate Walter Gadzinski who later went on to work at Treuhaft with the late Ray Stoddard in their R&D program. BTW: shortly after that street experience with you I purchased one of the first few sets from the first run of Kadrons which later propelled my Ruby Red 67 as well as my Famous Notchback with the same engine after some improvements. My friend Walter Gadzinski had the first set of kadrons on his 1600 dual port 71 super beetle from the Treuhaft R&d dept. upon collaboration with Allan Treuhaft and Ray Stoddard along with the first R&D Stoddard 106 cam. Frenchy... " Sorry 'Bout That"....not a 1641 and no Zenith/LOL  Those were such fun days and your cars were and are ALWAYS Beautiful....    "The Voice" Dyno Don Chamberlin
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 07:27:24 am »

Frenchy, I believe you were referring to ME....?  back in 73..? That was my Ruby Red 1967 sedan that embarrassed many 48ida cars(no offense) and you were right about that part with the exception being that my engine was > a 1600 single port with my fully hand massaged 30 PICT 1 single carb. with my first ported heads and engle 100 cam and 10lb. flywheel....  That car hauled ass ( I know,hard to believe for those not in the know), and did awesome 60ft burnouts/torque Monster.... I bought that sedan shortly around or after I worked at Auto Haus in the Warehouse with my late friend and room mate Walter Gadzinski who later went on to work at Treuhaft with the late Ray Stoddard in their R&D program. BTW: shortly after that street experience with you I purchased one of the first few sets from the first run of Kadrons which later propelled my Ruby Red 67 as well as my Famous Notchback with the same engine after some improvements. My friend Walter Gadzinski had the first set of kadrons on his 1600 dual port 71 super beetle from the Treuhaft R&d dept. upon collaboration with Allan Treuhaft and Ray Stoddard along with the first R&D Stoddard 106 cam. Frenchy... " Sorry 'Bout That"....not a 1641 and no Zenith/LOL  Those were such fun days and your cars were and are ALWAYS Beautiful....    "The Voice" Dyno Don Chamberlin

Don

Thank You for your post again I must of had too many drinks at Shakeys Pizza that day could not remember what size engine you had and carburetor. But all I remember is that your car haulass all the time. Take care Dyno

Frenchy

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: