The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 18:43:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What are your opinions about wrapping your header???
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: What are your opinions about wrapping your header???  (Read 13962 times)
TomJ

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2014, 19:14:20 pm »

I recall a couple of years ago or more there was an article in Hot VW's about making heat shieds out of thin sheet metal / aluminum cans for pipes under and around the engine. They were supposed to work and I think had some data to back it up. There were even patterns to use to make the shields. I'll look at my old Hot VW's mags.......

Sounds like some great info to share Jeff!

Cheers

Tom Smiley
Mike Lawless

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2014, 21:23:07 pm »

The only downside I can see to wrapping an exhaust would be the potential corrosion issue. In a dry environment like Arizona, that reservation goes away.

I never wrapped my header when the car was NA. With the turbo, I wrapped it for a couple reasons. Due to it's proximity to some fuel system components, I wanted to have a heat barrier there. Not only did I wrap the header, I also put hi temp sleeving over the fuel lines it is close to. The other was to keep it from hurting the paint on the deck lid. So far, so good. I used the DEI titanium wrap. It's not easy to use. It's much stiffer than other kinds, but I wanted max protection, and that was the one that got the best reviews.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Baz54

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2014, 20:36:26 pm »

Hi, there was a long discussion regarding this in the group b car club a few years ago. What we found is that because of the wrap, the headers could not cool properly witch lead to heat sink in the heads and in extreme cases warp the valve guides.  Stainless heat shields over the headers worked better than anything else and allowed them to cool naturally and divert the heat out of the bay. Some had a thermostatic switched fans that would draw hot air out of the engine bay when the car was stopped .  Some nice stainless sheet that would fit between the headers and rear valance and direct the hot air away would be the thing. It's a pity I'm not talented enough to make one Cheesy
Cheers Paul.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: