The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 17:37:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350786 Posts in 28591 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Issues with IMI starter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Issues with IMI starter  (Read 1743 times)
Sepi

« on: April 20, 2014, 20:54:58 pm »

It was time to fill the oil and I wanted to use the starter to circulate it to all channels and pipes. It was quite surprise as the brand new IMI starter continued to run as long as I could switch off the mains - only few seconds. I have now removed all the other wiring to starter but the one from a battery and testing with a jump wire direct from battery to solenoid, just the same result. Solenoid sounds ok tested alone and it must move freely on and off. So I have to remove the starter from a very tight place and test it on the table. Don't like that, but what else I could do?

Have anybody else heard such a problem with the IMI power starter? What is expected when I open the solenoid? Starter is bought last year and never used before I fit it to engine
Fiatdude

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 00:41:30 am »

I've got a selection of aftermarket starters including the IMI's on my shelves here in my garage -- -- always end up going back to the starters from the autoshifts -- they don't use the bushings in the trans and they spin faster than the gear reduction units -- fire my 2989 very easily

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
Sepi

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 08:37:07 am »

I got the starter out and opened it. Just as I expected, the most robust and simple system. But what cemical or grease is the right anti-spatter now to prevent such a welding effect? After about ten starts those contacts look already like these. What about after five years...

Sepi

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 19:36:53 pm »

There must be something else hidden problem inside, as after all visible reasons sorted out, the starter still behaved like before. The new IMI will come as warranty basis and when ever it arrives, I'll test it before fitting into that nasty place behind fuelpipes, käferbars, etc
So be aware, there seems to be something similar even with other IMI's, I was told
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: