The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 19:15:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  1970 Meyers Manx SR2 : Show winner/ volksworld car/ fast/ rare/ ridiculous!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1970 Meyers Manx SR2 : Show winner/ volksworld car/ fast/ rare/ ridiculous!  (Read 5336 times)
downlowmatt

« on: May 11, 2011, 11:41:23 am »

I realised last night that although I have listed the SR2 on VZi and carandclassic I forgot the mighty Lounge! So, yes, the unbelievable SR2 is for sale! I'm happy to take offers... read on...

What is it?

This is the car that Bruce Meyers designed after he had enough of building beach buggies that got copied… he wanted to design a VW Beetle based street buggy, so enlisted the help of a young Californian designer and created this, the Meyers Manx SR (Street Roadster).
This one is actually an SR2, which has a number of design improvements over the original SR, built after he sold the moulds to Karma Coachworks.

Is it rare?

Yes… I know of only one other in Europe. In USA my informed guess is there are probably less than 100 left. In terms of totals back in the day, Meyers made about 250, Karma less than 100, then there were a couple of weird versions with square headlights.

What work has been done?

Over 1000 hours have been spent, probably nearer 1500…
- over 300 holes filled in the bodywork (some over a foot long – check the picture!)
- fully painted in Audi ibis white and stonechip with satin black mechanicals
- new floorpan halves with strengtheners and seat runners (zero flex)
- fully mechanically overhauled,
- IRS gearbox with high ratio cruises at 70mph 2500rpm
- full service on the 1776 which runs sweet, really torquey and smooth
- new twin weber 34ict carbs, electronic ignition etc
- lowered with 2narrowed beam, new shocks etc
- one off custom exhaust
- NOS formuling france steering wheel & hurst indy shifter
- restored original seats, gauges, wheels & tyres, hinges, bodywork, blaupunkt radio and everything else…

To give you an idea of the work involved in restoring this little beast, take a look at the photo of it dissassembled below and consider that just getting the gullwing doors to work properly took a whole week of solid work. With the 1776 it is well fast – just watch out for potholes!

So far it has been to the Volksworld Show, Stonor Park (won best buggy), has been the only car on the Volksworld stand all weekend at Bug Jam 2010, and been featured in November 2010 Volksworld…

How much is it?

I reduced the price from what it owed me (lots!) to £12,000 ... I'm now just asking for "offers". I'm in no mental rush to sell the car but also with my 56 ghia, 68 bug, 75 golf and another buggy to build I really don't need to keep it!  I just want to find someone who wants this car and then we can work out a deal.

Where is the car?

Well, its in London, but I'm happy to ship worldwide and help with organizing it. I'd love it to stay in Europe. I can deliver it to EBI or DasDragDay (et en plus je parle francais!).

I'm quite happy to keep it for the summer as it is absolutely NUTS to drive on the street and to shows, but its not a part of my long term plan, so if you like it, let me KNOW! Cheers

I can honestly say that, as far as I know, it’s the best and most original SR2 in world and I really hope it can go to a collector who will keep it and enjoy it, as it is crazy to drive on the street.. so, I hope you like it and get in touch!

Cheers
carlito421

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 16:59:49 pm »

my dream... (oh sorry, one of my dreams  Grin )
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 17:02:02 pm by carlito421 » Logged

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 04:47:14 am »

Correction:

What work has been done?

Over 1000 hours have been spent, probably nearer 1500…
- over 300 holes filled in the bodywork (some over a foot long – check the picture!)
- fully painted in Audi ibis white and stonechip with satin black mechanicals
- new floorpan halves with strengtheners and seat runners (zero flex)
- fully mechanically overhauled,
- IRS gearbox with high ratio cruises at 70mph 2500rpm
- full service on the 1776 which runs sweet, really torquey and smooth
- new twin weber 34ict carbs, electronic ignition etc
- lowered with 4" narrowed beam, new shocks etc
- one off custom exhaust
- NOS formuling france steering wheel & hurst indy shifter
- restored original seats, gauges, wheels & tyres, hinges, bodywork, blaupunkt radio and everything else…

Email you later tonight dude  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: