The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 23:15:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  Wanted
| | |-+  muffler: single quite pack
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: muffler: single quite pack  (Read 5927 times)
nicolas

« on: June 15, 2010, 06:26:52 am »

i am looking for a nice single quitepack. BUT it needs to fit under the apron of a type3. so it will need to bend back under the car and not be in full vieuw.

the flange of the the merged header is visible and therefore sticks out. output is around 110hp if that is an issue with single quitepacks

if someone has one for me, that would be great.

the CSP type3 exhaust is on the list, but somehow it doesn't fit the 'style' of the car i want to achieve.
CHR!S/DVK

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:59:14 am »

perhaps the flat4 single quiet pack could fit in your fender, probably after some modifications.

it's a nice muffler anyway and even i had to get the flange rewelded for a proper fit.

Member of DVK - Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 12:32:15 pm »

Nicolas, I had a Bugpack tuckaway on my Ghia, the one that sticks the muffler alongside the rocker box. After a while one of the pipes started to rust through, so I chopped it up and made a single quiet pack out of it - there were enough bends I could use to place the box exactly where I wanted it to be. Just an idea? Huh

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 16:23:18 pm »

Nicolas, I had a Bugpack tuckaway on my Ghia, the one that sticks the muffler alongside the rocker box. After a while one of the pipes started to rust through, so I chopped it up and made a single quiet pack out of it - there were enough bends I could use to place the box exactly where I wanted it to be. Just an idea? Huh

i have the bugpack tuckaway as well, but somehow the performance is lower with that big muffler as with a cheaper glasspack  Shocked so maybe somthing is wrong with the muffler (too much restricion,...). so that is why i am looking at different options. but the muffler hidden under the valance is a must with small mechanics (children)  Wink
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:53:23 am »

i have the bugpack tuckaway as well, but somehow the performance is lower with that big muffler as with a cheaper glasspack  Shocked so maybe somthing is wrong with the muffler (too much restricion,...). so that is why i am looking at different options. but the muffler hidden under the valance is a must with small mechanics (children)  Wink

It could be because of the three miles of pipework connecting the header to the muffler and then on to the tip! I found that it worked better as a single QP.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
bugnut68

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 19:01:39 pm »

It could be because of the three miles of pipework connecting the header to the muffler and then on to the tip! I found that it worked better as a single QP.

I remember a dyno test in Hot VWs in which they tested an S&S header (1-1/2") with the hideaway muffler and it matched dual QPs for power.  Maybe it was because it was a merged header on a bigger engine, as I've heard that the dual QPs like more flow in making power?
Did you rejet when you installed the exhaust?
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 11:17:22 am »

thanks for the info. if you can find the issue, please let me know, i'll ask Fabian if he can scan it for me as i have that exact setup.

merged  1 1/2 SS header (for type3) and a hideaway. but it works, just with the glasspack the power seemed to be more 'there'. no jetting was changed, but the seasons went from summer to winter. i'll have to look into this a bit more with some testing i guess.
but i am after lowend torque as the type3 will 'only' pull to 6000. maybe the glasspack is so restrictive it just is better at low rpms??? but no dyno to test that theory
Gunter

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 07:16:06 am »

here is our CSP one on Hamsters type III

Gunter
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 06:20:08 am »

it looks good, but it doesn't have that 70's feeling to it that i want for this car. the exhaust tip is a bit too modern for my taste, but that doesn't mean i doubt the product isn't good quality or that it doesn't look good on another car.

alex d

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 12:04:48 pm »

I would stick to the glasspack, it doesn't get more 70s than that  Wink
lofty1971

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »

Have you tried Paul Medhurst at www.typethreedetectives.com?
nicolas

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 20:31:59 pm »

yes, but no. it doesn' look right in this setup.  Undecided

what am i looking for? does he make a special exhaust?
lofty1971

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 09:00:00 am »

yes, but no. it doesn' look right in this setup.  Undecided

what am i looking for? does he make a special exhaust?

The place for anything Type3 related, definitely in the UK, but the world as well  Wink

If they can't find you one, Matt Balls will probably make one for you.  Send them an email/give them a call.
nicolas

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 11:56:06 am »

i know Paul and T3D so it is type3, but nothing on the market fits my requirements (so it seems) and if i have to fab something, i will have to find a good shop who can do that. but it looks like i will be looking at a hideaway muffler again. i liked that look, so why change?
alex d

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 12:57:24 pm »

got a picture of how it looks with the glasspack?
nicolas

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 06:15:07 am »

got a picture of how it looks with the glasspack?

no but i'll try to discrbe it. in one word ugly!

really, the header is an SS and the flange sits just behind the apron, so when the cheap muffler is mounted (and it doesn't look like the one Felix has) the whole muffler hangs from under the bumper and sticks out behind it. so that isn't really nice.

Nostalgiavw67

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 09:29:37 am »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=986241

;-)
nicolas

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 13:08:45 pm »

thanks  Grin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: