The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 19:12:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350757 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  Wanted
| | |-+  Looking for a mid 70's Hot VWs mag
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Looking for a mid 70's Hot VWs mag  (Read 3042 times)
Tweaver500

« on: January 08, 2012, 22:33:07 pm »

Hi, back in the day, Stuart Thomas owner of Headflow performance lived 2 doors down from us. My big brother Paul was good friends with him, and naturally, had a real fast Bug. Stuart would design new heads or something, and Paul's 67 was often the test vehicle. He of course made the Bug Ins, and some time in 1975 or 1976 his Beetle appeared in Hot VWs (I don't know if it was specifically featured) . His copy disappeared long ago, and he can't remember which specific edition it was.
I would like to try to find that issue for his birthday. Is there a place I could look through old copies to spot his bug?
All I can remember is it was a red 67' Beetle, the back seat was removed, and replaced with shag carpet and wood paneling. I'm not sure, but I think it was at a Bug In.
Anyone have any hints to help me?
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 05:11:48 am »

A lil off the subject, Stuart use to have the bitchen yellow Baja right? Its been about 25 years ago?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 21:02:56 pm »

here is a link to back issues of hot vws, it has scans of the front cover and contents page.

http://www.hotvws.com/images/Back%20Issues/Yearly%20Index/index.htm

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 06:34:08 am »

I have all of the 1975 and 76 issues in front of me.
Any hints ?
 Huh
Tweaver500

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 00:56:43 am »

Stuart had a really nice orange 68" Beetle as far as I know.
I was trying to find this issue as a birthday present for Paul. All I can get out of him was that it had a picture of him coming off the line at a bug in race, and his name Paul Weaver was listed a placing. I know the magazines are out there, but I need to find the right issue.
All I remember about the car is it was a red 67'
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 16:08:03 pm »

just watched all the 75 issue and nothing with a red 67  now the dec 75 vw greats had a red 67 on the cover , but this one  was jim logudice car 
if you have more info on that red 67  i can watch again the magazine ,  it was a complete report on the car, or just a picture in a event report Huh

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 16:45:29 pm »

OK, the Bug-In 15 reports in Hot VWs (January 1976) and Volkswagen Greats (February 1976) both mention Paul Weaver as coming runner-up in the Bracket 4 class, with Randy Dregus as winner. Neither, though, have a photo of the car on the line. VW Trends issue #1 has a Bug-In 15 report, but no mention of Paul Weaver. However, there is a photo of a ’67 Bug on track, which could be red – it has DDS rims on the back, stockers on the front. Is this it?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Tweaver500

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:37 am »

That car is very close to his. But his bug was de-chromed, and had a small silver disc on the left front quarter panel, which operated his home made car alarm. Also, his front rims were stockers, but painted silver and his nerf bars were chromed.
Thank you guys for looking.
Hecker

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 05:47:33 am »

OK, the Bug-In 15 reports in Hot VWs (January 1976) and Volkswagen Greats (February 1976) both mention Paul Weaver as coming runner-up in the Bracket 4 class, with Randy Dregus as winner. Neither, though, have a photo of the car on the line. VW Trends issue #1 has a Bug-In 15 report, but no mention of Paul Weaver. However, there is a photo of a ’67 Bug on track, which could be red – it has DDS rims on the back, stockers on the front. Is this it?

Looks like Rich Cowles B/MC Car  -- VW Blue 67 racin from the BERG stables ran 12 flat to 12:15
all the time, later he joined DVB !!!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: