The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 11:49:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350703 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Home made 67 cab lid?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Home made 67 cab lid?  (Read 3756 times)
max2919

« on: November 05, 2006, 20:15:04 pm »

I have heard that newer engine lids (70-72) has the same openings as the 58-67 cab lids. Is this true? Huh

VW 57 Ghia RLR 2919cc TURBO!
Porsche 356A Coupe replika.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2006, 20:49:24 pm »

The Vents on the 68 to 70 Convertible and the 70-71 Bettle 2 Vent Deck Lids.. The Vents are about 3/4 of a inch wider then the 58-67 convertible deck lids  Most of the People Making up the Convertible Deck Lids are using the wider Vents in Them you can only tell if you had an Original next to it..  or if you measure it.   heres a real 67 convertible deck lid
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 20:53:56 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 03:56:21 am »

There was an article in HotVWs about this modification within the last 2 years. It looks simple enough.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 08:20:54 am »

How much cooling do you get with a 'vert decklid on a sedan? I'm really trying to stay away from stand offs or hood props on my car.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Turtle001

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 11:01:18 am »

can somebody scan that article vrom HotVW's - thanx

swedish '59er in a winter sleep
http://turtle.skynetblogs.be
maX cal-look

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 12:54:27 pm »

Yes please, anybody can scan the HotVW's, because I have problem during the conception on mine !!

Realy difficulte !!  Embarrassed

Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 19:05:35 pm »

If you tell me what Issue it is in I Scan It for you Guys... Wink

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Peter S

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 08:53:17 am »

My first try at making a 67 'vert lid was done just like yours Max.
The problem of doing like that and welding close to the inlets is that the metal warps and the job of straightening the lid is a pain in the butt since you can't get to every part beacause of the supporting "beam" on the inside that the hinges is mounted to.

Thanks to my friend Tomas Andersson, who managed to locate a genuine one for his own Cal look '67, I got the exact location of the inlets. The inlets are both by shape and position incredibly similar to the ones used on the 70-71bugs. I'm pretty convinced the factory used the same tool to make both.

For my second lid and in order to avoid warpage of the metal closest to and get the position of the inlets right, I therefore chose to cut the upper section of the '70 donor unit off in one piece for the transplant to the '67 lid. The curvature of the two is not near the same, so a lot of bending and test fitting was necessary to make them line up. After a whole lot of work the pieces was finally tacked together.

You can have a look at it at: http://user.tninet.se/~xnf969f/minabilar/min67/baklucka1.jpg

I might add that this was done well before the article in Hot VW's was published  Wink

I also drilled the spot welds holding the supporting "beam" away and removed it while doing this operation. All this to be able to get to every part of the lid for welding, grinding and straightening.

A lot of work? Yes, but the fact is that this method uses less amount of welding than the first one and since you never get close to the inlets, the end result is a lot better.

The irony in this is that when I was finaly done with my home made 'vert lid, I managed to locate a genuine one....

I'ts closer than ever....
maX cal-look

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 13:21:58 pm »

Houaou !!  Shocked
Thank's for this explication, I read two times because I french and in English ... Grin Wink
I understood my mistack ...
For my part, I do like that ...

and cut, but I forgot to take only one piece VS twins !! And after when we ( fredd67 ) try to put one a Lid67, the result was :

The "curvature" was differente, and we don't arrived to welding "vert" !
But with courage and beers, we will finish, toogether, we win with my friend fredd67 ( him blog http://fredd67.skynetblogs.be/!! Grin Cool

Thank's Peter S !

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: