The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 10:37:25 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Holding the counter up (i.e. tales from the parts counter)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Holding the counter up (i.e. tales from the parts counter)  (Read 13508 times)
Jim Ratto

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2010, 23:19:40 pm »

Ok Carb story... we sold rebuilt carbs and the store policy was that we couldn't take a return on a carb if it had been installed. One saturday, I sold this guy a carb for a Corolla. He comes back to return it a few hours later. I smell gas when I open the box and explain the policy to him. He swears that he never installed it. I take the carb out of the box and flip it over onto the counter... all the gas from the float bowl gushes onto the counter. He still swears that he never installed it and that we must have sold it to him with the gas in it.. WTF???  Grin

Rick, what about the Corona and the Crown or the 911 with hubcaps? I'll share some later but I need to make sure Greiner isn't lurking.

Glenn

Ok the 911 with the hubcaps... that's a good one...

Had customer come in with an early 911 and he needed tune up parts. The car could either have a Bosch or Marelli Dist in it and of course the customer didn't know so I strolled out to take a look. Now the Santa Ana BAP store didn't have a parking lot so this guy was parked along the curb on Main St. Back in the day JC Witney sold these very cheezy & cheap looking wheel covers that were made to look like Porsche Alloy's. So I stroll up to this rather beat 911 that is sporting a set of these hubcaps. I stick my head in the engine compartment and determine that it has a Bosch distributor. I start to walk back into the store and I glance over at the rear wheel. Now these wheel covers have the same round triangle cut outs that the real alloys have on them.... I stop, rub my eyes and peer a little closer... through the cut out I can clearly see that there is a real Porsche Alloy under the wheel cover?? Front wheel was the same.  Shocked Huh

Glenn, you'll have to remind me about the Corona/Crown thing.

hahahaha that's awesome, if I ever get a set of alloys, I want to do that. Grin
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2010, 23:27:52 pm »

Didn't you have a customer come in looking for a part for a To#¤ta Crown / Corona. I believe that these were two different models way back when. From what I remember you asked if it was a Crown or a Corona and he just nodded yes. (I believe Corona means Crown in spanish?)

Right... That's about all I remember... Crown was the "Big" To#¤ta and the Corona was the next model down. Since Corona means Crown in Spanish, it got confusing for our Spanish speaking customers.

Then there was an NGK catalog that listed the To#¤ta Cerica instead of Celica... I guess they spelled it phonetically.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 23:36:48 pm »

ok another Toybota story.

A mechanic calls me on the phone... ok this is a MECHANIC... someone who  should have a basic knowledge of cars etc.

He wants some parts for a Corolla. Since Corollas of that vintage had 2 motors... a 1200cc and a 1600cc I ask him;

"What size is the motor?"

"I dunno... let me check"

He comes back a minute later and says... serious as a heart attack

"ok the motor is 18 by 24 inches"   Shocked Grin
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 23:38:42 pm by DKK Rick » Logged

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2010, 00:59:49 am »

HA! I remember when you told me the 911 hubcap story... I never tire of that one.

Rayburn's gonna have to help me with this one, since my wrinkled memory is getting old. One day, I was at the Long Beach Auto Haus store as usual. And I'm guessing that it must've been slow... 'cause some drunk older cat staggers into the showroom. I know this, 'cause I would build engines in the back for customers, friends, and myself... and the door buzzer sounds off. I wipe the grease from my hands, go out front and asked him if he needed anything or had any questions regarding our products. He's obviously fermented with alcohol and says, "Sure, you can help me... where is there a bar around here?" I pause for two seconds, look directly into the 49'r Tavern right next door (if you were standing in our front doorway, you could literally peer right into the west end of the bar counter top. I look back at Mr. Drunks R' Us and reply, "Yes, sir. If you walk south on P.C.H. (Pacific Coast Hwy. and the street we were on), towards the ocean, you'll find many Irish pubs."

For those not familiar with the surrounding area(s), Seal Beach is the next beach town down the highway and it's another several miles, at that. Where there ARE several Irish style bars still open to this day. Later, I guess Rayburn was going to Long Beach State University (across the street from the shop). He had to drive north on the highway 'cause he was living in Huntington Harbor (or Sunset Beach... I forget). I think he either stopped in the shop or called me and said something about the drunk dude staggering down the hill along the highway, heading towards Seal Beach.

Of course, I had to share the story with John. I only wish that he was there when it took place. Needless to say, he got a good chuckle on that one. John, please feel free to fill in any blanks that I may have forgotten. Oh, and this was almost thirty years ago... so when all of this went down, John was driving the same Cal Looker he's got now. Pretty cool, I'd say!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:02:16 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2010, 03:47:23 am »

(several years ago)

Phone rings... I answer..."Dave's Motorwerke!"
Caller: You sell used parts?
Me: I have some, what do you need?
Caller: A used Sapphire radio
Me: Six or twelve volt?
Caller: I really don't care, I just want a stock looking radio to fill the hole in my dash
Me: OK, I have one complete with knobs and dash plate you can have for $40.00
Caller: I'll be right down!
Me: OK, but remember, the price is $40.00 and bring CASH.

So here's the deal... this guy calls while I'm trying to build an engine... no big deal, customer comes first, I got it. I stop what I'm doing to go dig this radio out of the "outback" Anybody familiar with my shop knew the outback was an old paint spray booth behind the shop that I stored my used treasures in... it was also a colossal mess... crap everywhere. Some time later, I find the Sapphire... pretty nice looking AM radio actually, complete just as I stated... heck, it probably even works.

About this time the caller comes in the door.

Caller: I'm here for the radio!
Me: Here it is (as I hand it to him)

Now... this is where he was supposed to hand me the $40.00 CASH, thank me and leave.

No way.

This guy inspects the radio like it's precious metal or something... looking it over... top to bottom... side to side... front to back... by now I'm getting pissed.

Caller: So how much?
Me: I told you $40.00 CASH.
Caller: ummmm...  hmmmm... well.... how about $30.00?

I calmly took the radio from his hands, SET IT ON THE GROUND AND BEAT IT WITH A HAMMER!! Right in front of him.

Only then did I say "sure, I'll take $30.00"

The guy did not say another word and backed out of the shop the same way he came in, not taking his eyes off me... I guess I was a little burned out on the whole shop scene by then...

It was funny though Grin

~DR.

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2010, 05:19:15 am »

My hero.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2010, 07:33:22 am »

I calmly took the radio from his hands, SET IT ON THE GROUND AND BEAT IT WITH A HAMMER!! Right in front of him.

The guy did not say another word and backed out of the shop the same way he came in, not taking his eyes off me... I guess I was a little burned out on the whole shop scene by then...

It was funny though Grin

HOLY COW, DAVE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I almost coated my computer screen with Firestone D.B.A. (Double Barrel Ale). I've never seen you mad in all of the years that I've known you. But I just made a mental note to never anger you, after reading that priceless story. Truly classic, my friend.

~Sarge
plasticblack

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2010, 16:44:22 pm »

This isn't so much a 'Parts' story as a story about what we used to do when nobody was buying any parts...

It was probably about 1975/76 and I was working in a really cool Auto Parts Store a few minutes walk from my local town centre.

The shop was well located and we used to get loads of 'walk in' customers all the time. But this particular week was dead.......

My Boss decided that rather than have us sit around drinking cola and eating chips, he though that a spot of redecorating would be just the thing to get us actuality earning our wages..

The boss disappears into the store room and reappears a few minutes later with a Big Tub of Paint and some Brushes?? We're told to move the display cabinets and paint the walls in the shop front and around the sales counter area.

Although 'not very keen' on the idea of this task, we shift the units and once the Boss is convinced were on task, he goes out for the day (as usual).

After about an hour of painting we get bored and I decide that it would be Pretty Funny to paint some Graffiti on the wall...

So I paint ' F@@K YOU ' across the wall behind the counter and we both have a jolly good laugh about it, because it's obviously very, very funny right.. Even bodering on Hilarious yeah??

After we finish up painting out the text we put back the shop as it was, units back in place etc etc. The Jobs looking good so I pop off to get some more Cola and chips  to toast a job well done.

However on my return my buddy isn't looking to happy and directs my attention to the newly painted wall behind the counter..

The words 'F@@K YOU' are clearly visible through the top coat we've slung over the top and glancing at the clock I realise we have about an hour until closing and the return of the boss!!

Problem is that there is no paint left in the tub and the nearest paint shop is a good 15 minutes walk away..

I arrive at the paint shop 10 minutes later and purchase (with my own money) some decent quality paint and we set to the task of covering up my previous handiwork.

We finish with about 15 minute to spare before the boss shows up and get everything back as it should just in time..

There is a moral to this story somewhere, but who cares about that right??

The shop is still there to this day and although it's no longer a Parts Store (Funeral Parlour Offices) I still have a little smile if i happen to walk past the window. Wink

TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2010, 19:32:25 pm »

Perfect. I love you man. Cheesy

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Jim Ratto

« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 19:36:19 pm »

(several years ago)

Phone rings... I answer..."Dave's Motorwerke!"
Caller: You sell used parts?
Me: I have some, what do you need?
Caller: A used Sapphire radio
Me: Six or twelve volt?
Caller: I really don't care, I just want a stock looking radio to fill the hole in my dash
Me: OK, I have one complete with knobs and dash plate you can have for $40.00
Caller: I'll be right down!
Me: OK, but remember, the price is $40.00 and bring CASH.

So here's the deal... this guy calls while I'm trying to build an engine... no big deal, customer comes first, I got it. I stop what I'm doing to go dig this radio out of the "outback" Anybody familiar with my shop knew the outback was an old paint spray booth behind the shop that I stored my used treasures in... it was also a colossal mess... crap everywhere. Some time later, I find the Sapphire... pretty nice looking AM radio actually, complete just as I stated... heck, it probably even works.

About this time the caller comes in the door.

Caller: I'm here for the radio!
Me: Here it is (as I hand it to him)

Now... this is where he was supposed to hand me the $40.00 CASH, thank me and leave.

No way.

This guy inspects the radio like it's precious metal or something... looking it over... top to bottom... side to side... front to back... by now I'm getting pissed.

Caller: So how much?
Me: I told you $40.00 CASH.
Caller: ummmm...  hmmmm... well.... how about $30.00?

It was funny though Grin

~DR.

I love it Dave. You woulda fit right in @ BH with us.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 22:13:52 pm »

Thanks guys... 25+ years in the VW business gives you some stories Wink I'm not nearly as wild anymore... honest Grin

Stan Davis

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 00:20:50 am »

Being Stupid 101

back to Auto Haus in Orange......because we sold more vw parts than anything else, we were used to VW guys  or girls coming in asking for the usual....but one day this guy drives up in pretty stock looking sedan with Porsche chrome wheels and hubcaps.Now everybody knew back then how much those hubcaps cost (I think they were like $95 apiece or something riduculous). So he's walking around the store and he asks about headers for his car. So I run down prices and types and the usual. So I comment on his hubcaps, and ask if he locks his car in a garage each night to prevent his hubcaps from getting stolen (cause there was a lot of car thieves running around Orange County in those days !) anyway...he syas, and I'm serious, this is a direct quote, "naw, I don't even worry about them." "I spot welded the hubcaps onto the wheels so that nobody can get them off!!!" I was cracking up! I almost dropped to the ground behind the counter and rolled around! I go "Dude, how are you going to change tires if you get a flat tire?" (now he's all red and embarrased, and says, "oh, I didn't think of that!" DDDDDDDAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN! He just turned away, walked out to his car, "tried" to do a burn out and left. We all laughed about that for days!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 00:24:27 am »

Being Stupid 101

back to Auto Haus in Orange......because we sold more vw parts than anything else, we were used to VW guys  or girls coming in asking for the usual....but one day this guy drives up in pretty stock looking sedan with Porsche chrome wheels and hubcaps.Now everybody knew back then how much those hubcaps cost (I think they were like $95 apiece or something riduculous). So he's walking around the store and he asks about headers for his car. So I run down prices and types and the usual. So I comment on his hubcaps, and ask if he locks his car in a garage each night to prevent his hubcaps from getting stolen (cause there was a lot of car thieves running around Orange County in those days !) anyway...he syas, and I'm serious, this is a direct quote, "naw, I don't even worry about them." "I spot welded the hubcaps onto the wheels so that nobody can get them off!!!" I was cracking up! I almost dropped to the ground behind the counter and rolled around! I go "Dude, how are you going to change tires if you get a flat tire?" (now he's all red and embarrased, and says, "oh, I didn't think of that!" DDDDDDDAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNNN! He just turned away, walked out to his car, "tried" to do a burn out and left. We all laughed about that for days!
Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Cheesy

we had a guy that thought you adjusted valves with the engine RUNNING! he even brought us the little paper bag mask he made to wear while adjusting. No joke.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 01:08:29 am »

Being Stupid 101

Oh that's a good one!  Grin

Rennsurfer

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2010, 02:19:37 am »

we had a guy that thought you adjusted valves with the engine RUNNING! he even brought us the little paper bag mask he made to wear while adjusting. No joke.

Dude.

~Sarge
low oval
DKK

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2010, 11:34:11 am »

I think you should make one up and wear it to bug in  Cheesy Cheesy

"and that's when the cops showed up"
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2010, 12:01:13 pm »

Probably a former Chevrolet guy.  That's how Corvairs are done, believe it or not.  They sell valve covers with the middle cut out to make the job "slightly" less messy.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: