The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 20:44:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  My cars current progress
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: My cars current progress  (Read 10142 times)
ApeLatex
« on: March 10, 2008, 22:23:20 pm »

Right now I'm taking a break from getting my car to tip top performance before I start racing again..
Here is what I'm currently doing to it..

Replace both side control arms, both axles, exhaust manifold, valve cover gasket, serpentine belt, high pressure power steering hose, serpentine belt tensioner, tranny mount, engine mount, p/s belt, and installed a Stop Tech BBK.

Muahahah. All I need to do now is get some new tires, align the bastard and I'm ready to go.

I don't have an aircooled right now..but close enough..It's a Corrado G60. Kinda wacky, like the owner.

I had to do the brake upgrade because I was getting brake fade after 3 minutes at the track. WTF!!!
VW!! Help me out!

Here are some pics of the little monster.
First one is the first auto x it ever ran.. I was using tape for my numbers as you can see.

2nd pic is of the corrado when I first got it and it's been repainted since. But the plate was demolished when I was in a 5 car collision on the freeway. I still have the plate. They shut down highway 80 and I walked in the middle of the freeway picked up the parts that had fallen off my car....they don't exist anymore!!!!

3rd pic was at a car meet down in Santa Clara. I didnt' want to go but apparently people with Corrados want other cars to show up that are shittier so they can trophy.

4th pic was right after it was repainted.

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 23:34:31 pm »

Isnt this a callook forum???
Haha,nice car dude,have a g60 myself Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Sam K

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 02:00:56 am »

Sweet car! I've always sort of wanted a VR6 Corrado. Ive had a couple GTI's and an A4, but a Corrado hasn't come my way at the right time yet. Someday perhaps.....
ApeLatex
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:30:42 am »

Yes this is a Cal Look forum....yeah I own a Corrado....
but let's look at it this way....
When I lived in NYC I never thought in a million years I'd own a car let alone obtain my drivers license.
That is something that would've never come true unless I moved to California.
So while I don't have a nice old school car like the other people on here I do love VW's and the whole California car culture that I've been exposed to since living out here.
I'm also very into American muscle cars and old school hot rods.
My other cars are a 1968 Chevelle SS and a 1971 Hemi Cuda.
The Cuda is damn near useless to me, yes I will post pics after I do a detail on it. Both were my fathers cars and he was very into drag racing. If you see my avatar that is my family crest so you can guess what family I come from...(put on your glasses folks)
The Cuda is useless to me because my father, in some drunken midwest fashion, stripped it out completely except for a racing seat and he stuck some aftermarket blower on it.
I couldn't get nearly what it's worth if I tried to sell it.
It's in storage right now and I take it out from time to time just to run it I can't take it very far at all cause it's on slicks....basically- I'd have to sell the car to buy new tires for it since I'm not working right now..
The Chevelle is nice has a 454 in it and it makes for a good street car...When the Corrado is running poorly they make the same mileage..sad.

As much as I love these cars it's really not reaslistic for me to make either of them a street car.
Do you like parking your vintage American cars on the street in West Oakland right up the street from the worst public highschool in California?
I didn't think so.

I'm probably going to be purchasing a 20th anniversary edition GTI this week. Found one with 30k on it and I need something a bit safer than the Corrado because I drive my fiances son to school from time to time....Obviously the Corrado isn't going to crash well.
I had one very unlucky slow speed crash and the car was really fucked up.

Oh well. Suppose I should get back to my dinner..but you guys are more fun.

Please no bashing the cars. I don't really want them but they're all I have left from my dad. Hard to sell someone elses treasure.
Sam K

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 04:17:50 am »

Sound like you have quite the diverse collection! My other "keeper" car (in addition to my bug) is a '68 Camaro SS350 that I've had for about 11 years and was my Daily driver even in the snow until I bought a WRX a couple years ago. I still drive it a lot when the weather decent. Eveything else comes and goes. Right now, I also have an '89 Mustang LX thatruns mid to high 1-0's in quarter mile and still drives to the track and back. I jointly own a '74 Thing with my fiance as well, but it's more or less her car. I just get to work on it when it breaks.  Grin
ApeLatex
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:21:58 am »

I'd really love to own a VW Thing but I'd like to live somewhere I could really enjoy it.
Somewhere a little sunnier and somewhere people wouldn't rip a hole in the canvas top just because "they can".

I had Mustang for awhile that I was trying to prep for the Camaro Mustang challenge. Unfortunately we didn't get it done in time and my co driver was a good foot taller than me and the seat was permanently in place.
I used to drive it sitting on phone books and with it was not easily with the bizarre race clutch I'd installed.
Driving became a new form of a work out...just to get to the store.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 05:07:51 am »

We support automotive diversity on the lounge... Besides my VWs I have a '26 T Roadster, an '85 SVO Mustang and my DD is a '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

But we should move this to Off Topic  Wink

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
ApeLatex
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:10:27 am »

I don't think I have the capability to move things but if you want to that's cool. I'll know where to find it!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 05:13:12 am »

Only Mods wield such power! Not us lowly peasants.  Smiley

By the way... nice cars!

ApeLatex
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 05:15:56 am »

I'm jealous of their powers.
It's like being a room with Chuck Norris. Awe inspiring.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 05:17:43 am »

Yes their powers are great and their yaks are strong!  Grin Grin Grin

ApeLatex
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2008, 05:22:53 am »

I can't believe that nobody called me out on the group photo above with me and all of the other Corrado owners.
I'm the doofus holding the Hello Kitty backpack. Pretty manly. Shit.
Seriously, it was the only thing I had to hold stuff in at the time. I didn't even own a purse, just the wonky back pack.

"The Short Bus- Where everyseat is the backseat"
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 05:27:54 am »

I can't believe that nobody called me out on the group photo above with me and all of the other Corrado owners.
I'm the doofus holding the Hello Kitty backpack. Pretty manly. Shit.
Seriously, it was the only thing I had to hold stuff in at the time. I didn't even own a purse, just the wonky back pack.

"The Short Bus- Where everyseat is the backseat"

Picked ya out but I couldn't see the hello kitty BP. I snapped my glasses last Friday and I'm waiting for replacements so the details escape me.

ApeLatex
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 05:32:01 am »

Sorry to hear about your glasses. I was lucky enough to be born with perfect vision. I've lost of hearing in my right ear over the years from being a jack ass and not wearing ear plugs at concerts and races.
I'm supposed to wear a hearing aid in that ear but it's not bad enough that I can't make due without it.....the last one I had got ruined when I dove into a pool still wearing it. Oops.
Fuck it. I can hear what I want to without it.....
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 05:37:50 am »

I was born with perfect vision and kept it until a couple of years ago... pisses me off always having to grab glasses to read & see details,

ApeLatex
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 05:40:32 am »

It might make ugly chicks hotter? Like natural beer goggles. So it's got it's perks.
This is official off topic.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 05:48:25 am »

Naw, keep it here. But you do seem to be the Queen of Off Topic Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 05:51:31 am »

It might make ugly chicks hotter? Like natural beer goggles. So it's got it's perks.
This is official off topic.

Nope.... once it's past arms length my vision is fine!

ApeLatex
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 05:53:50 am »

Naw, keep it here. But you do seem to be the Queen of Off Topic Smiley

I've never been the Queen of anything so this is pretty sweet. I'm gonna linger in it for awhile...until Jim starts posting again.
I think between mullets, double wides and acid wash jeans he's scarred.
LuftsickTero

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 12:20:27 pm »

Isnt this a callook forum???

That's what I thought too.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
ApeLatex
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2008, 19:00:07 pm »

no love....
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 08:14:13 am »

ApeLatex
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 18:10:45 pm »

When's the wedding?
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 18:15:41 pm »

What will the missus say about this Rob? sheeesh   Grin Grin
ApeLatex
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 18:17:59 pm »

No one has to know. Ha.
And speaking of this missus...I need to find a way to explain this to my fiance before I end up with two black eyes!
(Ding dang! He already told me once!)
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 11:06:36 am »

doh , i thought you could just eat them real quick Smiley

used to love them.

Yes Rune dont tell my Mrs when you meet her at Bug in  Roll Eyes shes south african and can kick my ass Smiley
ApeLatex
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 22:34:58 pm »

Here's a fun update.

I've got 2 broken studs stuck in my car and now have to remove the intake manifold to get them out..fuck.
1 broken bolt in the subframe which now needs to be dropped.
And I still haven't pegged where my boost leak is coming from.
Days like this is sure would be nice to have a nice new car where shit isn't breaking left and right.
I have to remind myself though that a lot of this stuff hasn't even been tinkered with since it left the factory in '91 so yeah shit's gonna break.

Ugh. At least there is an F1 race to watch on Saturday.
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 22:45:02 pm »

Here's a fun update.

I've got 2 broken studs stuck in my car and now have to remove the intake manifold to get them out..fuck.
1 broken bolt in the subframe which now needs to be dropped.
And I still haven't pegged where my boost leak is coming from.
Days like this is sure would be nice to have a nice new car where shit isn't breaking left and right.
I have to remind myself though that a lot of this stuff hasn't even been tinkered with since it left the factory in '91 so yeah shit's gonna break.

Ugh. At least there is an F1 race to watch on Saturday.

Have you tried the soapy spray bottle trick to find the boost leak??

ApeLatex
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 22:53:25 pm »

I'm not even there yet. I've gotta get everything else in order before I get to that point.
I still have to finish up with suspension, exhaust issue, serpentine belt before I'm ready to go there.
Luckily I have some really nice helpful people on my side to aid me with the things I can't do alone.
Bless their little hearts...but this car is really testing some of the most patient VW loving people I know.

I suppose it wasn't funny 4 years ago when I nicknamed my car "Corroded" since it's becoming a truth each day that goes on.
I'll tell you what, working on an air cooled was so much easier for me, dammit. At least when shit broke I could pull something out of my ass for a quick fix. This car is driving some of the people held in highest regards locally out of their minds.
I compensate people for work that I can't do myself, I never argue about money----it's like trying to negotiate the price of a tattoo. You get what you pay for....but I'm really pissed that the car is being fussy.
And I don't have a 2nd car to boot so I've been stuck in the house for a week now.
 Cry
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 23:00:22 pm »

I'm not even there yet. I've gotta get everything else in order before I get to that point.
I still have to finish up with suspension, exhaust issue, serpentine belt before I'm ready to go there.
Luckily I have some really nice helpful people on my side to aid me with the things I can't do alone.
Bless their little hearts...but this car is really testing some of the most patient VW loving people I know.

I suppose it wasn't funny 4 years ago when I nicknamed my car "Corroded" since it's becoming a truth each day that goes on.
I'll tell you what, working on an air cooled was so much easier for me, dammit. At least when shit broke I could pull something out of my ass for a quick fix. This car is driving some of the people held in highest regards locally out of their minds.
I compensate people for work that I can't do myself, I never argue about money----it's like trying to negotiate the price of a tattoo. You get what you pay for....but I'm really pissed that the car is being fussy.
And I don't have a 2nd car to boot so I've been stuck in the house for a week now.
 Cry

Oh that gets old fast!

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: