The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 00:39:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350782 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  How I become the owner of my current car....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How I become the owner of my current car....  (Read 2374 times)
ApeLatex
« on: March 15, 2008, 03:26:58 am »

Here it is..How my Corrado came to be mine and how the VW obsession began...

In 2003 I was a college student, broke, working full time and taking the shame train to and from---rarely time to get my school work done.
A very close friend of mine had just purchased a new car...for him.
A 1995 BMW M3 in Avus blue. His father (very wealthy family) bought it for him because the little red car (the corrado) that he got a few years ago was apparently not good enough for him.
I remember when he first got the Corrado. He emailed me a bunch of pictures of it and me, not knowing much about cars at the time I thought it was a DeLorean or some wierd car that looked smushed up.
His family knew I was struggling to save money to buy my own car but I kept getting set back with school expenses etc.
And everyday I saw the Corrado parked in what seemed to be it's last resting place outside of his house up in the Berkeley Hills.

One night during dinner at his house (I was pretty much adopted into the family) his dad told me he wanted to give me something and slid the keys across the table...My first car!!!! Holy Shit!!!
He warned me to sell it and buy something more reliable. I agreed.

I knew I'd have to get the car smogged and all that jazz. Keep in mind the car sat for 2 years....
One day I decided to get everything in motion so we jumped the car...started right up!!!
I changed the oil, spark plugs, air filter, and replaced a flange that had been leaking.. Hurrah...
I washed and waxed it, vacuumed out the interior and really made it look awesome.

I put an advert on Craigslist and scheduled a few people to come and look at the car to sell it.
Turns out everytime someone came by to test drive it I'd tell them it was really fucked up.
I'd become attached. I even ended up inviting this one kid inside and ordered a pizza for him cause he drove so far to see it.

Fast forward a few years.
In August of 2007 my friend who gave me the Corrado was involved in a near fatal car crash in the Berkeley Hills.
He and a friend were in his M3 driving up Centennial and the M3 went down a 75 foot ravine and landed into a tree.
It took 2 hours to get the passenger out and 3 hours to get my friend Caleb out.
The sedan became a convertible because they had to cut the roof off.

If it weren't for the way the M3 was built I don't think my friend would still be here, which is one of the only reasons I want to drive another one of those.

Imagine if he'd kept the little red Corrado and had the same accident...I think I'd be telling a very different story.

Well, there you have it. The story of the little car that could, couldn't, and sometimes doesn't want to.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 03:46:45 am by McLovin » Logged
ApeLatex
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 03:38:48 am »

Forgive me, the accident was in July

http://www.ktvu.com/video/13737582/index.html

It was all over the news.
stealth67vw

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 03:51:43 am »

Not to get "Off Topic" Wink but man that Glenn Hartzheim guy is looking old. I haven't seen one of his commercials since I moved from the Bay Area (Hayweird) 5 years ago.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
ApeLatex
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:56:42 am »

That commercial spooked me as well. I wasn't ready to see that guys mug on my computer screen.
Sheesh!
Back in Chicago we had the 588-2300 EMPIRE!! carpet guy.. I miss those.
I do get WGN with Comcast so I can tune in to Bozo the clown on Saturday mornings and watch local Chicago news.
I do miss NYC channels. We had NY1. All New York news, all the time. It was awesome.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: