The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 12:07:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  "Make it fifty"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Make it fifty"  (Read 3878 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: March 18, 2015, 06:08:26 am »

Just got off the phone with a VW buddy from 25 years ago. We both still have the cars we had back then. Maybe we're stupid for that. Maybe not.
Anyway, being 20-something and having few responsibilities, and ample time, what other esteemed product could stem from such a recipe....  other than trouble.

Aw, we weren't that bad.

His car back then was a clean '68 or '69 (think it was swingaxle, so '68) with 2.0L 914 mags and custom paint and a pretty ferocious 2276, 12.5-13:1, big HO heads, FK89, 48IDAs and a mag. Sounds like your common street motor now a days, but this was 1992. Most of us were struggling to make baby Dells run right.

Then we had another friend, '74 Super Bug, 1915cc, built in one evening consisting of hot Pleasanton CA humidity, mosquito-bites and a coupla cases of Coors. Out of the box 044 Magnums, my old 44IDF's and an Engle 120. An honest, hard working and sensible street motor, but no racer. But according to the owner, it went 11's  Roll Eyes

One week, my friend Sheep and I thought we might put a wrinkle in Mr 1915's pride. We knew our 2276 buddy wasn't afraid to throw down on a Saturday night, provided the location was right (for him). We asked him if he wanted to run "this guy we know with a 1915". He didn't quite get it. When we further explained why, he was game. We said "Just tell him you have an 1835"

So Saturday night comes around, and we meet at Unnamed Industrial Dark Street at 11:00pm or whatever.. Mr 1915 was early, made sure to bring his lucky rabbitfoot and everything. We were trying hard not to laugh. Our race gas buddy shows up in a cacophony of 48's and cam gears. Mr 1915 isn't phased. Doesn't even look in the direction of the car. (really dude?).
Greetings are exchanged, cars are looked over, snickers, wink wink. Mr 1915, in his trademark Bakersfield drawl, asks "whatch y'all runnin under that there decklid", and our friend says, completely wiseguy... "1835 and 120 Engle" (more snickers), and he asks "$25 bucks cool?"... and Mr 1915 squints, adjusts his jaw, looks at the racegas, 48IDA, mag motor and says "make it fifty"

It never was a race. The '68 just picked itself up and threw itself forward leaving nothing but a wake of exhaust and intake bellow for the '74 to drown in. After all the laughs and secrecy, I have to admit, I felt bad.

These were good times. There was no internet to rely on for involvement. You bought your parts from a grouchy old man with work-hardened language and no patience. You knew the shop dog's name and where not to pet it if you didn't want to get snipped at. You didn't mind staying up until 4am in your buddy's cold garage, doing nothing but lying and listening to lies. Parts broke and you accepted it was your fault, so you just bought more- no hard feelings. You learned the hard way.
Best of all, it was fun.
wolfswest

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 10:39:59 am »

Grin epic!

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jeff68

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 13:59:15 pm »

That's a great story! I know a shop still in business like that in Florida, Orlando to be exact....I love that place, I need to make a visit there.
stealth67vw

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:30:30 am »

I miss the Steve Fuss stories.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:14:34 am »

I miss the Steve Fuss stories.

Popper called me last night.... and of course it turned into "Remember that night when.....?"
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 11:21:35 am »

Another one Uncle Jim please  Grin Grin

It's always great to hear stories from you  Wink

It was not that long ago that a "social network" was a friend's place-garage where we meet without any real appointment, just because we wanted to give a hand on some projects or just have a drink (usually, there is always a beer crate somewhere, Orval or Super des Fagnes for me please  Wink )

jpperf

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 18:27:47 pm »

You definitely have a way of telling stories, Jim.  Nicely done!  If I remember right, didn't Steve's car have homemade wooden running boards on it??  Thinking about that night makes it seem like yesterday.  It was one of those classic nights that should have been immortalized by video, but it was way back in the day, I think even a bit earlier than 1992 cause I changed the color in 91 or 92.  To interject on Jim's story, we all know (those of us that know them) Jim and Frank loved to pull pranks.  They didn't discriminate who they would pull them on, so I truly thought that night it was my turn.

Yes I agreed to play a little "dumb" and go along with the idea my motor was an 1835cc and Engle 120.  I too, felt a little bad that I (we) were setting this guy up to take his money when I offered to race for $25.  But after Mr. 1915 looked over my car, asked why I had drag slicks on it (I think I gave a lame excuse like they were off my dad's 5.0 Mustang and my tires were bald!) then looked me in the eyes and blurted out "make it fifty", I immediately looked over at Jim and Frank who were holding back laughing hysterically thinking "is this guy for real?".  I must have had the most classic, perplexed look on my face because the two instigators started busting up!  At this point I was both confused and to be honest, a little nervous.  I am thinking to myself, "this guy probably has a bottle of go-juice hidden or something", so I walk over to Jim and ask him if they are f--ing with me?  Jim looks at me and said no while still laughing.  I still thought it was my turn for a Jim/Frank pranking because 1. they have not pulled a prank on me up to that point, and 2. I admit I was a little cocky back then so I thought it was payback.

Jim swore it was not a trick, and as I walked back to my car Steve asked if we were running them for $50 in kind of a rude/confident manner.  At this point, the part of me (although very small) that felt bad for setting him up turned into a " oh hell no this guy didn't just insult my friendly offer of $25 and bump it to $50, F this guy!"  Now I didn't care if I was the one being set up it was on.....and the rest was history.  I do think it was the last bit of money Steve had, and was a bit sad giving it up but still had to try and make it a positive moment in his eyes because I think he said something like, "he may have won, but he didn't pull the wheels off the ground like I did".  Really dude?Huh

Always fun talking about the old times, Jim!  I look forward to the next round of stories.

Popper         
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 20:34:31 pm »

"he may have won, but he didn't pull the wheels off the ground like I did".  Really dude?Huh

Thems are some good grapes! Just the kind of story to make me want to go open the garage door. Soon as the salt is gone, that is ...

Mike H.

Sven was right.
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 00:44:46 am »

Great story made me reminisce.
Back in the 80's my friends and I who had cal-look cars had a certain "entry greeting call"; if you will when visiting a friends house. Before entering a friends driveway we would first do a fly by at full throttle and "bark" our 48's while passing the house, turn around and then enter his driveway. I swear that sound was so loud you could hear it miles away. We all sort of lived together in the same community in suburbia. We would know just by the sound of the car who was visiting whom or coming over without looking. Crazy times! The smell of gunk, race gas and rubber and the sounds of KROQ. Certainly one of the best times of my life!  Cool
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 00:51:24 am by WCB Hitler's Hot Rod » Logged

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: