The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 16:01:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  The first VW that really blew you away?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The first VW that really blew you away?  (Read 24288 times)
jick

« on: October 19, 2006, 22:07:39 pm »

i went to VW action here in the UK in 1986 when i was 16 years old with a friend in his jeans beetle, there was a swedish (i think) typical 80's looker, it was an oval,pale turquoise, it had a white leather interior, bucket seats, fully chromed engine & was super-detailed....really clean even by todays standards.

i had never ever seen anything like it, it absolutely blew my mind. Grin

anyone else remember this car? or tell us about what car really stopped you in your tracks as a kid (or adult)

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 22:20:45 pm »

Bernard Newbury's ghia not a big fan of them but went i saw this car i think it was 93 for the first time well what can i say.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 22:30:25 pm »

Well for me I must have been in 1992 when I saw Dave Mason's Black Street Warrior in a Super VW Magazine feature about the DKP Club, then followed by the Feature of the Car itself in Volksworld....I haven't see It in real at that Moment but i did know how my Car had to look like...

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Mangokid

"Inhale the world", (in memory of MH)

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 22:59:43 pm »

I choose to not consider magazine features, cause there is no such thing as, well, the real thing.

So, the first car that really blew me away, that one also changed my whole wiew of the term cal-look, hot-vw's and street driven madness. In other words it made me see what i wanted to be when i grew up, it was Pre-Cal's brown split. That car alone, one can say, sort of changed my life cause from then on, there was turning back. Big words, but passion rules guys!

I mean, i was into cal-look before i saw the car, but when i had digested that very first impression nothing would ever be the same. My goal form then on was to build something even hotter, wilder and more wicked, groundbreaking, but to this day, I'm still at the drawing board.

Thanks Paul for the incredible amount of inspiration, and for keeping my passion alive!

To really know the edge and what lies beyond, one must have passed it.
Bad Junker

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 21:35:16 pm »

i went to VW action here in the UK in 1986 when i was 16 years old with a friend in his jeans beetle, there was a swedish (i think) typical 80's looker, it was an oval,pale turquoise, it had a white leather interior, bucket seats, fully chromed engine & was super-detailed....really clean even by todays standards.

i had never ever seen anything like it, it absolutely blew my mind. Grin

anyone else remember this car? or tell us about what car really stopped you in your tracks as a kid (or adult)

Belive it must have been Per Hallgrens blue oval ?   Anyway...

First VW that blew me away was Inch Pincher I and especially II (but mag features doesn´t count) right !
Ok Masons stealth black, and ofcourse Aronsons..... Undecided

Ok, so in a small town in the south of Sweden back in -77, namely Tranås, where Peter Adolfssons chopped -63 sunroofed beetle named "SUICIDE"
as a 14  yr old and, just gotten my first beetle (ruby red -65)  I was totally blown away ! Still get the shakes !

A year or two later I saw (think at the same time as SOB)  the silvergrey Professor -56 beele, turbo Corvairengined......ooooh man,  It slaughtered Detroit V8s all day long  ! !  And many moons later  I found and came to own that big piece history !

Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 22:06:13 pm »

Bernards Ghia before the retrim was the car i wanted.  there was also a blue scandinavian 51 split with crotch coolers in a VW book that I have always wanted.  i still long for a split window with crotch coolers.  When I get round to buying another car, that will be the only acceptable model.  Look what i mean, sort the stance out and yes baby:

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 08:42:28 am by lids_2001 » Logged

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
jick

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 18:50:32 pm »

hey Jonas....

it wasn't Per's car....it was a much much paler color, without the flip front...otherwise yes, very similar.

SOB/RFH

Have fun!!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 21:06:29 pm »

Our own swedish gasser....St Moritz Fashion back in the late 70's doing huge wheelstands made my heart tick and sort of showed the way of my life...........The first looker......Mike Martinez absolutly gourges top chopped early 60 type 1 with a 2110 cc engine toped with 48 IDA....and  Lonnie Reed heads.........I have a total of 4 Hot VW magaxines from that date today it is the best one ever made...... Cool
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 00:00:35 am »

Its not really a Looker but the One on One Fridolin on gas burners that was about a few years ago - I will never forget the first time I saw it at Volksworld Show - It was truely Awsome, The stance, the colour, the wheels , the interior and the fact that it was RHD

Here's a pic after it was sold and fitted with Fuchs it still looks F*"KING  AWSOME  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 22:18:18 pm »

Pete Statt's "Dragon" @ Bug Bash 1987, w/ it's ARPM 2332, IDAs, first gen Superflo heads, 911 fan housing, alloys, mile deep metallic blue paint. There's a post about it here somewhere.
After that it was Jim Kurlinski's green '67 @ Jamboree 1991
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 22:38:33 pm »

That Frid is in Arizona now, sporting two tone paint (added dark green) and it's back on 'burners. I liked it better back then, but it's still a way cool car!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
67worshipper

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 00:10:59 am »

alain ruekens black split window bug.it won europes most beautiful at bug jam 2.just lovely,lovely,lovely! is it still about? this wouldve been 88/89 he was from belgium.

vw hot rod heaven
Cheesepanzer

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 01:51:45 am »

For me it was back when I was only 14 or 15 years old (1978-79) and a friend of my brother stopped by after getting his car running.  Brian Seavers (sp?) was his name and he pulled up in a pretty-much stock looking 1968 sedan.  It sounded different than other VW's, however.  So he pops the decklid and what I saw impressed me.  I saw a clean engine dressed in gloss black paint, Santana pulley, 009 distributor, dual IDF's with Berg linkage.  The exhaust looked different too (I would later know that it was a Fourtuned merged header with dual quiet packs - the cool ones that tucked up high inside the fenders so that the chrome tips pointed slightly downward).

So Brian is telling my brother all of this stuff about the engine and about all I remember was him saying it was a 1776cc and that it had a Berg CW crank.  So after a few minutes Brian has to go and he does one of those classic heavy footed start ups where you hear the Webers bark upon start up.  He gives it a couple of blips of the throttle and slowly starts to pull away and as he turns around he side-steps the clutch and promptly puts the car into a slide and the rear fenderwells begin to billow tire smoke.

From that moment on, I was hooked.  I knew what I had to do just as soon as I could drive.   Grin

62 Beetle (street/strip build)
63 Type 2 Single Cab
Cornpanzers
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 05:14:59 am »

This is easy. The year was early 1968 and I was in first grade. We went to a German car dealer (Porsche/VW). We drove home in a brand new Savannah Beige Type 1 Bug. Been hooked on 'em ever since. Thank God, I still have an 8"x10" picture of  my dad, sister, & me waxing that car that hangs in my front room.  Photo by my mom.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
glenn

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 05:21:51 am »

I grew up 5 miles from Baldwin Motion / Motion Minicar so I saw the Thunderbug many times.

I also knew Joe Aragon of the International Motor Shop who ran Mini Funny III during the 70s and 80s.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Dan Mazur

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2009, 06:20:07 am »

Thank God, I still have an 8"x10" picture of  my dad, sister, & me waxing that car that hangs in my front room.  Photo by my mom.

Scan it and share it!!

Don't worry.  It's mutual.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2009, 09:06:04 am »

Thank God, I still have an 8"x10" picture of  my dad, sister, & me waxing that car that hangs in my front room.  Photo by my mom.

Scan it and share it!!

Schnell!   Cheesy

The car that print in my mind how a VW should be, is Bernard Newburry (again!) Dark lord Oval. I see it for the first time in a super vw mag and later in flesh and bones.
When you see a car that look cool, you always think that you will change something to makes it suit to your taste. Not this one. Just pure perfection. More recently, the Gobi beige ragtop from the Das'twins make me, almost, feel the same.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:08:43 am by j-f » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2009, 11:28:14 am »

alain ruekens black split window bug.it won europes most beautiful at bug jam 2.just lovely,lovely,lovely! is it still about? this wouldve been 88/89 he was from belgium.
the car still exist i saw them maybe one or 2 years ago always  in black with graphics  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
67worshipper

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2009, 11:41:41 am »

well done fabs.not sure if i spelt his name right Roll Eyes got any upto date pics of it or old? yes i remember the graphics.two heartbeat type squiggles through the door bottoms.was it a genuine split or did it have a rear window makeover?

vw hot rod heaven
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 12:00:18 pm »

Its not really a Looker but the One on One Fridolin on gas burners that was about a few years ago - I will never forget the first time I saw it at Volksworld Show - It was truly Awsome, The stance, the colour, the wheels , the interior and the fact that it was RHD

Here's a pic after it was sold and fitted with Fuchs it still looks F*"KING  AWSOME  Smiley

I have just sold the gas burners from this car, I bought them from the guy in Florida who bought the car into the states.

they were collected this morning    Grin

the first car that really blew me away was a mid 60's yellow looker from France doing a burnout in the water box at Bug jam 2.

i think it was the fact that is was a street car and it looked so clean and simple that really stuck in my mind. 

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
Tim C

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2009, 12:08:28 pm »

Ivan's 67... seeing it blat around Surrey in the mid-90's was always a treat. A truly special car.

JG54 Greenhearts
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2009, 12:13:05 pm »

Keith Goss's 'Chopped' – to own it 20 years later was a dream come true.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2009, 12:21:33 pm »

well done fabs.not sure if i spelt his name right Roll Eyes got any upto date pics of it or old? yes i remember the graphics.two heartbeat type squiggles through the door bottoms.was it a genuine split or did it have a rear window makeover?
no it was a late model with fiberglass split windows , i hope that the car still sit  in the bodyshop lat time i saw him  he the car was there i will take picture

and soon as i found picture of alain's car i will post them  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Tim C

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2009, 12:28:05 pm »

Keith Goss's 'Chopped' – to own it 20 years later was a dream come true.

Seeing that at Guildford Ladymead was always pretty cool - not quite The Dairy Queen was it though what with Burger King, Homebase and Halfords  Cheesy

I have some pics of those nights at Ladymead somewhere, the Choptop, Ivan's 67 and others... will try and find them.

JG54 Greenhearts
67worshipper

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2009, 13:34:11 pm »

you forgot to say you drove it as well tim.very cool car indeed Cool

vw hot rod heaven
Tim C

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2009, 13:43:11 pm »

you forgot to say you drove it as well tim.very cool car indeed Cool

Indeed - was an excellent weekend with that car, apart from the traffic on the way home from the Pod...   Cheesy

In fact the black ragtop in the above pic was another car that "did it for me" when I first saw it (97?) and Neal does it proud to this day...  Cool

JG54 Greenhearts
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2009, 17:44:18 pm »

Bergler

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Hotrodvw

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2009, 18:00:30 pm »

Bergler

--louis

Yup....  I saw this car come in to the gas station I worked at in HS.  I talked to Gary about it....I was hooked, had to have one!   Cool

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2009, 18:11:19 pm »

Mark Thurbers brown metallic og DKP car parked right next door to my house for about a year when I was 15.

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 19:08:14 pm »

Mark Thurbers brown metallic og DKP car parked right next door to my house for about a year when I was 15.

Respectable amounts of WIN detected in that statement.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: