The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 07:11:36 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350756 Posts in 28586 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  "Turbo Bob" Hemphill's car
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: "Turbo Bob" Hemphill's car  (Read 5487 times)
Sam K

« on: January 03, 2009, 02:57:46 am »

I know it may not be Cal-look in the purest sense, but I have always had a lot of respect for that car and of course it's owner. It's a pretty casual looking bug considering how quick it is. I had the chance to speak with Bob in Phoenix a few years ago and he told me that he drives it on the street regularly and drives it to the track whenever possible. I've never seen a magazine feature on it. Does anybody have any more info or stories they would like to share?
Gary Justus

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 03:13:15 am »

Bob is A great guy...car is (and has been) a "real" and "hard" runner. He's also an inspiration>
Mike Lawless

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:59:40 am »

I think in the spring of "04, we were on our way to our first Super Gas race at Phoenix. For us, it's a 12 hour tow. On this occasion to avoid southern california traffic, we decided to over the Tehachapi Mountains to the east of Bakersfield, then go through Victorville, then east on I-10. As we passed through Victorville, I said to Cindy "Hey! Bob Hemphill lives here!"

I kid you not, not two minutes later, he comes zipping around us driving his red 69, full of tires and tools, with all the numbers on the windows, smiles and waves, and head for phoenix. Seems his truck was in the shop or something and didn't want to miss the race.

He drives to Phoenix, some 350 miles, races, drives home. Gods honest truth. If you see him, ask him about it

That my friends, is one bad ass street car!

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Donny B.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 17:43:12 pm »

Was that the time you allowed me to baby sit your Ghia Mike?  I remember Bob dropped by my barbecue the day after the show and sure enough he had the slicks parked where the passenger seat would normally be.  He is a really neat guy.  Pretty cool driving that car all the way to Phoenix to race then driving it home.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Hotrodvw

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 17:47:41 pm »

Ha ha...........that's awesome.  So, where are the pics of this so-called car anyway??   Grin

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Sam K

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 00:15:53 am »

I have a ton of pictures of it but they were taken before I had a digital camera, so here is the only picture that I have on my computer. I believe it's from Vegas '06. I need to get one of those scanner thingies.
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 03:47:26 am »

He is a cool guy, too! The first race I took my '67 to when I was 18 years old I raced against Bob. Back then he had the 2165 n/a motor, and he waxed me good in the semi finals Smiley I don't believe he dirives it on the street as much as he used to since he had to install the spool, but I'm sure it still sees a few street miles. Wicked cool car for sure, and he is always willing to chat and answer questions. I took this at Vegas in '06 as well.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Vince W.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 04:59:33 am »

There is some info here http://www.turbobobefi.com/ but it is pretty dated.
Hotrodvw

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 07:28:02 am »

That's a sweet lookin' car.  All business!   Shocked

Hose & Fittings

'67 Sunroof

www.ultimateaircooled.com
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 19:15:58 pm »

That's a sweet lookin' car.  All business!   Shocked

And "well thought out" is about the biggest understatement you can make!

Dave Galassi

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 16:29:55 pm »

I can spin a yarn or two on that car..........

Berg Rally, mid 80's (can't remember the exact year) and Ray Walker and I meet up with his friend "Bob" to run the rally.  He pulls up in that car, and I think to myself, "why didn't we take my car or Ray's oval instead of this run of the mill late model?"  Nice guy, though................

We pull away from Berg's and Bob presses the go pedal (remember there are three of us in the car) and signs his tread pattern on the pavement.  O.K!  He jumped on that thing all through the rally and it never skipped a beat.  Now, at that time it was carbed, not turbo injected, and even then it was evident that Bob was meticulous about how he kept the car in tune.

Fast forward to 1999, and I am looking for some DCNF's.  Ray says, "hey, call Bob, you remember him, right?"  How could I forget?  I end up driving to his house in the high desert and buy the carbs.  He goes on to tell me he is getting rid of all his carburetors and parts...................

Now, remember, Bob lives in the high desert, and drove that thing DAILY to work, down the Cajon Pass and to Cable Airport in Upland.  45 miles each way, and a big time hill going home.  He used to post some interesting stories of things that would happen on his commute, in particular a couple of freeway altercations with "fast" cars.  Sleeper.

I find it also interesting that it is blowing through a factory FI center section (or at least it was).  Like breathing through a straw!

A lot like Allen Wiess (and many other racers for that matter).  Lots of tune time to run that well and with the consistency.  Gentleman racers.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 16:38:52 pm »

other picture  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 16:40:47 pm »

this car is very similar , but i suppose that'snt turbo bob Huh there's the chrome trim on this car Huh

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 17:27:31 pm »

Similar, but very different Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 17:31:38 pm »

Similar, but very different Wink
ok zach  Wink

Mike Lawless

« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 18:07:58 pm »

Was that the time you allowed me to baby sit your Ghia Mike?  I remember Bob dropped by my barbecue the day after the show and sure enough he had the slicks parked where the passenger seat would normally be.  He is a really neat guy.  Pretty cool driving that car all the way to Phoenix to race then driving it home.

Yep Donny. That was the time. Good times!

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Brian Silva

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 05:50:28 am »

I have seen Bobs car race in person and that car is truly amazing. Tuned to perfection and driven to the track.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 06:05:35 am »

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
ESH

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 17:09:50 pm »

Cool car, these are from Sac... Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: