The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 14:55:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350737 Posts in 28583 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  To race axel? or not to race axel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: To race axel? or not to race axel?  (Read 2216 times)
pamo

« on: September 28, 2014, 22:38:22 pm »

Hey guys just wondering if I should run a set of billet race axels or just run the original 36hp ones?
It's a 63 beetle running a 2276 IDA engine, should be around 180 rear wheel hp. I am planning on running M+H racemasters, mainly steet driven. May see the strip once or twice just to see what it will run on the 1/4.
leec

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 23:09:27 pm »

Yep, do it before you put it all in the car. They will break
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 01:20:42 am »

Agree...   If you opt for not running slicks you may get some longevity from your axles if you polish the spades as well as the axle itself to help minimize stress fractures. Good Luck..!!
pamo

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 13:02:07 pm »

Thanks for your help guys. I was leaning that way anyway, but just wanted to confirm with someone who has done it before.
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 13:22:51 pm »

Sometime in the 40-horse years Volkswagen increased the axle diameter. They're a lot stronger than the earlier axles and if you remove the stress risers by polishing the spade end as Don mentioned they're quite strong.

I do not know how they will stand up to slicks but someone who can drive a car out properly can make them last a long time. 

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: