The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 00:46:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Lickity Split
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: Lickity Split  (Read 147284 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2015, 00:55:39 am »

Looks like a nice piece.

I'm a little out of the loop so, what's with the added bit around the pushrod tube holes? Roller rockers?
Why aren't there provisions for an oil cooler on a 4" case?

Looking forward to your build/feedback!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
hotstreetvw

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2015, 01:47:26 am »

Lifters (roller) are installed from the outside along with the guide bars, then the plate is bolted over the top for the pushrod tubes.  I guess when going 4", there are a few oil passages that can't be drilled.  I've read on CB modified cases the require welding the passages up.
hotstreetvw

« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2015, 01:51:40 am »

Here is a picture of the oil galleys, stolen from JayCee's website.  Buy something from them, they have great products and customers service.

I think it's the middle passage between the cylinders that gets in the way of the studs.
richie

« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2015, 02:00:36 am »

When I had a CB case converted to 4inch an ally rod was pushed down that oil gallery from cooler down then welded in place as when the bore it opened up it cuts into it, then if you have 6 stud the top stud near oil light switch hole actually is in oil gallery so needs to be welded up to give stud something to fix into

cheers Richie 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
hotstreetvw

« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2015, 02:16:14 am »

Richie, I saw the Facebook post, what head studs are you using? I'm going to need a set here quickly.

Thanks,
Will
richie

« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2015, 02:36:47 am »

Richie, I saw the Facebook post, what head studs are you using? I'm going to need a set here quickly.

Thanks,
Will

Pm Wink

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
hotstreetvw

« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2015, 02:49:37 am »

Thanks Richie.
hotstreetvw

« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2015, 03:59:04 am »

I was doing  research on pistons and cylinders and ran across this thread.  This used to be a cal-look.no, it was BA then, only getting faster.
Soon to be a BAMF
http://oldschool.co.nz/2011/forum/index.php?/topic/39148-sluggys-59-stripstreet-vw/
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2015, 12:05:24 pm »

Lifters, right! Too much beer before that last post Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Stripped66

« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2015, 21:21:03 pm »

Very awesome build, Billy!
hotstreetvw

« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2015, 02:12:59 am »

Thanks.  There are so many cool cars on this sight for inspiration.
hotstreetvw

« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2015, 03:23:29 am »

Today while traveling for work, I was able to make a pit stop in to check out the Kustom Coach Werks shop in Grand Junction, Colorado.  Pretty cool little compound.  Landed a L81 Army long sleeve T.  I'm going to consider these guys when it comes to painting the split.  They know these cars about as well as anyone in this part of the country.
hotstreetvw

« Reply #132 on: November 12, 2015, 05:14:09 am »

Found this picture on my phone from when I assembled the 2275.

AJ hand ported.  I thought they were a little bigger, more like a ultra mag*, but definitely look small.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 02:25:09 am by hotstreetvw » Logged
hotstreetvw

« Reply #133 on: November 24, 2015, 06:26:26 am »

Goof'n around out in the shop.  A little low budget, "sweep the floor" turbo action.

Picked this garret up for $200.  T04E/T3, 50 trim with .82 turbine housing.  Local guy had it on his Eagle Talon, made 370hp, sold to step up to more power.  

Speedway has a good deal on 1-5/8" mandrel bends.  Combination bend, includes a U-bend and also J-bend for $12.99.  Spend $100 and free shipping.  $104 to the door for 8 bends, plenty to build this sort of header.  Hand build merged collector, I used my tube notcher on full tilt.  CB flanges, 1/2" t3 flange.  Talon guy threw in a 5bolt turbine housing flange and also a .48 turbine housing.

3/4 side is finished, #2 pipe is close.  Should be done tomorrow.  Header is built on my 2275 long block, which should be the same width as the STF engine.  It's a tough fit under the apron with the 1" trans raise.  I'm going to need to be creative with the full flow fittings.

I'll get it finished tomorrow and post some pictures off the car.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 18:05:45 pm by hotstreetvw » Logged
hotstreetvw

« Reply #134 on: November 24, 2015, 06:34:46 am »

Double post
hotstreetvw

« Reply #135 on: November 25, 2015, 01:08:00 am »

Needs a waste gate now.  This would have been way easier with a true merged collector.  If I get the itch on the 4" motor a merged collector with v-bands to the turbo and between pipes would be the way to go.

Chip

« Reply #136 on: November 25, 2015, 02:51:19 am »

I wish I had your fab skills! That should wake that car up for next season! 
hotstreetvw

« Reply #137 on: November 25, 2015, 04:28:16 am »

Chip,
Your running mega squirt?  What version?  I ran MS1 back in the day, 2004-2006, sold all my stuff to MarioV way back.  It's a little overwhelming with ms1/ms2/ms3 expansion cards daughter cards, gee wiz.

I have some injection stuff to put to use but I need a controller.

Maybe I can play with the USW cars in Vegas next year
Chip

« Reply #138 on: November 25, 2015, 05:32:10 am »

MS3-Pro for me.  I had an MS3/MS3x previously but swithed to this system because of the better plugs and such.  Its a much nicer package than the build it yourself setups, though those work just fine as well.  The aluminum box styles have come a long way from where they were when you were playing with it a decade ago. The different daughter card options allow you to grow with your system.  I prefer to jump in with both feet and have generally bought the latest and greatest they have to offer. 
The system is pretty robust at this point.  It is doing everything...sequential spark and fuel, boost control, fancy water/meth system, oil cooler and radiator fans, intercooler pump, flex fuel, 2 step, 3 step, line lock, shift lights, speed sensors allowing for traction control potential, etc etc... Hopefully you get the idea.  EFI is a fun way to play.  There is a learning curve, but it is worth it in my eyes. 

USW was a blast!  I hope to do it again next year, hopefully in a better state of tune  Wink

You should haul that thing to SLC in June or July for the MSVWRA race here.  Would be fun to line up together!
hotstreetvw

« Reply #139 on: November 25, 2015, 05:47:49 am »

I was planning on hitting the mountain states races, although the SLC race is a drive.  We didn't make any this year due to not having the car ready.  I planned on making grand junction but it was on a Friday and my boss came into town.  I think I've convinced the wife on the msvwra action and the Vegas race for next year.  We will see.

I guess all the features of MS3X are what makes it overwhelming, but so tempting.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #140 on: November 25, 2015, 09:15:12 am »

Needs a waste gate now.  This would have been way easier with a true merged collector.  If I get the itch on the 4" motor a merged collector with v-bands to the turbo and between pipes would be the way to go.

Very similar to my exhaust! Pay attention to where you place your WG with regards to boost control/exhaust flow. Also pay attention to the oil return when you have the turbo mounted low.

My old Holset turbo:

With my current Precision turbo. Picture is borrowed from Wally. Here you can also see that I modified the oil return compared to the pictures above. Together with restricting the oil flow it really helped.

-BB-
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 09:19:21 am by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Chip

« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2015, 14:38:35 pm »

BB Do you have any better photos of the piece of tin that is isolating your air filter from header. That's a great idea! I have a very similar header as well and hate the oil line routing options. My filter its on the right side as well.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2015, 14:46:00 pm »

BB Do you have any better photos of the piece of tin that is isolating your air filter from header. That's a great idea! I have a very similar header as well and hate the oil line routing options. My filter its on the right side as well.

I can take detailed pictures of it later Chip since it is currently mounted on the car. It was a 30 minute job with a paper model before I cut and bent a metal plate followed by a simple paint job. I mount is using the original sheet metal threaded nuts.

-BB-

hotstreetvw

« Reply #143 on: November 25, 2015, 20:06:35 pm »

Awesome setup BB.  The turbo  inlet is very close to the pulley!  I'm in a similar situation.  I was looking at doing a slight bend with a silicon connector to pull it away, then straighten back out.  Your oil lines are also very tight.  What are you using to protect the lines from the heat?

Thanks for your feedback.
Chip

« Reply #144 on: November 25, 2015, 20:37:04 pm »

I can take detailed pictures of it later Chip since it is currently mounted on the car. It was a 30 minute job with a paper model before I cut and bent a metal plate followed by a simple paint job. I mount is using the original sheet metal threaded nuts.

-BB-
I appreciate it!
hotstreetvw

« Reply #145 on: November 25, 2015, 21:03:11 pm »

Chip. I found your thread on STF.  Nice setup.  You have some skills yourself!

I'm trying to wrap my head around the induction.  I'd like to get this setup together, but have room for growth with the 4"  engine if I change direction.  Is pretty much everyone against individual throttle bodies with a turbo?

Right now I have (4) 60lb/hr short injectors. Aeromotive pump and regulator..  If I ran my current IDF/Dell manifolds, with throttle bodies I could use the injectors in the body and blow through with a turbo "hat ".  I could then upgrade on the 4" engine with same induction, with the addition of 4 more injectors in the manifolds.

I'm a fan of using the cast manifold at the head.  Much easier to match the head port.

I understand single is the simple route, but does it sacrifice throttle response?  As the throttle opens, the "plenum" fills with atmospheric pressure and takes time.  With IR, it's atmospheric right above the throttle plates.

I've always though this setup was cool.  I had to screen shot from a old Carlsbad video

Good thing for the holiday, plenty of VW time this week!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 21:06:58 pm by hotstreetvw » Logged
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #146 on: November 25, 2015, 23:02:02 pm »

Awesome setup BB.  The turbo  inlet is very close to the pulley!  I'm in a similar situation.  I was looking at doing a slight bend with a silicon connector to pull it away, then straighten back out.  Your oil lines are also very tight.  What are you using to protect the lines from the heat?

Thanks for your feedback.

That's with my old set up some years ago. I modified the header to be able fit a "E" type compressor housing and that gave me more space. The PE turbo is a lot bigger compared to the Holset one. There is a lot of space behind the engine as long as you do not use a CB hide away exhaust.

-BB-

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2015, 13:23:37 pm »

I've always though this setup was cool.  I had to screen shot from a old Carlsbad video

Looks good and flow "friendly" Nice bends and so on. I believe it is (was) a methanol engine producing 550hp if I remember correctly. I have chosen not to cut my car and so far I have managed to avoid it. My engine is a 1641ccm mouse and it looks like this from the other side:

Inside the 90dg turn in the 3" plenum there is a deep V going into the intercooler in order to improve the airflow/speed. And back to the underside, I`m using a K&N air filter with a 20dg inlet flange angle;

-BB-
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 13:43:13 pm by BeetleBug » Logged

hotstreetvw

« Reply #148 on: November 26, 2015, 17:51:07 pm »

Amazing setup!  Your running dual TBs, what is the throttle response like?  I had just assumed you were running a single (seems so common).

The 1641 has run the 10.41 in your sig?

Is there anyway you could take a picture looking down at the y-pipe going into the throttle body?

I cut my body.  Well, lets say I removed damaged sheet metal and just never replaced it.  That sounds better.  Smiley

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 17:55:18 pm by hotstreetvw » Logged
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #149 on: November 26, 2015, 18:35:05 pm »

Amazing setup!  Your running dual TBs, what is the throttle response like?  I had just assumed you were running a single (seems so common).

The 1641 has run the 10.41 in your sig?

Is there anyway you could take a picture looking down at the y-pipe going into the throttle body?

I cut my body.  Well, lets say I removed damaged sheet metal and just never replaced it.  That sounds better.  Smiley

Thanks. Yes it has run 10.41 - 130mph.

There in no Y pipe at the throttle bodies. It is situated in the "roof" of the T going down the intercooler. Working as a splitter.

-BB-

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: