The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 02:56:41 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350748 Posts in 28584 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Cam-shield Available In The U.K. and Europe!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cam-shield Available In The U.K. and Europe!  (Read 3611 times)
Fasterbrit

OFF#23 - The Fastest Outlaw in the West!

« on: May 21, 2012, 20:22:50 pm »

As you may or may not know, modern oils and even racing oils have had their levels of Zinc reduced over the years to meet with government legislation. Unfortunately, this phenomenon is pretty much world-wide, and its effect on flat tappet cam engines such as Volkswagens, V8s and pretty much every classic car engine out there is enhanced and even acute engine wear. There has been much discussion recently about the merits of Zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate (ZDDP) and its effects as the 'super lubricant'; the primary anti-wear chemistry of any oil. The spate of flat cams that started some 10 years ago has been attributed to the lack of ZDDP in modern oils, but only now in hindsight as people have realised ZDDP's vital importance in high pressure contact zones such as between the cam lobe and the lifter (a.k.a. flat tappet). This is especially important in hot street and racing engines where the valve spring pressure is increased massively to overcome valve float at high rpm.

Modern racing oils have a higher level of ZDDP, but even then most are not suited to VW applications as the level of ZDDP is not sufficient for hotted up aircooled VWs with big valve spring pressure. Typically, fully synthetic racing oils have levels of ZDDP in the region of 1500 (Millers CFS, for example) - 1750 parts per million, whereas a semi-synthetic oil may have as little as 800 parts per million. A typical hot street Bug needs an oil with levels of ZDDP upwards of 2000 parts per million in order for there to be sufficient lubrication at vital stress points. Bear in mind that most modern fully synthetic engine oils are designed for modern engines with overhead cams and valve spring pressures a lot lower than most typical hot VWs...

There are a few companies out there that have realised the connection between excessive engine wear and the diminishing levels of ZDDP,  and have developed a simple ZDDP additive that can be added to any oil, be it mineral or synthetic, to bring the levels of ZDDP to well above racing levels. Cam-shield stands out as the number one product on the market and has been developed in the U.S. to be a simple, cost effective product that enhances the engine life of any classic engine. Until now it has only been available mail order from the States, but a new company has started up in the U.K. called Cam-shield Europe, which is an independent company with the full blessing of Cam-shield in the United States. Cam-shield Europe has been granted European distribution rights and aims to supply companies as well as individuals. For more information and price listings please log on to:
www.cam-shield.eu

Peace out, Keeno

I

9.563 @ 146.25 mph Cal Look Drag Day, Santa Pod, April 2011
OFF#23 OUTLAW FLAT FOUR www.outlawflatfour.com
www.air-kraft.com
www.marcomansiperformance.com
magic

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 00:18:43 am »

Hi All Torque,

Yep, we are a grupe of friends here in Denmark, that has "stuck a finger in the soil".... "listening to the jungle drums" (Danish idioms, directly translated) Cheesy
 So there are currently tried a few different brands ... LAT + another American brand, which of course I've just forgotten, and now it is too late to call someone .... Lips Sealed Undecided
 And now you come with one more... Exciting! Time to read up on the Cam-shield brand! Smiley I myself have been using Castrol Classic XL SAE 20w/50 for some years now, but this season I bought 5l. Miller's classic running in oil 30 (for my new JPM 05 cam. Cool)  and 10l. Miller's classic high performance 15W50 (Fully synthetic (and British Grin)). There is, as you know, just as many opinions about oil as the car owners..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  
 What I like, about Miller's oil, is that they provide ALL information down to the smallest detail on the web. And in my world it's a big +!!! That does not mean that I do not intend trying other brands in the future...

(Qoute from All Torque)
There are a few companies out there that have realised the connection between excessive engine wear and the diminishing levels of ZDDP,  and have developed a simple ZDDP additive that can be added to any oil, be it mineral or synthetic, to bring the levels of ZDDP to well above racing levels. Cam-shield stands out as the number one product on the market and has been developed in the U.S. to be a simple, cost effective product that enhances the engine life of any classic engine.

Just remember that there is a high (And rising) content of "cleaning agents" in modern oils, and they neutralize some of the oil's ZDDP content! ie also to the additive!!!
 It's probably not a big problem ..... but if you have the option it's probably best if you use the right oil. (of which, I obviously know, you are fully aware. For general information only) Grin

Magic.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 00:45:39 am by magic » Logged
magic

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 01:12:36 am »

P.S. Now I remember ...... Brad Penn!  
       Yare Yare ......... It's late dammit..... Angry Grin
       (hmm... has just discovered that the "lounge" is one hour behind where I am Placed!!?.... here it is 2.20 in the morning) Excuses excuses Tongue

Magic.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:34:00 am by magic » Logged
DWL_Puavo

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:09:23 am »

I just poured a shot of camshield in, and camshaft break-in may happen today! Just to make it harder for the oil and additive, I have the famous scat race lifters bought for a couple of years ago. We'll see!

Until now it has only been available mail order from the States, but a new company has started up in the U.K. called Cam-shield Europe, which is an independent company with the full blessing of Cam-shield in the United States. Cam-shield Europe has been granted European distribution rights and aims to supply companies as well as individuals.
One thing nice in EU is that if anyone has the rights to import something into EU, everyone else is also allowed. This is called "parallel import" or "gray import". It's just a matter if the source is willing to sell. Thus it's totally legal for someone to buy a big amount of product from anyone of the resellers anywhere from the world, and then re-sell it in EU. Many of the smaller webshops in EU work this way because importing products is not forbidden from different sources than the official distributor.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:14:09 am by DWL_Puavo » Logged
Torben Alstrup

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 20:44:19 pm »

I stock Cam Shield and ZDDPlus,.... And Brad Penn on the eastern flank  Grin

T
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: