The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 05:11:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350698 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  82 stroke, rod length?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 82 stroke, rod length?  (Read 6282 times)
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« on: December 08, 2008, 20:24:28 pm »

Okay, I just picked up a new 82 stroke, VW journal, forged CB crank for a song. Time to think about rods. H beams or I beams? Length: 5.325, 5.352 (912 length) or 5.4? I am leaning towards the 912 length or the 5.325 length.

Rest of the motor will be:
44x37 Denham heads
48 IDAs
94 cimas
FK-45 cam

Mostly street miles, some track.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks,

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 20:32:46 pm »

I didn't think you could get a VW journal rod in anything shorter than stock length (5.4", 137mm)?? And I thought the 5.325" was only avaliable in Chevy rod journal? Either way, get H beams. The shorter the better Cool

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 20:38:28 pm »

Here's one from a week or so ago:  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7425.0.html  Short, but some good info.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 20:42:58 pm »

I didn't think you could get a VW journal rod in anything shorter than stock length (5.4", 137mm)?? And I thought the 5.325" was only avaliable in Chevy rod journal? Either way, get H beams. The shorter the better Cool

CB makes a 5.325 VW journal H beam:
http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=152

I think Bugpack has a (12 length rod in VW journal as well but they are not cheap.

Here's one from a week or so ago:  http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7425.0.html  Short, but some good info.

Thanks, I will check it out.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2008, 20:44:32 pm »

Yeah I don't want to go with a longer rod than 5.4. Ease of assembly is not my top concern.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 20:55:32 pm »

Good thing ease of assembly isn't a top concern. Personally, 82mm VW journal cranks have been a bitch. Rod caps have always hit the cams in the motors I put together. You may find you'll need a smaller base circle version of the cam. A few 2276's with VW journal and Eagle H beams clinked the cam upon trial assembly, and yes they were clearanced on the back. I did an 84mm Chevy journ and had "more" room for rods to swing in Danny W.'s 2161

I'd watch "the shorter the better" belief. Yes a low rod ratio does make for a romper stomper motor, but just watch skirt to crank, rod-caps... there is a limit. Remeber you need .040"

5.352 on 82mm seems to always work with big heads and cam. Makes them "think" the motor is bigger than it is.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2008, 21:02:33 pm »

Yeah I don't want to go with a longer rod than 5.4. Ease of assembly is not my top concern.  Grin

--louis

Having posted that, I will say much to Tom's chagrin I insisted on using my RIMCO Super Rods.   Wink  Mark Herbert's engine article on the old CLF really stuck with me.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2008, 21:07:51 pm »

--louis

Having posted that, I will say much to Tom's chagrin I insisted on using my RIMCO Super Rods.   Wink  Mark Herbert's engine article on the old CLF really stuck with me.

Yeah that was a good article.

--louis

Louis Brooks

K-Roc

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 21:51:53 pm »

JUst double check your rod big end to the underside of the oposite piston at BDC.
Donny B.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 22:27:41 pm »

I know someone who is using the 5.325 rod with a VW journal on an 82mm crank.  Zach knows him better than I do.  He runs in the high 12s and drives it on the street or at least he used to.  Zach remember Travis's engine...?

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2008, 22:40:05 pm »

I know someone who is using the 5.325 rod with a VW journal on an 82mm crank.  Zach knows him better than I do.  He runs in the high 12s and drives it on the street or at least he used to.  Zach remember Travis's engine...?

Travis' engine used a Chevy journal crank. But you're right about the 5.325" on an 82, 12.63 was his best time, a true daily driver. He had to clearance the pistons skirts to clear the big end of the rods at BDC. The motor came out narrower than a stock engine, but only 9.1:1 as I remember. He pulled the car apart probably 3 years ago and hasn't driven it since.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
airstuff

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 23:39:41 pm »

Okay, I just picked up a new 82 stroke, VW journal, forged CB crank for a song. Time to think about rods. H beams or I beams? Length: 5.325, 5.352 (912 length) or 5.4? I am leaning towards the 912 length or the 5.325 length.

44x37 Denham heads
48 IDAs
94 cimas
FK-45 cam

Thanks,

--louis

hej louis

this engine is so similar to the engine I have in parts for assembly.The only Difference I would want to use 42x37 mid d ports,and 48 IDF carbs.

I have been searching for the wright answer regarding the rod ration and selection on few forums,and at the end I decided to stay with the 5.4 rod for the street.The piston skirts clear nicely on the crank with the I-beams .I-beams are more trouble clearencing,but they are alot cheaper,and the H-beam rods,they fit in more nicely,but you need to have $240 just for them  Smiley

I-beams are surely good to 7500,and they are strong with those 3/8 rod bolts.

offtopic:

which lifters,pushrods are you using?
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 00:11:52 am »

44x37 Denham heads
48 IDAs
94 cimas
FK-45 cam

Thanks,

--louis

hej louis

this engine is so similar to the engine I have in parts for assembly.The only Difference I would want to use 42x37 mid d ports,and 48 IDF carbs.

I have been searching for the wright answer regarding the rod ration and selection on few forums,and at the end I decided to stay with the 5.4 rod for the street.The piston skirts clear nicely on the crank with the I-beams .I-beams are more trouble clearencing,but they are alot cheaper,and the H-beam rods,they fit in more nicely,but you need to have $240 just for them  Smiley

I-beams are surely good to 7500,and they are strong with those 3/8 rod bolts.

offtopic:

which lifters,pushrods are you using?

Bugpack lifters & Berg 160,000 pushrods.

--louis

Louis Brooks

airstuff

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 10:35:02 am »

forgot to ask the most important queston

which spribgs are you using on those heads?
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 13:54:34 pm »

forgot to ask the most important queston

which spribgs are you using on those heads?

Good question and I don't know. I would have to ask Jeff Denham. The heads are coming ready to bolt on from him.

--louis

Louis Brooks

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 15:13:56 pm »

Well it looks like this is a moot point now as the seller has apparently backed out. With no explanation they gave a partial refund of my money and now won't answer any emails. I have bought hundreds of things on-line and this is the first time I have been screwed. Oh well.  Angry

--louis

Louis Brooks

airstuff

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 17:05:15 pm »

Well it looks like this is a moot point now as the seller has apparently backed out. With no explanation they gave a partial refund of my money and now won't answer any emails. I have bought hundreds of things on-line and this is the first time I have been screwed. Oh well.  Angry

--louis

who were you  buying from?
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 22:27:09 pm »

I posted this on the samba but thought I would like it here so no one else gets burned by this seller:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332833

ovalteen420 - christopher winkowski

Beware of this seller. He had an add up for a CB 82 mm stroker crank which I agreed to purchase. Made payment through PayPal for the amount agreed on through email. Later that day he did a partial refund of my money without any explanation. Now they will not answer any emails and they have not returned the rest of my money.

He uses the following contact information:

lebron.erika@yahoo.com
winksyota@yahoo.com (paypal account)

--louis

Louis Brooks

airstuff

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 12:51:34 pm »

I'm sorry to hear this man.....In our hobby there are guys who would do anything to help us out and sell us good parts,but on the other hand there are some bad people out there..... Angry

If you want a CB crank,get it from VWparts.net.If you need any other crank,I suggest Brothers VW Machine shop. Smiley
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: