The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:32:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350704 Posts in 28580 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Help on powersleeving
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Help on powersleeving  (Read 3649 times)
JIMP

« on: April 27, 2009, 18:25:00 pm »

Hello
as I couldn't find any specific info on powersleeving, I started a new thread and hope for your precious inputs

I have a T1 turbo, will be boosted max at 1,5bar. I will use the std 94mm cima cylinders which I would like to powersleeve to withstand the pressures, their thickness at top is about 3mm, I was opting for another 3mm with the powersleeves, total 6mm -hope they dont interfeere with the studs, at least seems like that by eye- So now comes your help, would you consider to install a simple 3mm sleeve besides the existing cylinder, or you would consider better to make a "Γ" shape sleeve so as all the 6mm mating to the head are consisted of one and only material? In any way of the above, how much the interfeerence tolerance between the two should be so as not to damage the cylinder to the pressing? Could I just heat the parts or the cylinder will be way deformed beyond any good dimensional honing procedure? Finally you would better use a mill for the final finish of the sleeve -mating to the head- or a lathe so as to have those kind of concentrical rings from the machining? really hope for your inputs.. please do not suggest to get other cylinders, this is a back up engine so would like to keep it low cost, the big one that we prepare has alraedy some Pauter cylinders..

Thanks in advance

Dimitrios
richie

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 19:28:30 pm »

Conventional powersleeves are flush with the top of the cylinder,and they always interfere with the studs,its an absolute bi**h to get the heads on with them,I run up to 2 1/2 bar with stock mahle 94mm cylinders,they split when you get the tune wrong,and I have seen powersleeved cylinders split just as easily

cheers richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
JIMP

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 08:56:27 am »

Hello Richie

was afraid of that interference issue but just was hoping..anyway thanks for the input I think I'll take a try to fix them, I'll keep and some pictures and data of them so if everything goes O.K. and they hold I'll post them here as reference for others that could be interested also, thanks again

Friendly

Dimitrios
Ohio Tom (DdK)

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 01:55:35 am »

If you really want to do it the a real nice way...
I re-built a motor that had an old set of powersleeved cyls.
The heads were cut with about .010" Negative deck.
The cyls had the normal ring with 2 extra cooling fins machined in them. They were close to the same diameter as the normal cyl fins.
This also allowed the holes to be drilled out large enough to clear the head studs without a problem.
Very nicely done set of cyls.
I'm told it was something Autocraft did many years ago.

Ohio Tom
08'.. 3 R/U...3 Win...
JIMP

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:24:58 am »

Hello Tom

thanks for the input, really like the idea with the extra cylinder fins, please explain what do you mean by negative deck on the heads? sorry for my English, try to understand...can I hope for some photos of them to be more apparent to me?

Friendly

Dimitrios
Ohio Tom (DdK)

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 04:03:41 am »

Sorry. No photos.
I will explain better.
The heads must have all the fins cut off down to the deck surface flat.  This reduces the heads ability to cool properly. This kind of modification should only be done for Race applications or Alcohol use.
Then they cut a .010" (.25mm) deep groove that the cyls "locate" into.

For the Cylinders, They made some press on sleeves that looked like " TT " shape. These were a "shrink fit" on to the cyls.

Ohio Tom
08'.. 3 R/U...3 Win...
JIMP

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:06:11 am »

Hello Tom

yes that was what I understood initialy about the heads but wanted to be sure, well the problem is that the heads are some superflows, much better and more expensive relatively to the cylinders, so I'd rather try for now to do some simple powersleeves and keep the heads uncutted and get some better thick cylinders for them, thank you so much for your input really apreciate it

Friendly

Dimitrios
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 08:52:47 am »

Our Lounge friend n2o have some good power sleeve information on his old web page... and to my knowledge he is still using them.
http://www.nitrousbeetle.com/nyheterdetailE.asp?ID=94

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
JIMP

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 13:07:40 pm »

Thanks JHU

exactly the information needed, even better yet because of the pics, thanks again

Friendly

Dimitrios
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 14:23:28 pm »

Our Lounge friend n2o have some good power sleeve information on his old web page... and to my knowledge he is still using them.
http://www.nitrousbeetle.com/nyheterdetailE.asp?ID=94

Impressice car, and some great info in that link!

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: