The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 18:57:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350778 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  VW Racing In Europe?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: VW Racing In Europe?  (Read 11926 times)
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« on: November 06, 2007, 15:10:12 pm »

I have Been Enjoying al the Pictures posted of the European Drag Events But I have A Question  I have Noticed that in a lot of the Video clips and pictures of DDD5 and EBI 1  That there are also V8's Racing?  when they have a VW Event is it not just VW's? or are the Events Combined With other  Events that are taking place at the same Drag Strip the same Day. Just Wondering  it's alway Nice to see a VW give a V8 an Ass Whoopin Grin Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 15:49:44 pm »

Hi Shubee,

DasDragDay is a combined Event so V8's and Ricers aswell, BUT NO V8'S at EBI... Wink

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 15:55:12 pm »

Due to the small amount of VW's that race proffessionaly in europe, you will mostly find that they will be in their own class at a larger event mostly dominated by V8s

In the UK, MSA(dragracing regulations governing body) racing meets will only permit 'legal' race cars run on that day

Some VW shows wil run a days Run What Ya Brung on one day and MSA classes the next

To make it worth them having a round of racing there, V8 classes will also be invited to make it worth while applyimg for the permit

Das Drag Day hosted the finals of the street eliminator in germany but was mostly dominated by the VW's(read all about it in the latest UltraVW Grin

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 21:22:56 pm »

Next year there will be no V8`s at Scandinavian Cal-look Classic (SCC) in Norway either, just two whole days of VW dragracing!
We were tired of the V8 people who didn`t give any priority to us, so we threw them out...  Wink

This is my simple religion:
-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Udo

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 07:38:21 am »

Hi Berger
That's a good idea  Smiley . We must have some more racecars there from all over Europe !!

@ shubee2 Here you can find pictures of both , V8 and beetles  http://1on1-motorsports.de/mambo45/component/option,com_pictool/Itemid,57/?WHICH=ddd07

Udo

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:41:00 am by Udo » Logged

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 07:47:33 am »

Yes Udo, that`s what we hope for! And we hope to see you and your fantastic car again there next year too Smiley

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:42:02 am »

Dragracing in holland is in kids shoes
You have a track in drachten where they race professionally but its more v-8 related.
I only know 2 guys that race there with beetles and they are Udo Becker and Robert Jong(or de Jong).

At vw beetle events they have some sprints but not according to any rules of the NHRa or DHRA or others.
Mostly its a sprint on some abandoned street with no saftey meassures at all( wont race on that even if they put a gun on my head Grin)

Now you have a select group of guys who are into the old callook and they are a bit into dragracing but that group is way to small for a all vw beetle class.

And dutch people in general arent that car minded like the germans,belgians,britsh or americans to name a few country's.
Mostly when something is out on the way of trends(carwise then) the dutch pick up that trend when the rest of the world moved on already to a newer trend.But this has alot to do with the sober kind of thinking here. Grin

But i hope now that you have the EBI and dragracing is taking off that there will be more cars.
And the other thing i think that keeps peops from racing is the high prices of parts Angry

Fast vw beetle's rule
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 16:51:28 pm »

Hi Berger
That's a good idea  Smiley . We must have some more racecars there from all over Europe !!

@ shubee2 Here you can find pictures of both , V8 and beetles  http://1on1-motorsports.de/mambo45/component/option,com_pictool/Itemid,57/?WHICH=ddd07

Udo

Thanks For the Link Udo Great Pictures  it looked like everyone had a lot of Fun Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Udo

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 22:03:55 pm »

Yes Udo, that`s what we hope for! And we hope to see you and your fantastic car again there next year too Smiley

I just wrote the date in my race schedule for next year !!

I think Kobus is the man to organize a trip to your event  Grin

Udo

Udo

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 22:06:16 pm »

Dragracing in holland is in kids shoes
You have a track in drachten where they race professionally but its more v-8 related.
I only know 2 guys that race there with beetles and they are Udo Becker and Robert Jong(or de Jong).

At vw beetle events they have some sprints but not according to any rules of the NHRa or DHRA or others.
Mostly its a sprint on some abandoned street with no saftey meassures at all( wont race on that even if they put a gun on my head Grin)

Now you have a select group of guys who are into the old callook and they are a bit into dragracing but that group is way to small for a all vw beetle class.

And dutch people in general arent that car minded like the germans,belgians,britsh or americans to name a few country's.
Mostly when something is out on the way of trends(carwise then) the dutch pick up that trend when the rest of the world moved on already to a newer trend.But this has alot to do with the sober kind of thinking here. Grin

But i hope now that you have the EBI and dragracing is taking off that there will be more cars.
And the other thing i think that keeps peops from racing is the high prices of parts Angry

I wonder each year why there is no street beetle racing in drachten in the streetmachine bracket class ? Only germans from my team

Udo

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:52:25 am »

I just wrote the date in my race schedule for next year !!

I think Kobus is the man to organize a trip to your event  Grin

Udo

Thats GREAT news Udo!! Looking forward to see you on the track at Gardermoen again Smiley

Kobus; what do you say, do you take the challenge?? Wink

« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 08:55:53 am by Berger » Logged

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Udo

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 13:01:29 pm »

Yes i vote for Kobus to organise the tripp  Grin. The main thing is the ferry trip . From Kiel to Oslo would be the best but very expensive . Kiel to Helisingborg what i did .

Udo

Berger

www.bugrent.no

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 13:16:32 pm »

We will make contact with Colorline and try to get an group discount for those who want to go by ferry.
An alternative is to drive through Denmark, less expensive and even faster!

Smiley

-Be cool
-Don't be an asshole
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 08:31:56 am »

Udo beetle dragracing is in kids shoes here in holland and i really mean baby new born shoes,haha Grin

I think becoz drachten isnt a well know item in the beetle scene here nobody runs on the track.
But i hope that if everything works out that there can be races again on the drachten strip i will try to
get some guys who are active on the keversiteforum to go and race there.

If we can get a lot of guys to race in drachten i may think of joining too.
Then you have dragracing in drachten,EBI and DDD and those are a few more dates that make it worth for me to build a dragracer here in europe.

I race in curacao and the caribbean and i do that a few times a year going to puerto rico,aruba,venezuela,trinidad and more,but never thought of racing here since you dont have a beetle class and for me its not worth it to risk my life sprinting at events like budel.

But i hope now that more are into racing it will take off a bit more,drachten is a official dragtrack so who knows what next year will bring. Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Udo

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 13:00:20 pm »

Yes , it looks good that next year we have 3 races in Drachten . But if you build a car look for the rules first . That is one main problem here in Europe that most cars are not leagal for Fia or other official races . I see it in Bitburg at the inspection , there are new build cars that never can pass an official inspection . On Dragday for example we have some englisch cars , Kemps and mine who can run official in Superstreet .

Udo

JeePee/DVK

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 13:09:14 pm »

Hi Udo,
Is the track in Drachten clean again?
I heard that there where some problems with the track?
Grtz:JeePee.

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
Neil Davies

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 17:06:44 pm »

Yes , it looks good that next year we have 3 races in Drachten . But if you build a car look for the rules first . That is one main problem here in Europe that most cars are not leagal for Fia or other official races . I see it in Bitburg at the inspection , there are new build cars that never can pass an official inspection . On Dragday for example we have some englisch cars , Kemps and mine who can run official in Superstreet .

Udo

Rules in the UK are quite different to the US rules - we seem to be more strict on safety for sure. Roll-cages for example, are a major stumbling block with imported cars. In O/FF you can't compete in an MSA (Motor Sport Association) event without a full 6-point cage. Even Mark Prossers bay panel van has a full cage, even though it doesn't quite meet the 12.99 index (13.50 is bloody close for a housebrick though!). When I left VWDRC the rules stated that a 6 point cage was needed for Pro (12.99 and quicker) and the faster Sportsman cars (14.99 - 12.99) needed a roll bar with rear stays. Most of the DRKC cars have just got a 4 or 5 point bar, even those into the 10s! You've got to either be suicidal or think you're tougher than God to do 10's in a s/a beetle with half a cage! Cheesy

Funnily enough, the V8's don't need cages until 10.00! Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Udo

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 17:13:39 pm »

Hi Udo,
Is the track in Drachten clean again?
I heard that there where some problems with the track?
Grtz:JeePee.

Yes , they made the track new and have a confimation for 3 races . We will see what goes on there . Can't wait to drive there again . Drachten and wittstock are the best places to drive . And Bitburg each month  Smiley .

Udo
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 17:20:21 pm by Udo » Logged

JeePee/DVK

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 17:23:21 pm »

Sounds good,maybe I will race there next year.
Are there special regulations for streetcars?
Ore just tüv,APK and thats it.
If got a 4 point harnes and a good helmet.

Roman

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 18:59:12 pm »

There rules here in Sweden are 99% NHRA. The big difference between NHRA and SHRA (Swedish NHRA) is that we often have the prevoius years NHRA ruels. The same is for the rest of Scandinavia as we have scavian cups.
NHRA Rules means Roll bar under 11 sek and Cage under 10.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 21:35:47 pm »

Jeepee look for the rules on the DHRA site.

Where do you get the rules from Udo?

My bug will be according the NHRA rules Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Udo

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007, 08:51:07 am »

NHRA rules are ok . They are the same as in Germany .

Udo

Streetmachine means  lizensplates and a 3. belt min. Rollcage from 11.5 on that is the index of this class but they run ET bracket . You can run slicks also

JeePee/DVK

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007, 09:14:22 am »

Udo

Streetmachine means  lizensplates and a 3. belt min. Rollcage from 11.5 on that is the index of this class but they run ET bracket . You can run slicks also

Sounds good Udo.
I will ask the clubmembers,if they wil join me to go racing on Drachten.
JeePee.

Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007, 14:28:26 pm »

Udo

Sounds good Udo.
I will ask the clubmembers,if they wil join me to go racing on Drachten.
JeePee.

I will support you JeePee Smiley

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 15:44:04 pm »

Will help out then Jeepee and would be great if we can compete with a complete beetle class Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 16:07:14 pm »

I looked at DHRA site,but I can not find the prizes we have to pay to race.
If it is 200 Euro's for a weekend,then there will be no beetle at the start I think.

Udo

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 17:55:02 pm »

You can find the infos on   www.explosion.nl   . Drachten races are no DHRA events except the street leagle races on some weekends . These are explosion events . You have to pay 180 euros but have 8 qualifyings if the weather is good .

Udo

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2007, 15:06:49 pm »

Serious dragracing comes at a cost Jeepee Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2007, 15:39:49 pm »

Serious dragracing comes at a cost Jeepee Grin

But why should I pay so much?
Bitburg is much cheaper,and there are more Volkswagens.
I think it is not strange that there are no streetlegal Volkswagens at Drachten.

Udo

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2007, 18:55:44 pm »

Bitburg is the best place , i know  Grin
But if you want serious Dragracing with equal competitors and classes it is better to go to Drachten sometimes . We have now a pro ET class in Germany , that means no 10,9 index  Wink

Udo

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: