The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 23:57:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350761 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Your Best VW Show/Gathering
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Your Best VW Show/Gathering  (Read 11514 times)
Dave Galassi .

« on: August 05, 2008, 14:10:44 pm »

For me.........it would have to be the old Intershows here at the Orange County Fairgrounds.  No one event in particular, just the excitement of going through fresh swap stuff ( I could go on for a long time with stories of stuff that showed up there..........).  It was a comfortable combination of street cars, resto people and stuff, a place where people brought their show cars and everyone caught up on each other's projects.  I met most of the people I know on this site there (Gabbard, Larry, Steve, Bill, etc.).  Maybe it's just nostalgia fogging my vision.......more stories later.

Second place goes to either Type 3 Day back in the 80's, or to the first time I ran my car down the strip.

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 15:24:53 pm »

Yep, the Intershows events were great. Any of the old VW based shows/events from the late '70s and '80s were my favorites. Like you, met most of my fellow VW friends there. Outside of the people in D.K.K. of course. Those shows were the best and we had a lot of good times.

The current ones are fun, but it's different. It was a different time and we were a lot younger, before. I'm just glad that we're still young enough to enjoy both eras.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 16:00:45 pm »

Type 3 Day back in the 80's,

it look like a cool meeting

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Dave Galassi .

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 16:46:23 pm »

It was Fabs.  If my memory is right, the Type 3 Ghia winner that day (and most every other day...as the car was beautiful) was Harvey "Chip" Wymer, who ironically, was visiting my work last week.  He's an attorney now, but still has a 1966 drag bug and his sons race a big block chevy, injected dragster.
The voice of Type 3 Day events was none other than Dyno, who knew how to rev up the crowd.  I remember wanting so badly to have my car at the first one, but didn't get it done until the third.  Paige Proctor and I debuted our cars at the same time.  Lots of good parts around at the time.

Another fun event for me was the Berg Rally in the 80's.  Heck, any rally for that matter!  Lots of crackling carbs and tread testing.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 16:58:54 pm »

here's an report of the 1st type 3 day dave

Jim Ratto

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 17:59:40 pm »

several, and each has its own highpoint

Baylands in Femont (first time I saw a VW pull front wheels)

Bug Bash in Pleasanton CA from the 80's and early 90's, really my first exposure to the VW following, attending this show before I could even legally drive. Where I first was stunned by Pete Staat's blue "Pete's Dragon", later I would work the Buggy House booth at the shows, with my '67 parked next to me, blasting Sex Pistols and The Cult and getting sunburned

VW Jamboree in Costa Mesa: first went summer of 1990, shortly after the rebirth of real Cal look as far as the mass media went... lined up were G. Berg's car, Schwimmer's car, Jim Lowe's car, Dave Mason and Dave Rhoads. For a guy that had only seen BRMs in old b/w photos, this was a VW high point. Plus the trip got me out of having to hang out with this really clingy chick and her family that day.

VW Classic in early 90's. Hot rod cal look cars didn't make up 85% of the cars like today. Plus it was cool to drive my '67 a few times down to Irvine from Oakland area and walk around cooking on that asphalt, then having to drive back Sunday night, going through Bakersfiled @ 8pm and 100F....yeah that was fun @ 22 yr old Roll Eyes

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 19:15:29 pm »

VW Jamboree in Costa Mesa: first went summer of 1990, shortly after the rebirth of real Cal look as far as the mass media went... lined up were G. Berg's car, Schwimmer's car, Jim Lowe's car, Dave Mason and Dave Rhoads. For a guy that had only seen BRMs in old b/w photos, this was a VW high point.

this one jim   Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 19:18:15 pm by speedwell » Logged

vulgaris
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 23:00:32 pm »

The girl looks like Sheep in drag Huh
Tony M

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 23:34:52 pm »

For me it had to be the show at Sears Point - mid-late 80's - show cars, show girls, 1/4 mile, show girls, lots of picts of show girls, we helped on an off road car and he was there - at the end of the show Chrome Don fired up the off road car and was tearing up the hills - got us kicked out - but the show girls  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Life is too fast to drive a slow VW
Stephan S

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 01:59:11 am »

1/ Any of the Pre-Classic DKP Cruise Nights (June). Surprised?  Wink

2/ Some of the British and French events, back in '87 and '88: 1st and 2nd Bug Jam @ Santa Pod; VW Connection (before it became the Super VW National)... Fantastic era to be a young VW enthusiast in Europe. EVERYTHING was new and exciting - it was just the beginning of the "new wave" VW scene.

3/ 1st and 2nd DKP Drag Day at Carlsbad Raceway. Legendary location, great people, etc.

4/ More recently? This year's VW Classic + the 1st So-Cal Vintage Treffen in Orange (2007). Yeah, I know, it's a vintage event; but the location and the cars were amazing.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff...

Der Kleiner Panzers
Stephan S

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 02:08:53 am »

VW Jamboree in Costa Mesa: first went summer of 1990, shortly after the rebirth of real Cal look as far as the mass media went... lined up were G. Berg's car, Schwimmer's car, Jim Lowe's car, Dave Mason and Dave Rhoads. For a guy that had only seen BRMs in old b/w photos, this was a VW high point. Plus the trip got me out of having to hang out with this really clingy chick and her family that day.

I almost forgot the Jamboree! Went there for the first time in '91. Great event! True, there were only a handful of "true" Cal Look cars back then. I clearly remember speaking with a guy called Bill Schwimmer in particular  Smiley
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:15:32 am by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Donny B.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 02:14:19 am »

Back in the late 80s I met a guy (I'll be he doesn't remember).  I was admiring his car with Sprint stars on it and a dual carb motor with Berg linkage.  He was very friendly walking up to get in his car.  We spoke briefly then my wife and I had to leave.  John Rayburn, I'm pretty sure it was you I met at the Jamboree those many years ago.

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2008, 05:07:34 am »

I remember SCS showdowns and the Volkswagen Jamboree going with my Dad those are the days that got me hooked on VW's.

Drag Day is always fun as well as Clydes Drag-In's I also look forward to the next Bug-in.

I also go to about every P.R.A, event and always enjoy those.

My most memorable though so far would this years Classic my first as a DKP member good times! 

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Bryan67

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2008, 06:09:17 am »

There`s soooo many. The Bug Bashfrom the 80`s, California caravan and the old Bug O Ramas, Deer park SOTO meets, Intershows, Early Kelly Park, Jamborees..... Then of course the Madera Spring Flings and the other Madera shows. I`m a little biased on those since I was part of that from the beginning but still a good time.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 07:09:36 am »

My first vw Jamboree in the end of the 80's when i still lived in the usa Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
quickkafer

German-Pride.com

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2008, 07:52:03 am »

Sounds corny, but...

VW Classic 2005.  This was the year that Herbie took full run of center stage.  There was Herbie memoribilia everywhere.  While I do like Herbie, I'm not a Herbie fanatic, but my daughter was!  She was only 6 at the time and she and I went down together early in the morning (3+ hour drive from Vegas) and she LOVED the show.  It was a wonderful bonding experience for me and my daughter, and one I will never forget.  We took turns racing the little micro RC herbie cars, taking each other's picture in front of the movie Herbies with my digital camera. 

Sorry, for the heart warming story...  now back to our regularly scheduled testostorone conversations. Grin  Grunt!  Grunt!  LOL!

Scott Faivre

mg

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2008, 22:12:48 pm »

Best?
I could say anytime when the car didnt break or better yet when I did well.
All those mentioned were great fun, but the my best events were when the night before made you feel like a kid the night before Christmas.
Couple of OCIR Bug in pre-partys were like that.
First time I took my pink drag bug to the SCS showdown (met Dave G there  Wink) was the last time I felt like that.
Was going to leave for the show at 4am woke up at 1am and went there very early.
Even at 2am others must of felt the same way as the line was already long.
Kinda feels like the anticapation when you are in line waitng for the Classic gates to open, but stronger. Smiley
Dave Galassi .

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2008, 23:44:12 pm »

Best?
I could say anytime when the car didnt break or better yet when I did well.
All those mentioned were great fun, but the my best events were when the night before made you feel like a kid the night before Christmas.
Couple of OCIR Bug in pre-partys were like that.
First time I took my pink drag bug to the SCS showdown (met Dave G there  Wink) was the last time I felt like that.
Was going to leave for the show at 4am woke up at 1am and went there very early.
Even at 2am others must of felt the same way as the line was already long.
Kinda feels like the anticapation when you are in line waitng for the Classic gates to open, but stronger. Smiley

Couldn't have put it any better Mike.  Good times.   
mg

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 00:44:59 am »

SCS showdown 87/88?
I displayed a bug next to Dave's T3, we were only about 8 cars down from the Tongue stage.
Most parked near the stage had an early morning.
Parking was not by car class.
Dave can you post a photo of that car?
The one with the James Bond tailights. Cool
iowa mark

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 01:51:23 am »

In 1972 as a newly transplanted rural midwesterner in southern California. I was waiting to see where the United States Navy was going to send me. I remembered the show I had been seeing in that VW magazine was this week-end. Think I'll scoot up to Orange County and see what all the hoop-la is about. Coming from a Volkswagen scene that was stock with a slight sprinkling of J C Whitney, I was anything but prepared for what that day held. Just the parking lot at OCIR gave me goose bumps. A sea of German rolling stock scattered like easter eggs all around me. Then, the scream of something very angry at 8000rpms just beyond the bleachers.  The hair on the back of my neck stood straight up, and stayed that way most of the day. Bits of that feeling will come back sometimes when a motor fires up for the first time, or a racer stays in it as they are swapping lanes heading for the best time they have ever run, or you find yourself in a room filled with people that you have admired through magazine articles for years. But, that very first baseball bat to my senses has the power to keep me messing with these antiques after all these years.
mg

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 02:50:29 am »

Dave your T-3 get a bunch of these?
Did you save a few?

« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 03:37:01 am by MG » Logged
Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 01:07:08 am »

For me it had to be the show at Sears Point - mid-late 80's - show cars, show girls, 1/4 mile, show girls, lots of picts of show girls, we helped on an off road car and he was there - at the end of the show Chrome Don fired up the off road car and was tearing up the hills - got us kicked out - but the show girls  Shocked Shocked Shocked

The in-house "No Tax Days"/car shows we had at Buggy House were always fun too.....very grass roots, more of customer appreciation days really... free hot dogs and sodas, some bitchin cars, Geoff spun some neat selections of wide spectrum of rock n roll. The day McNulty left in the Versgrove Berg 2213cc 'vert and stood it on the dual can mufflers.... that was the day.
kafercup

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 01:32:58 am »

YAY!!!! Ratto's back!!   Grin

Yeah that was awesome with McNulty taking off so hard in the Versgrove convertible that it pulled the front wheels off the ground, then popped the drivers door open when the front end touched back down.  He's a crazy mo-fo!!!! Grin Grin
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 12:27:14 pm »

YAY!!!! Ratto's back!!   Grin

I was cleaning out the rats, not rattos :-)

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Sarge

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 13:24:08 pm »

I like the VW Classic the best.  Always a great time and a chance to see all your friends in one place.  My other fave is The Panic in nearby Upland...always a good vibe.  Hey Jim, how 'bout a beer?? Roll Eyes Wink

DKP III
48IDA66

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 13:51:56 pm »

My best VW show must be the "VW Classic" back in 1990, on my first trip to the US... Wink..
I remember the weater was not the best, my  friend Bob has planing to go in his Hebmuller, but when to set off from San Diego to LA it was raining!!!, no Heb... Embarrassed, But  in 92 I was back and going to the "Classic" in the Heb.!!! Grin...
Dave Galassi .

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 16:06:07 pm »

SCS showdown 87/88?
I displayed a bug next to Dave's T3, we were only about 8 cars down from the Tongue stage.

Mike, that wasn't just any "bug" you had on display that day........The crowd was Tickled Pink.

There are a bunch of photos of that car if you search the archives Mike.  Maybe look under "ancient history". 

I miss those reflectors the most from that car..........got a lot of people with them.  I can only hope the current owner has had as much fun with them.

Now, there was a party at Sarge's house that was incredible as well.  Failed to mention that in my first post.  A real history lesson!

The Classic has a soft spot in my heart as well.  For years, I used to drive down (one year in the Notch - and left it parked overnight on the street) to Chuck Coli's (Chuck's Convertible Parts) house and spend the night, then head out really early..........what a beautiful drive that was/is.  Now, if only they could add drag racing in the parking lot................
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 16:16:59 pm »

SCS showdown 87/88?

Mike, that wasn't just any "bug" you had on display that day........The crowd was Tickled Pink.

There are a bunch of photos of that car if you search the archives Mike.  Maybe look under "ancient history". 

i saw  apicture in my magazine of the tickled pink at scs

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 16:39:03 pm »

As far as more recent gatherings go, they're all great. And I enjoy every one of them. But one that shall always remain fresh in my memory will be the this year's Bug-In 33. I saw so many old friends that I haven't seen since the early/mid '80s. Another highlight was getting a lot of the people from D.K.K. together for this group shot, taken by my girlfriend.

Can't wait for a more organized reunion of our club members.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2008, 17:14:39 pm »

mark can you named the guys , i recognize bill , rick , worm , brian , glenn , danny , and you
thx
fabs

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: