The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 16:07:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Red Baron into 7 seconds!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Red Baron into 7 seconds!!  (Read 17977 times)
deano

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 03:53:21 am »

Foot Note. Both the first 9-second run by a n/a sedan (Dean Lowry), and the first 8-second run by a VW sedan (Eric Calabrese) were using the A/F head design.... Not sure which cylinder head Chris Bubetz was using for his first 8-second run (Auto-Craft or Pauter).

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
ugly duckling

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:57 am »

it was pauter deano. chrises car was just a little more ACTION PACKED when it left the starting line with ALL FOURS leaving the ground bitchen car in deed . UD .

dangerous

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2010, 20:42:38 pm »

I think you will find that Chris eventually went Pauter, but ran the first eight using SF heads.
(when the car was graphic'ed and black).
Gunnar|Rennfahrer

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2010, 10:34:09 am »

Well done.

Can someone explain how you can go faster with a lower top speed is this all down to reaction time and launch ? As in may it was 8.277/175.63mph (hotvw)and now under 8sec but slower at 175mph, sorry if its a dumb question, just wondered ?

I'm not sure that anyone really explained this correctly!?
Yes it is!
Often a faster start with better traction could lower the rpms slightly more than a slower start with either more clutch or wheel spin would do.
And the ET is faster due to a better start,
top end speed is reduced due to the lower start rpms.
Higer rpms out of the stage often makes the engine make more power faster and it will then catch up speed quicker.
As usual, the best thing is inbetweeen, this will probably make the best ET.

At dragdays with lots of different street cars on street tires this is easy to understand,
you can have a high horsepower rwd front engined car in one run and a lower horespower Beetle in the next.
They can make the same ET, but the Beetle will beat the other car at 1/8, but when they get closer to the 1/4 the high horsepower rwd front engined car will catch up really quickly.
This is caused by wheelspin on the other car out of the stage, but when it gets good enough traction it will get use of all of its horses, and catch up.

Have i got this right?
Until anyone explains this in another way, this is how it is inside my head...

Gunnar

Rennfahrers VW Club
Paul Bate

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 19:20:02 pm »

Congratulations,

I Just wanted to say what a great job you guys have done with the car and the ET is just amazing. Not sure where the next mile stone is but I think you have it in the bag for a long while and no one car take that away!!!

Well done pure class Smiley

All the best Paul

Instagram: flatfourperformance_vw

Real street since 1994 drive to the track race and drive home no bull !

11.49 Natually Aspirated
10.79 Nitrous

1960 lbs with driver!
Helge/DFL

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 19:56:23 pm »

ok. It`s off topic, but the CSP-Type-34 breaks the 8 with a Type1-engine, a Type1-gearbox, full bodied, all steel, RLR-chassied-Volkswagen last weekend at the SCC in Norway/Europe. As far as I know, the "8" was never hit with a Type1-engine/gearbox, right?

-DFL- Der Fieser Luftkühlers
`59 Dragrace Beetle "Stage Fright"
`62 ragtop Beetle
ugly duckling

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 04:43:11 am »

as far as i know BOOMBETS had a t1 box when he cracked the 8 sec barrier. the guy that was building his boxes at the time told me that one race the bearings there would be nothing left or very littel that was reusable. either mike Herbert built his box or Harold carter did. cant remember . UD

Marty

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 13:43:59 pm »

As far as I know, the "8" was never hit with a Type1-engine/gearbox, right?

I ran an 8.52 with a stock mag case and T1 trans in the LGK dragster.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 13:46:00 pm by Marty » Logged
Big Power

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2010, 14:23:22 pm »

very cool what they have done congrats to them. and stealth what do you mean big heads THE A FLOWS ARE PLENTY BIG. if anything there going to be doing A ABOUT FACE Sad if anything if they go that route at least for awhile when they get ALL the GREMILEN,S  out and belive me they havem every head dose. either way congrats to the boys for upseting vw HISTORY thats the coolest. UD . btw if they do happen to go qwicker with the new heads that will be great. at least we know that the LEGENDARY ORIGINAL 27 YEAR old/new DESIGN AFLOWS DID IT FIRST and you cant take it away from the heads. FIRST (DOOR SLAMER) IN THE 9S old style (NA). AND FIRST (DOOR SLAMER) IN THE 7S new style (HAIR DRYER.) couldnt ask for anthing better. UD. 
You are very correct Jeff, it will be a learning experience with the Strip Dominator heads. Very few major changes to an engine work out perfect the first time out. The strip dominator structurally is stronger than the angle flow, this is what Eric needs. As far as flow, the 4" Strip Dominator flows 19 percent more than the Angle flows they had on the engine, using the same diameter valve. There was absolutley NO welding done to the strip Dominator, they don't need it. I am not taking anything away from the Angle Flow, those heads are very nice. What more can you ask out of a head than a 7 second 1/4 mile.
bugnut68

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2010, 17:33:23 pm »

as far as i know BOOMBETS had a t1 box when he cracked the 8 sec barrier. the guy that was building his boxes at the time told me that one race the bearings there would be nothing left or very littel that was reusable. either mike Herbert built his box or Harold carter did. cant remember . UD

I was just reading the feature on Chris' car the other night in the July 1997 Hot Vws... appears Carter's Gear Box Shop built his tranny.  That was a great read, can't remember the last time I read it... dont' remember hearing about the water circulation system that cooled the intake charge, interesting stuff!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: