The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 12:54:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Flywheel thinking... what are the dowels doing?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Flywheel thinking... what are the dowels doing?  (Read 18929 times)
Lightning

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 23:55:23 pm »

From what I read in engineering circles a dowel is only supposed to locate things, and newer take any actual load, but it is recognized that they may help. Of course we know that they do make a difference. I guess our practice came from what Porsche did on the 356, since that had eight dowels, but what was Porsche trying to solve?

This is true, dowels are mostly used to align parts in the right position. Therefore, not much data is available on applications like this transferring shear force. Did however find something in the (German) car engineers bible, the 'Kraftfahrtechnisches Taschenbuch' from Bosch, 26th edition.

As earlier described, the dowels themselves are not an issue, manufactured from high tensile strength steel and maybe even hardened. It's the softer materials in crank and flywheel that suffer due to the edge pressure when shear forces are applied. The dowels have a sliding fit in crank and flywheel, the mentioned bible indicate allowable surface tension in the range of 10 N/mm2 in this case, the exact material condition of crank and flywheel being unknown to me. This means the dowels can take a torque of app. 8Nm provided all 4 take an equal share of the load. Double the number of dowels to 8 and you double to 16Nm, with even less chance of even distribution. Not really impressive...

Regarding the later Porsche 356 engines, they have 8 Ø6mm dowels which are 2mm shorter. They have the same sliding fit in crank and flyhweel. These can only cope with 8Nm. Don't know exactly why Porsche did this, but maybe to get some more crank end surface for the clever thing they did do; increase the torque of the center bolt to 450-500Nm on the 75, 90 and 95 DIN HP engines.

The situation is better if dowel pin holes in both flywheel and crank are precision drilled together and dowel pins then pressed in. Then you can transfer app. 200Nm with 8 dowels, but that's were you started anyway....
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2011, 20:24:03 pm »

Thanks for putting some figures behind all these solutions Lightning. Seem like a WBX solution has alot going for it, those 1100nm would not keep me up at night. It's also good to have a figure on how much a dowel can transfer if push came to shove, but it seems like most 8 dowel mounting wouldn't stand a chance. 

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Fast Eddie

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2011, 21:26:48 pm »

i got some bolts from germany for my type 4. they look standard but are not from a VW. they can be torqued up to 180nm.
i have no dowels in my flywheel. which i was worried about to start with, but from what ive read elsewhere and now here, i think i'll be ok!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: