The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 21:48:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350764 Posts in 28587 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Dry sump system
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dry sump system  (Read 5238 times)
fastbus

« on: July 29, 2013, 18:05:23 pm »

Hi Loungers,

I planning a dry sump system for my oxyboxer conversion.  Huh
Will i need to change or modified the oil pick up pipe to help with the system or is the stock pick up ok?

Cheers
Paul

13.66@102mph in my old T3 crew cab builders truck!
13.01@109mph in my bug so far!
Stripped66

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 15:23:14 pm »

Hi Loungers,

I planning a dry sump system for my oxyboxer conversion.  Huh
Will i need to change or modified the oil pick up pipe to help with the system or is the stock pick up ok?

Cheers
Paul

I would recommend not using the stock WBX pick-up (for any oiling system). The stock pick-up is near the center of the case, which is a good distance away from the lowest point of the case. If you're going to stick with a pick-up inside the case, modify/fabricate one that is located further back near the lowest point.  I drilled and tapped the oil drain boss for a -12 ORB fitting (with a conical-screen inlet) to scavenge the case; IMO, it's in a great location.
fastbus

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 18:47:42 pm »

Thanks for your info Stripped66. That's something i will look into before it goes together.
 Wink

Anyone using the CSP dry sump pump on there engine?
It looks reasonably priced but any reviews on its strengths and weaknesses would be interesting before i make a decision.

ED2.4

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:45:21 am »

Hi,
CSP dry sump pump is the CB one ,i've got one on the shelf , nice product but 26/21mm gears seems to be not enough for all engines ,personally i prefer the Bugpack or Thorsten Pieper ones  ,
pulley clearance is another thing.... Smiley

DeluxeRacingTeam >>>>  http://charlie48ida.skynetblogs.be/
fastbus

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 16:13:32 pm »

Thanks for your reply. This is the kind of input i need to hear  Wink

The Bugpack version looks like it has an extra scavenge attached?
If i was to connect the scavenge connection of the turbo oil outlet, would this work sufficiently enough to scavenge it or would you see it being an interference with its normal oil flow?
My theory is if the oil is pressured in to the turbo, surely suction pressure should be ok as long as its no greater?

andy198712

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:33:36 am »

Thanks for your reply. This is the kind of input i need to hear  Wink

The Bugpack version looks like it has an extra scavenge attached?
If i was to connect the scavenge connection of the turbo oil outlet, would this work sufficiently enough to scavenge it or would you see it being an interference with its normal oil flow?
My theory is if the oil is pressured in to the turbo, surely suction pressure should be ok as long as its no greater?

the BP pump has two options for suction, the stock location or the external one...... if you use both wouldn't it stall the pump and loose suction? cavitate (sp)
fastbus

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 07:02:27 am »

Maybe a separate sump from the turbo oil return is the answer just like my previous set up. Then i could just scavenge that with the Bug Pack pump.
Oil pulling pressure would only work once there is a quantity of oil in the sump. Once oil is at a depth in the sump, only then it would only pull it through pressure.
Other than that it would only pull air from the sump vent.
This way i would have to pump it back in to the case and not back down the return feed to the oil tank.
This should make it a separate pressure system from the cases main oil circulation.

Do you think this would work?

andy198712

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 12:44:00 pm »

hmmmm,

my BP pump has a set of 60mm gears for suction and 30 for pressure.

the 60mm gears have two inlets, one from the stock location, other can be external, i thought you could only use one, as if you use both and one sucks air, surely then it wouldnt suck oil from the other inlet and would loose prime?
maybe this wont be a case, as the 60mm gears are huge!

if you had the drain line from the turbo plumbed into the pump, you would be sucking oil from the drain, and so long as the turbo had a constant feed of oil the pump would just suck the oil through it.... maybe too much?

thats why to have multiple oil pickups you normally have separate stages in the pump, like a 3 stage would have two suction and one pressure...

not quite sure i'm explaining this very well.

can you feed the turbo too much oil?

i just worry it will loose prime. if you had the drain to a mini sump, the pump would empty that sump in seconds i would have thought...? then it will be trying to drag oil through the turbo?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:46:07 pm by andy198712 » Logged
fastbus

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 18:40:00 pm »

I take it the pump suction work both out puts at the same time and not individually ?

I need a system the would work individual suctions so 1 works the case and the other draws from the turbo sump back into the case.

Is this do-able?

andy198712

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 20:04:05 pm »

Or just run a small scavenge pump for the turbo, electric one maybe... ?
Fiatdude

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 21:39:43 pm »

Remember -- a dry sump system is just that - it will have times that every bit of oil will be gone from sump(s) -- the oil in the line past the pump will "fall" back to the pump and keep the pump oiled and primed -- all oil is pumped into the top of a storage tank, so that air in the line is not an issue and that is your supply for the pressure side (so you can get away with a smaller pressure gears) -- the 60mm/30mm pump or the CB pump will handle the road race guys needs in long races at high rpm's -- so I don't think there should be to much problems for a 7 to 13 sec pass
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 21:43:52 pm by Fiatdude » Logged

Fiat -- GONE
Ovalholio -- GONE
Ghia -- -- It's going

Get lost for an evening or two -- http://selvedgeyard.com/

Remember, as you travel the highway of life,
For every mile of road, there is 2 miles of ditch
fastbus

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 21:52:20 pm »

I may as well just use the electric oil scavenge pump for the turbo i already have and then run a csp pump for the main oil system.

Thanks for your info dude!
 Wink

andy198712

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 21:58:26 pm »

Remember -- a dry sump system is just that - it will have times that every bit of oil will be gone from sump(s) -- the oil in the line past the pump will "fall" back to the pump and keep the pump oiled and primed -- all oil is pumped into the top of a storage tank, so that air in the line is not an issue and that is your supply for the pressure side (so you can get away with a smaller pressure gears) -- the 60mm/30mm pump or the CB pump will handle the road race guys needs in long races at high rpm's -- so I don't think there should be to much problems for a 7 to 13 sec pass

yeah good point, so it just primes its self again easily i guess?

i'm glad i've DFL coated my BP pump, should help it last a bit longer!
andy198712

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 22:01:12 pm »

I may as well just use the electric oil scavenge pump for the turbo i already have and then run a csp pump for the main oil system.

Thanks for your info dude!
 Wink

i'm no expert, just the information i've gathered on the pump as i plan to use it in my engine build.

i'm also tempted to use a lecy scavenge pump on my turbo also as it will save any drain back issues
fastbus

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 22:06:19 pm »

This is the info i need to here regarding the pressure side of the system.
Cheers Fiatdude!
 Wink

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: