The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:12:18 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350702 Posts in 28579 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Drilling Your Heads...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Drilling Your Heads...  (Read 18120 times)
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« on: February 05, 2008, 18:28:51 pm »

I just cleaned up my heads to have the valves/seats and springs checked. I also carefully grinded out all the casting flash. If one would drill small holes in the cooling fins, would it aid in heat dissapation ? Anyone experimented in the past?
Thanks,
Harry

Done ? Not Yet.
Peter

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 19:10:51 pm »

do you mean drilling the casting flash near the exhaust ports?
or drill through the fins?
richie

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 19:40:26 pm »

I just cleaned up my heads to have the valves/seats and springs checked. I also carefully grinded out all the casting flash. If one would drill small holes in the cooling fins, would it aid in heat dissapation ? Anyone experimented in the past?
Thanks,
Harry

Yep,its supposed too,more surface area equals more heat disapation Smiley  I have never actually tried it though\
cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Harry/FDK

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2008, 20:29:52 pm »

do you mean drilling the casting flash near the exhaust ports?
or drill through the fins?
Only the Fins. And within reason...

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 20:33:55 pm »

I just would like to get more cool air through the holes of the fins. I'm sure there are some early racers that experimented with that. I bet Ugly Duckling did. Wink

Done ? Not Yet.
Neil Davies

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 12:50:56 pm »

You'd need to measure how thick the fin is, then work out the diameter of hole that would give you more exposed surface area!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 13:09:52 pm »

You have to consider how much surface you remove by drilling, against the amount of surface you get in the circumference.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 18:39:32 pm »

You have to consider how much surface you remove by drilling, against the amount of surface you get in the circumference.

oooh... good point!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Type1/DVK

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 20:23:39 pm »

and maybe it will slightly mess up the airflow.. more circulation around the holes? i was wondering about drilling also, why nobody did it.

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 21:00:09 pm »

if you go into one of the old VW service books from the 60's, there is a bulletin in there for 1200cc engines, if they experience "pinking" (pinging) under load, VW said to drill holes through fins. I don't have book at hand, it's buried at home, so i don't know size, how many, etc. And no I have never tried it.

Take care,
JIm
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 03:41:07 am »

It's time to call Jeff.

I also park at Nick's.
Bruce

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 04:33:56 am »

You also have to consider the reduction in mass.  Less mass means less heat sink.
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 07:06:18 am »

I think I'd rather just paint the fins flat black.

I also park at Nick's.
Steve D.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2008, 02:45:22 am »

I think I'd rather just paint the fins flat black.

Paint 'em 80's pink- it doesn't make a fokken difference unless its in sunlight.

As for drilling holes, you would have to do some math to make sure that by drilling holes you would actually be INcreasing surface area instead of DEcreasing.  TMFWIMOTPNMAD

(Too Much F'ing Work In My Opinion To Probably Not Make Any Difference)

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
Jason Young

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2008, 09:56:21 am »

sounds like something vw would have thought of through the years and years of R&D if it was actually a good idea.
richie

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2008, 19:10:55 pm »

sounds like something vw would have thought of through the years and years of R&D if it was actually a good idea.

Except the costs would outplace the gains,and money talks,i would think it would be too time consueming for a major manufacturer to do,but the inventive home hobbiest or small shop could spend the time,particularly on heads with minimal fin area[Comp Elims,Super Flos,Angle flows,910s etc]and see some gains,well maybe Wink

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Harry/FDK

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 16:56:56 pm »

It's time to call Jeff.

Yes, i bet he has experimented in the past doing this.

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2008, 20:32:42 pm »

and maybe it will slightly mess up the airflow.. more circulation around the holes? i was wondering about drilling also, why nobody did it.

That's what we want !

Done ? Not Yet.
Harry/FDK

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2008, 20:39:18 pm »

if you go into one of the old VW service books from the 60's, there is a bulletin in there for 1200cc engines, if they experience "pinking" (pinging) under load, VW said to drill holes through fins. I don't have book at hand, it's buried at home, so i don't know size, how many, etc. And no I have never tried it.

Take care,
JIm
Hi Jim, i just talked to the father of a german colleque of mine who is digging out that manual and actually did it himself for VW. Tomorrow i'm getting the paperwork and then we'll see.
Take care Figment.

Done ? Not Yet.
alex d

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 10:57:08 am »

Take care,
JIm

I think I have that book, I'll try to scan that part
Harry/FDK

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2008, 16:45:39 pm »

You'd need to measure how thick the fin is, then work out the diameter of hole that would give you more exposed surface area!

I did some homework today and foud out that you actually can create More surface area by calculating what you posted.
Thanks Neil/JHU
One more thing that got me thinking is the angle to drill. (More surface/direction of airflow?) I wish there was a way to simulate all this before messing up some heads.

Alex if you can. please do,
Thanks,
Harry
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 16:47:49 pm by FDK/Hurry » Logged

Done ? Not Yet.
Type1/DVK

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2008, 16:55:52 pm »

before messing up some heads

Test on some 1200's?

You probably can test it on your workbench.. sort of like mythbusters Smiley

Love to see the scan'ed part!

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
Harry/FDK

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2008, 17:51:15 pm »

Alex, any news ?

Done ? Not Yet.
alex d

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008, 12:13:30 pm »

Alex, any news ?

yeah, I found the book! I'll scan it this evening (which can be tricky as I don't own a scanner  Grin )
Type1/DVK

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008, 12:48:25 pm »

or make a picture and post it @ hi-res Smiley

Johannes Persson

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 20:35:42 pm »

Interesting question FDK/Hurry,

In the seventies it was very popular to do this modification on moto-cross bikes, they were all aircooled at that time.
I did some calculation and found that the ratio is:D=4s, s=thickness of fin, D=diameter of drilled hole.

Ex:if you drill a hole that is four times the thickness of the fin you have the same cooling area, but if you drill a hole that is two times the thickness of the fin you have 50% more cooling(exposed) area.

The thickness of a cooling fin on an original type one head is aprox 2.5mm, with the ratio D=4s, shows us going bigger than 10mm hole decreases the cooling area, I think that 5mm hole could be a good starting point.

I think it is worth a try.

Regards
Johannes

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 22:57:44 pm »

Hmmmmmm VERY VERY VERY Interesting  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
eugene

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 03:35:35 am »

I'm afraid the holes (R) should be smaller than 2D to gain any cooling area. Wit a hole you get rid surface on both side of the fin. So holes of 2-3 mm should  have some worthy gains. Other thing to consider is the effect of the reduced conductive area trough the aluminum for the heath to  quickly migrate from the hot areas around the chamber further trough the fins. It will be maybe better to increase the number of holes towards the end of the fins. In theory the concept seems valid. Now we need some real word testing. So who will be the first. Imagine a wild 36hp cased engine with some reworked, drilled okrasa heads running down the strip. Grin
Johannes Persson

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 10:26:23 am »

Eugene,
You are absolutely right, there are cooling surfaces on both sides of the fin, my misstake.
The new ratio should be like this: D should be less than 2s.

Regards
Johannes
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 13:06:07 pm by Johannes Persson » Logged
eugene

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 12:07:45 pm »

If testing on an working engine looks complicated, someone could run some tests on a bare head with an electrical heater of some sorts attached to the combustion chamber and a blower or fan  providing some air steam trough the fins. Taking temperature readings for a drilled and stock head. Doing so the effect of the  turbulence, produced by the holes, has  on the  heath dissipation could be studied. This could be very interesting.

Regards
Iztok
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 12:09:59 pm by eugene » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: