The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 02:09:12 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350777 Posts in 28590 Topics by 6824 Members
Latest Member: 63calLQQK
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Are these Cooling fans any good?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Are these Cooling fans any good?  (Read 5390 times)
leec

« on: June 05, 2010, 16:23:28 pm »

Thinking of taking the tinware/fan/alternator off of my race car and running these on some twinport head tins.....

Are these any good? Feedback?

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=227

Lee
RMS Boxer Service

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 16:39:56 pm »

I don't know abot these CB cooling fans, but I bought a used set of Berg cooling fans for a customer's drag engine and they
where working fine. The CB cooling fans looks just like the Berg ones.  I see no reason why they shoul'nt be good Smiley

/Rolf
deanosvws

OFF 24

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 00:01:14 am »

hi lee, well done at the weekend. these fans do work well and cool directly where it is needed. heads etc.

cheers dean

OUTLAW FLAT FOUR
leec

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 05:56:22 am »

hi lee, well done at the weekend. these fans do work well and cool directly where it is needed. heads etc.

cheers dean

Thanks Dean,

Want to go faster now!

Lee
Phil West

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 07:01:33 am »

yeah but they weigh a ton.....
Adele AW

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:07:52 am »

Lee,

Are you running the car on the road? If not as Phil says,
the motors on the fans make them heavy if you are removing the original one because of weight? You will need a decent battery to
run these also. If you are going strip only just take it all off and dont replace it. Run it up and See how hot it gets first, mine runs super
cool for some reason, not sure if the C12 had much to do with it but try it first, you might be suprised.

Of course if you are using it on the road then completely ignore me  Cheesy

O/FF 621
leec

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 14:38:38 pm »

Hi Adele,

Think im just going to run without them now. Ive come to the conclusion that it runs fine without the fan belt now, its only the trip back to the pits im concerned about so im just going to buy a quad!!!

Thanks

Lee
yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 15:00:44 pm »

Next time you see Chris (belgian guy with the orange beetle on rivieras), ask him about his 'special' belt.
It's expandable, so you can easily put it on and off. And it works to about 3,000 rpm.
leec

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 15:57:32 pm »

The point is to remove all the tinware, to save weight. I currently race without the belt then slip it on at the end of the run off area to drive back to the pits
Adele AW

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 16:40:10 pm »

The point is to remove all the tinware, to save weight. I currently race without the belt then slip it on at the end of the run off area to drive back to the pits

Lee, If it helps, i think we noticed a weight difference of around 18-20kgs without all of the tinware and alternator. It toal we lost around 35kgs of weight through the winter with the removal of the cooling/tinware/MSD and a couple of other little bits.

Smiley

Adele

O/FF 621
cpalma

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 16:58:15 pm »

hi there! also considering removing all the engine tin and the fan/alternator assy to save weight - can i go a full event say 10 quarter mile passes plus the run to the pits and staging on just a full battery w/o charging from the alternator? will this not affect the the "sparks" from the msd, or do i need to bring a backup battery just to be sure? thanks...
Adele AW

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 17:21:09 pm »

hi there! also considering removing all the engine tin and the fan/alternator assy to save weight - can i go a full event say 10 quarter mile passes plus the run to the pits and staging on just a full battery w/o charging from the alternator? will this not affect the the "sparks" from the msd, or do i need to bring a backup battery just to be sure? thanks...

Hi, You will not have enough charge for a full event. We charge the battery with the charger in between rounds. I think may car would last 2 races before needing charging, and that is with being towed back to the pits Smiley You need as much charge as possible to run the car at an optimum! Smiley

Adele

O/FF 621
SteveW

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 21:42:59 pm »

Lee, If it helps, i think we noticed a weight difference of around 18-20kgs without all of the tinware and alternator. It toal we lost around 35kgs of weight through the winter with the removal of the cooling/tinware/MSD and a couple of other little bits.

Smiley

Adele

Adele meant pounds not kg's Smiley

Steve
1961 Oldspeed Beetle
1970 Stock Beetle.
Udo

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 22:30:56 pm »

I think the fans work good for racing . you can heat up the oil and then stop the engine and cool down the heads ... We still run them on our black 67 and like it

Udo

cpalma

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 00:29:07 am »

Thanks Adele for the feedback.....Cris
RFbuilt

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 09:51:42 am »

chris,

why not fab a bracket, to support a honda/To#¤ta alternator.. the small ones,  wouldnt the newer alternators have less load? theyre tiny..

could hold a good charge for a day's event   including those cooling fans?

im sure in ur side of the pond.. theres alot of those alternators hehe
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 10:01:28 am by RFbuilt » Logged
cpalma

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 06:07:47 am »

hi RFbuilt,

yes was thinking about it already, thanks for bringing that up. Right you are that in these parts, alternators for jap cars are plentiful and cheap, just need to adapt one to the flat4 engine....
RFbuilt

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 07:15:02 am »

an aly bracket.. would be nice.. light and non rusting..

if u need help pare

(woops) hehe
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: